here's an actual music related post

Am I wrong for posting this kind of thread?

• Dude, what the hell is a music post doing here?

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Your taste in music sucks.

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

Baliset

guitar deity
Jul 31, 2002
New England
www.maudlinofthewell.com
just for shits and giggle what were some great albums from 2002 you picked up?

Here's some of my favorites:

Threshold-Critical Mass- fucking amazing rock/metal from the UK. Nice melodies, killer guitar playing, drumming, and vocals, awesome production. My favorite new cd of this year.

Anthony Stewart Head and George Sarah-Music For Elevators- yeah i know i am a buffy fanboy but even though i bought it because anthony stewart head is an actor on the show i was surprised at how good the music was on the disc. Its electronica for the most part mixed with some ambient keyboards but it also is really well put together. it is very soothing and relaxing to listen to.

Novembers Doom-To Welcome the Fade- even though i technically didn't buy this album because of the nice perk of these guys being on our label, i still really dug this album from them, not to mention I saw them do a kick-ass set at the Worcester metal-fest in April. Sadly I don't remember if Eric was wearing his watch while he played.

Anyone else get any good discs this year?

some of my favs

Symphony X - The Odyssey
Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane
The Dillinger Escape Plan with Mike Patton - Irony is a Dead Scene
Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors
..And Oceans - Cypher
Soilwork - Natural Born Chaos

I thought the Threshold was a snooze....just like all their other albums.

Originally posted by azal
some of my favs

Symphony X - The Odyssey
Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane
The Dillinger Escape Plan with Mike Patton - Irony is a Dead Scene
Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors
..And Oceans - Cypher
Soilwork - Natural Born Chaos

I thought the Threshold was a snooze....just like all their other albums.

Well I've heard that their earlier albums are quite boring but after I saw them live this year I went nuts over them. They impressed the hell out of me and so far this is the only album I have by them. I like it alot because they are kind of lumped into being prog-metal but they don't display much of that on this disc. Sure there are some Genesis-like keyboard parts, and some Dream Theater-esque riffs, and multiple time changes throughout the course of songs but it doesn't seem show-offy and self-indulgent but just the natural progression of the song. We're not talking ground-breaking here but just amazing songs.

I haven't heard most of the albums on your list but I do have the PoS and the soilwork. I really try to love PoS every time I listen to them because I have high respect for them as musicians and that is still the case after seeing them live and having them again blow me away like Threshold. However, there are some bits of Remedy Lane I just can't get into. I really like alot of the stuff on it but for some reason the vocals can annoy me on certain parts but amaze on others.

As for the Soilwork I liked the album but I haven't listened in awhile, Great tones on it from the keyboardists, singer, and guitarist.

Brian Ferneyhough misc. compositions for Flute CD. Great Flute music from the main figure in the "New Complexity" movement of current modern classical music.

Charles Wuorinen - Lepton. Collection of pieces spanning Wuorinen's entire carreer so far on Tzadik. Absolutely essential, IMO. Demanding and virtuostic pieces for human performers and electronics. Brilliant senses of melody, rhythm and texture. A totally original composer who I just happened upon recently.

Flying Luttenbachers - Infection and Decline. The grossly oversimplified view of this album: the heavy and complex side of Magma with exceptionally fast and tight grind drumming.

Ruins - Tzomborgha. Ruins continually get tighter and more tech sounding so the fact that this one tops the last record in those respects is no surprise. This record on Ipecac has lots of "studio" sounding things on it like effected drums and multiple bass overdubs that are a departure from the band's usual stripped-down sound. Yoshida's yodeling vocals are surprisingly melodic on this one at times.

Z's demo CD-R. I've already sung their prases enough on here...

Orthrelm's slew of recordings. I love the basic Orthrelm sound and Mick's guitar playing gets a little faster and more abstruse with each release. The ensemble sound of the 2002 recordings is a good bit tighter than that of the 2001 stuff.

New Glenn Gould re-issues. No explanation needed.

ok, since i missed the indieworkshop list (eh, it was my own fault, jake gave me plenty of time), here's some of my faves:

Neko Case - Blacklisted
this woman not only executes the songs with amazing feeling and one of the most captivating voices ever, but SHE WRITES THEM TOO. Incredible music. Plus, Jon Rauhouse is awesome on steel guitar- i need to pick up his new cd Steel Guitar Air Show.

Isis - Oceanic
yeah, most of you know this one. I dig it.

Billy Joe Shaver - Freedom's Child
old country guy who wrote for Waylon and others- real good old-style country songs, with solid instrumentation (not amazing, but solid) and some good funny stuff- like "wild cow gravy".

matt pond pa - nature of maps
I finally listened to this like 3 months after jake had me d/l the mp3s, and I can't stop listening to it. great memorable melodies.

Norah Jones - good old jazz kind of standards, with a great voice and tasteful instrumentation.

that's all i can think of for now

Originally posted by Baliset
Sadly I don't remember if Eric was wearing his watch while he played.
Greg- haha!!! You can most assuredly bet on it.
Well, I don't remember for sure at that show, but it probably happened. When we played in Detroit this past Sept/Oct (after the patrons of this board had pointed the watch factor out), Paul & I pensively debated the watch situation and decided it was funnier to go ahead and wear it. I have to get my scanner working and then the pics will be uploaded.

recently enjoyed:

Agalloch - The Mantle

Green Carnation - Light of Day, Day of Darkness

Darkane - Expanding the Senses

Porcupine Tree - in absentia

Opeth - Deliverance

Low - Trust

These are the first to come to mind because I have recently bought them...

things i have been enjoying (not new this year):

Otis Redding

a lot of classical: Vivaldi, Bach, Mussorgsky, Tartini, Mozart, Dvorak..

Medeski, Martin and Wood

Smog

not all was released in 2002, but these were amazing cds i picked up in the past couple months:

dredg - el cielo & leitmotif
opeth - morningrise and blackwater park
anathema - eternity and judgement
porcupine tree - in absentia

actually, theyre all pretty old except el cielo and in absentia. but they were some of the best cds ive ever bought.

i just did a text search of this thread for the word 'nirvana' and ZIP ZERO ZILCH came up. therefore i can't bother reading it by default.