Here comes Opeth....

Yup, first time through I was completely underwhelmed. I kinda had to fight myself to even play it again. Then, as is the case with them, I started to notice things. Then....it just rolls from there and you start to think that Mikael knows something about music that you just plain don't, and whatever weird genius he's applying has the effect of making you think he's about 5 miles further down the road than you. You know? It's that kinda thing always with them. Trust me, when this baby opens up for you, or you open up to it (however you choose to phrase it) you are gonna remember just exactly why you believe Opeth is the greatest band working in metal today.

Listened to samples of all songs, and really can't say I like it...Don't like the Progrock-growling vocals combination. I don't even think it's very "heavy" music at all (hence the prog"ROCK" label I put on it), except for the vocals ...Okay, and it's a fact, I don't like growling vocals... I probably am getting too old for this stuff :err:
Now start bashing me !!

Going to see them next Wednesday in Manchester with my girlfriend.

But I read Martin Lopez isn't goignt o be there....the main fucking reason I was going.

carnut said:
Listened to samples of all songs, and really can't say I like it...Don't like the Progrock-growling vocals combination. I don't even think it's very "heavy" music at all (hence the prog"ROCK" label I put on it), except for the vocals ...Okay, and it's a fact, I don't like growling vocals... I probably am getting too old for this stuff :err:
Now start bashing me !!

Well the music is NOT really that heavy. It's not death metal, nor has it really ever been (except for the intro to "Masters Apprentice"). The vocals, however, are.
I usually despise death vocals but there have been a few bands who have, not only utilized them positively, but have actually added to the music through their use! (Opeth, My Dying Bride)

But I can easily see why some metal fans wouldn't dig Opeth (aside fromt the vocals). But that's what makes are so interesting. One man's gold is another's poison. And vice-versa.
For example, I find Dream Theater's music to be utterly devoid of emotion and to seem "forced" and 'fake'. But thousands of others disagree!

wdiv said:
No shit, huh?! What's the world coming to.... with a (slightly) death metal band making it to the Best Buy newspaper ad

The BestBuy by me actually played Windowpane on the BestBuy Radio around the time Damnation came out. THAT shocked the hell out of me

SoundMaster said:
Well the music is NOT really that heavy. It's not death metal, nor has it really ever been (except for the intro to "Masters Apprentice"). The vocals, however, are.
I usually despise death vocals but there have been a few bands who have, not only utilized them positively, but have actually added to the music through their use! (Opeth, My Dying Bride)

But I can easily see why some metal fans wouldn't dig Opeth (aside fromt the vocals). But that's what makes are so interesting. One man's gold is another's poison. And vice-versa.
For example, I find Dream Theater's music to be utterly devoid of emotion and to seem "forced" and 'fake'. But thousands of others disagree!

Opinion is opinion, true enough. To that end, I've never gotten the big deal about Dream Theater either. Just nothing there for me.

As to Opeth, it's just something that either clicks with you or not. I liked some death metal bands back in the day, but went on to develop a specific distaste for the singing as well. Opeth is just so dynamic that, somehow, it works. At first it was the thing that I tolerated about them, but in time (short time) I found myself thinking, "When is he gonna grooooowl again?" with anticipation. Just odd that.

As to the heavy question, it's those mentioned dynamics, and some mysterious X factor that, for me anyway, actually makes Opeth the heaviest band out there. Hard to explain that somehow. It's true that when they get that little trick out (heavy) in the middle of the song, they reeeeeally get it out, but there's something else going on there. It's like Deep Purple, kinda. Not a metal band, not at all really. But sooooo fucking heavy somehow. Hard to say it in words. But it's there.

ElectricWiz said:
As to the heavy question, it's those mentioned dynamics, and some mysterious X factor that, for me anyway, actually makes Opeth the heaviest band out there. Hard to explain that somehow. It's true that when they get that little trick out (heavy) in the middle of the song, they reeeeeally get it out, but there's something else going on there. It's like Deep Purple, kinda. Not a metal band, not at all really. But sooooo fucking heavy somehow. Hard to say it in words. But it's there.

Indeed. Purple is TRUE heaviness....but I've always labelled them as metal, anyway. "Burn", "Highway Star"...pure metal classics.

But, then again, I label Led Zep as metal, as well...and almost no one would agree with that!
They have that heavy 'spark' you refer to. Is "In My Time Of Dying" or "Since I've Been Loving You" not utterly, gut-wrenchingly HEAVY??!! Hell yeah!