help with....

Well, ToT is a band that has indeed changed a lot through the years, so it is pretty impossible to tell how their music is like, but I'll try to give you some of my opinions about their albums (in chronological order):

Theatre of Tragedy: Gothic Metal with female soprano-vocals and male growling. Pretty simple stuff and not very innovative by today's standards, but was rather groundbreaking back then. "...a Distance there is..." is a great song with only female vocals, piano, cello and some drums.

Velvet Darkness They Fear: The style on this album is similar to the previous one, but the songs are just much better - great majestetic gothic metal! If you like bands like Tristania, you should like this as well. Their best album. Try songs like "And when He Falleth" and "Black as the Devil Painteth"

A Rose for the Dead: A mini-CD with some leftover-songs and bad remixes. The title-track is very good, plus the Joy Division-cover "Decades" is nice.

Aegis: A more mellow album with "clean" vocals and a lot of nice melodies. A very good album in my opinion, but many metal-heads don't like it. "Cassandra", "Lorelei" and "Venus" are among the best songs.

Musique: Here comes the most drastic change - from gothic metal to electroniced gothic pop. A bad album in my opinion, but the band-members themselves claim that only now did they find their true style. "Crash/Concrete" is a good song, but sadly does not represent the whole album.

Assembly: Their forthcoming album is in the vein of Musique, but perhaps even more poppish. Try it, if you dare - I won't.

-Villain

Originally posted by Villain
Well, ToT is a band that has indeed changed a lot through the years, so it is pretty impossible to tell how their music is like, but I'll try to give you some of my opinions about their albums (in chronological order):

Theatre of Tragedy: Gothic Metal with female soprano-vocals and male growling. Pretty simple stuff and not very innovative by today's standards, but was rather groundbreaking back then. "...a Distance there is..." is a great song with only female vocals, piano, cello and some drums.

Velvet Darkness They Fear: The style on this album is similar to the previous one, but the songs are just much better - great majestetic gothic metal! If you like bands like Tristania, you should like this as well. Their best album. Try songs like "And when He Falleth" and "Black as the Devil Painteth"

A Rose for the Dead: A mini-CD with some leftover-songs and bad remixes. The title-track is very good, plus the Joy Division-cover "Decades" is nice.

Aegis: A more mellow album with "clean" vocals and a lot of nice melodies. A very good album in my opinion, but many metal-heads don't like it. "Cassandra", "Lorelei" and "Venus" are among the best songs.

Musique: Here comes the most drastic change - from gothic metal to electroniced gothic pop. A bad album in my opinion, but the band-members themselves claim that only now did they find their true style. "Crash/Concrete" is a good song, but sadly does not represent the whole album.

Assembly: Their forthcoming album is in the vein of Musique, but perhaps even more poppish. Try it, if you dare - I won't.

-Villain

thansk alot....exactly what i needed...i'm gonna d/l some songs rite away

Villian descriptions were great......I have always felt that Aegis (which I love) has a similar feel to it as Wildhoney, Deeper.....era Tiamat with more female vocals.

Try songs like "And when He Falleth" and "Black as the Devil Painteth"

What's with the -eth at the end of everything...? Another dodgey doom/goth metal gimmick...?

And then he saideth, thiseth, gets really hardeth to doeth after a whileth.

Jesuseth. :rolleyes: