Here's some awesome lead playing and tone

Ravenous Enemy said:
etherforbreakfast... er, that playing on Taking back my Soul, Doomsday Machine is actually Gus G. Mike doesn't do anything like that (his foot was glued to a wah pedal on this album)!

erm, wasnt it chris amott? i thought chris recorded the album and gus g just filled in live.

Yes, it's Mike Amott. :)

EDIT: I just got into Spiritual Beggars and think it's very cool to hear Mike play more rock type stuff. That clip I posted just reminds me of him playing over a backing track, which you definetely would never get to hear in Carcass!

Yeah, i am a big fan of spiritual beggars, and their best work has to be "ad astra"...

At first, i was not too sure about it, since i hear Ammot was on it, and thought those riffs are a bit simple compared to what he does normally... but once you get the vibe, you just know it's not about his guitar playing only..
It's a combination of 70's stoner rock with heavy guitar work, monster riffs, a freakin nice hammond organ!, the voice on ad astra is very raw, just good, thick bass with some really organic drums... please check it out if you are into "stoner rock" or black sabbath, 70's rock... the mix on it is amazing as well!!

"On fire" was good as well, but a bit of a step back... it all just got a bit cleaner, less raw and aggressive... "demons" was a complete stepback, in my opinion.. way too calm and clean, and even less agressive then on fire and ad astra. they replaced their old singer on that album, and i can't say i am too happy about that at all... still, a damn good album though, but "ad astra" defenitely dwells in my top 10 favorite albums somewhere!

EtherForBreakfast said:
commandante - Point taken, and if he wanted to do stoner rock, he is more than capable of doing so.. BUT.. it just didnt fit and it made me almost second guess myself into thinking it was not amott....

in fact.. i bet Mike himself is probably not very fond of that particular time capsule of a recorded performance of himself..

whaaa?????? what are you on? Beggars is the best thing Mike has done since leaving Carcass.....and the reason why he left them. There is NOTHING wrong with the playing at all, and it just reeks of Mike's style.
The BEST guitars players are not always perfectly on time or tune but they play with emotion and conviction which is timeless.
Don't believe me? Ask Vai, Gilbert, Hammet, Satriani, Malmsteen etc who inspired them AND who they think are the best guitarists and you'll get the same answers all the time.....Hendrix, Page, Blackmore, Iommi etc.

Phew, I am glad someone shares my opinion.

Although I can definitely see where Ether is coming from.:) I remember telling Per Wiberg before this last SotU Opeth show that Spiritual Beggars is the shit and that he oughta convince M. Amott to do it full-time. :tickled:

Welllllll... Smack my ass, and call me Susan.

I remember first hearing that lead and thinking " right on, amott has been woodshedding ".

But now I know... and knowing is half the battle.

Black neon bob said:
Per is the man! do you have any idea what he actually plays on those albums? mellotron or a hammond?
I got him sign my Marlboro pack along with the other Opeth guys, Lopez loved that shit! :tickled:

I do think it is hammond, but I don't know much about keyboard... At least till Demons, it should be Hammond though (I couldn't give that one a proper listen yet, although I remember loving that guitarsound)

I just wish they got Kryttan back. :cry: