HELVATION FESTIVAL, 12-13.11.2010, Helsinki w/Nightingale

Hi again.

I thought to spare some time to give pointers for those of who might attend abroad, I know already that some people from Sweden, Norway and Ireland are coming for sure. ...well and many from northern Finland that is actually more expensive than for example from Stockholm :D

First of all, don't be afraid to ask - I will try to answer if I only can. The flights etc. are most likely as easy to find for others as for me too. I will suggest to search flights to Helsinki-Vantaa airport. For example Ryanair has flights to Tampere airport but considering the train prices in Finland and time lost I would suggest to head to Helsinki unless the price difference is enormous.

Second: People coming from Stockholm/Sweden: There are different possibilities depending in which part of the country you are located. Sometimes flights can be in decent prices and those are of course faster. But ferrys are also a good option. Those of you who want to consider ferry rides I have a useful tip: Join Viking Line's Viking club:
http://www.vikingline.fi/vikingclubse/index.asp
By doing so you will get good amount of discount for travelling with or without a car. Joining the club is free.

About accommodation:
This is dependent on how many people there are. With only one person some hostels can be price-wise alternatives. But in those cases I would recommend to hook with some other foreigners coming so that you will form a bigger unit. Even with 2 or more people I can then give this recommodation: Use Omena Hotelli (apple hotel) and book 4 person room, price will be about 45-60 Euros/night:
http://www.omenahotels.com/en/
So relatively cheap for more than 1 person. Those are nice basic hotels with no actual staff. And most benefitial the locations are great unlike with hostels. The best choice for 3 of those in Helsinki considering the location of the venue is the one on Eerikinkatu, second best is the one on Lönnrotinkatu.

So, these should give some insight. Like said I will try to answer any questions you may have.

Its a f*** shame to be in the other part of the world! I'm in Mexico so its really Impossible for me to go to see Nightingale! But I hope you guys have a good time watching them and sing for me some good songs...

I hope Dag records the show and upload it to youtube so we can see it! :worship:

Losing me some exclusive songs of Nightingale and EoS dammmn!!

Greets from Mexico

Hope one day i'll see Nightingale Live!:headbang:

Since most of you guys here may not know the other bands except Seventh Wonder and Nightingale I thought to write a short preview of the line up in Helvation Festival. For Finnish people there are better ones in local forums, but those may not help foreigners :) Since we are extremely proud of the whole line up (not just the main acts) I think this is called for.

Friday is opened by Speedtap, a young band that has already gathered a good following in Finland and foreign ug-scene with their speed metal. If they will continue writing as good songs as so far they might have a bright future. They are followed by a long term Finnish speeders Solitaire, a band that is already famous in ug-scene both in Finland and central Europe. With 5 full lenght albums thay have established a strong cult following. Since they don´t play too many shows/year we would have liked to give them a longer playing time but that was not possible to keep the evening compact. After that is Malicious Death, the biggest ug-thrash metal band in Finland. They just released their 3th full length "...From Above". Uncompromising band that will most likely never achieve mainstream success but will always be loved by those who are into that kind of music.

Then comes the first Swedish band Enforcer that plays traditional heavy metal with NWOTBHM influences. Those guys are really starting to grow to the bigger league. Since their debut "Into the Night" they already toured a lot in clubs and festivals in Europe and also did a long US tour. But where as the debut was more into speedish stuff like Exciter and such the second album "Diamonds" really hit to the bullseye with more Iron Maiden based rocking, being a very solid and catchy album. After that they have toured a lot also playing some high profile festival gigs such as Sonisphere in UK. Evening will be closed by their country men Portrait that offers also 80s-style melodies, but I would say that the most notable thing in their music are Mercyful Fate-influences. All in all I would describe them as a darkened 80s style heavy metal. They have just signed a deal with Metal Blade so I am hoping that those guys will also get the big wheel running. One of my personal favourites in the genre and I am waiting to hear them first time with their new vocalist.

Saturday is opened by a Finnish Band called Battle Beast. They play quite traditional mainstream heavy metal - I am not into most female singers in heavy metal but their singer Nitte is an awesome piece! What a voice! I will strongly suggest to come and check them. Band was founded in 2008 and the progress has already been rapid. In 2010 they first supported Blaze Bayley in Finland mini-tour and later for example won the whole Wacken Metal Battle and other big band contest in Finland. You will most likely hear about this band later on. Then comes Merging Flare that I expect to be loved by SW and NG fans. The band will release it's first full length album later this year but they have already been around quite a while playing progressive heavy metal. Truely great musicians, One of the guitar players have for example played some shows in Gamma Ray. Well just check the both beforehand...I would imagine that the both will have something to offer.

Well then SW and Nightingale... I don´t think that much is needed to say about those. I trust you have done your homeworks! But I will say a hint about Seventh Wonder: Their 3th album "Mercy Falls" has been described as a new classic, a worthy opponent to "Operation: Mindcrime". For any fan of the Nightingale I would recommend: check that album! They will release their forth album later this year.

Ok, I admit that this was poorly writen and not too informative introduction. But the best that I could do at the moment. But hopefully some will find this worth reading :) And you can always check the music from myspace and do your own conclusions.

I am most likely shooting footage from every band, but the battery situation is a relevant problem :)

However, I do plan to film whole Nightingale gig if it is possible to enjoy when I am old and can not control my bladder. Lets just hope that the battery does not run out of power too soon :)

Publishing it even on youtube needs a permit from the band. I however do think that it is not a problem so most likely some selective parts will end up for you to watch. And it seems that Dag already promised an audio bootleg ;)

Enforcer has just cancelled their gig in Helvation Festival on Friday. We will announce the replacement later, sorry about this. Not our call.

So, we got the replacement for Enforcer...and even upgraded a bit! The newcomers is Grand Magus who returns to Finland after almost 2 years! They will also take the role as a new headliner on Friday. This drops Portrait on the second headliner but they will keep their set time.

And a bonus: no chance in ticket prices because of this!

We will let you know new schedule for Friday later on.

...and here you go:

FRIDAY:
GRAND MAGUS (Swe) 01.10
PORTRAIT (Swe) 23.40
MALICIOUS DEATH (Fin) 22.40
SOLITAIRE (Fin) 21.40
SPEEDTRAP (Fin) 20.50
Doors: 20.00

SATURDAY
NIGHTINGALE (Swe) 00.15
SEVENTH WONDER (Swe) 22.50
MERGING FLARE (Fin) 21.45
BATTLE BEAST (Fin) 20.45
Doors: 20.00

Ace.....I´m really excited about the trip to Finland, hope the airplane doesn´t crash though :Spin:.....long ago since headbanging :devil:. This is gonna rule!

hehe, this is going to be great. Helsinki week-end mixed with all the best off Finland and Swedish fine rock. Lapin Kulta, Sauna and Nightingale!

waiting for the departuref rom stockholm against helsinki. this weekend will rock like fuck. skål på er! ses imorgon NG :)