Searching for brutal honesty on this clip

neverpurify said:
Just got a new toy yesterday and tried some quick recording tonight. How does this sound. It's pretty rough, i.e., the playing is off and maybe a bit too much gain. Does it sound too scooped? :yuk:

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Members/000114634_000025737.mp3

Alrighty ask and you shall receive

What I like...
- Good riffage
- Nice power to the sound guitars sound big
- not fizzy or scheechy like some metal tones
- What is the new toy anyway??

What I dislike
- Low end is loose flabby and out of control around 300
- Did you C4 those guitar or use a matering comp??? The are over compressed
- The top end feels tinny around 3200
- Sounds out of phase but I did a mono check and it is OK, It seems the parts sound too much alike and there is allot of bleed/latency (or sloppines ha ha) on the right guitar track from overdubbing or...
Did you try layring like 4 guitars there?
- Is that computer monitor hum I hear? What ever it is it is present through the whole track

Anyway I got inspired and decided to start the first online Ultamite Metal Jam. So my playing is really sloppy here too but I could not resist. I only spent like 15 minutes on it.

The mix really suffers cause the guitars are already compressed to hell and back from the compress you did at mix (or master time) the mp3 compression and then decompression so bear with the mix it is rough and over compressed. Have fun with it. Sorry if this is stepping on your toes no hard feeling if you hate it.

I hate rapid share but I have no FTP and audiostreet would take like 3 days to clear.

Click link, scoll down hit free, scroll all the way down wait for the 45-60 sec the little timer says then right click and save the link. Then :headbang:

http://rapidshare.de/files-en/624974/Ult_Metal_Jam-01.mp3.html

Gee, thanks guys.
Burning.gif

No, I really appreciate the criticism. It helps me get better at this. I'm having a tough time learning how to get a good guitar sound laid down.

I'm sure the hum that you heard was from sitting too close to the computer monitor and/or amp. The flubbiness could have been cured using Andy's comp settings but I decided not to use it at the last minute. I guess it needed to be used after all! I did use a PSP VintageWarmer on the tracks which must have compressed it some. I layered 4 tracks, which led to more sloppiness. Maybe I should stick to 2 or 3. That's cool that you added drums to the track, I use to start those kind of metal jams all the time on the harmony central amp forum. A pretty good place to upload clips is www.digitalsoundplanet.com. I think you get about 10 mb free space.

Here is my recording chain for that clip:
Ibanez RG with stock pickups - Peavey Rock Master preamp - return of my Vox AD60VTX - MXL condensor mic - Audiophile 24/96 card - Cubase SX 2.0.

I just got the Rock Master so I am still experimenting with it. Maybe I should just stick with the AD60VTX. I appreciate the comments/suggestions.

neverpurify said:
Gee, thanks guys.
Burning.gif

No, I really appreciate the criticism. It helps me get better at this. I'm having a tough time learning how to get a good guitar sound laid down.

I'm sure the hum that you heard was from sitting too close to the computer monitor and/or amp. The flubbiness could have been cured using Andy's comp settings but I decided not to use it at the last minute. I guess it needed to be used after all! I did use a PSP VintageWarmer on the tracks which must have compressed it some. I layered 4 tracks, which led to more sloppiness. Maybe I should stick to 2 or 3. That's cool that you added drums to the track, I use to start those kind of metal jams all the time on the harmony central amp forum. A pretty good place to upload clips is www.digitalsoundplanet.com. I think you get about 10 mb free space.

Here is my recording chain for that clip:
Ibanez RG with stock pickups - Peavey Rock Master preamp - return of my Vox AD60VTX - MXL condensor mic - Audiophile 24/96 card - Cubase SX 2.0.

I just got the Rock Master so I am still experimenting with it. Maybe I should just stick with the AD60VTX. I appreciate the comments/suggestions.
So it was not a V-Amp 2 into a shit soundcard?

Rats! I missed!

Nitronium Blood said:
So it was not a V-Amp 2 into a shit soundcard?

Rats! I missed!
Audiophile 24/96 card is not a shit card, if you only need 2 inputs and dont mind having the ins and outs unbalance it is a great card for the cash!

Trust me, I wasn't trying to impress anyone with that clip. I know it sounded like ass. I was hoping it would be picked apart so that I could learn what to do and what not to do next time. I am trying to achieve that open sound that Andy got on his clip of the Krank amp. I understand that he used an $8,000 mic preamp. It has that great stereo sound to it.

neverpurify said:
Trust me, I wasn't trying to impress anyone with that clip. I know it sounded like ass. I was hoping it would be picked apart so that I could learn what to do and what not to do next time. I am trying to achieve that open sound that Andy got on his clip of the Krank amp. I understand that he used an $8,000 mic preamp. It has that great stereo sound to it.
Yeah man those Krank samples are solid. There is no way you will get any where close to that tone with your current rigg. My advice is 3 things

1) replace the stock pickups with EMGs I just did that to my RG (85 in the bridge baby!) and holy hell big diff search the EMG threads for sound samples of my RG with the EMGs.

2) Buy a POD XT, several reasons 1 it sounds a hell of allot better than that peavy you are using now 2 it is more flexible, 3 you can record the signal dry ready for re-amp (still hear your metal tone while you record!) then turn on the "re-amp" function select 4 good tones and you have 4 tracks in perfect sync no more sloppy phasing.

3) Keep tweaking the way you are you are headed the right direction and you have a good ear for what you want, your clips are not great but I can tell you I have heard much much worse (some I have recorded myself ha ha)

Thanks for the input. I have considered replacing the pickups. I have also considered the POD XT as I already have the POD 2.0 but I just keep thinking that I will be happier with a mic'ed cab. Hmmm...we'll see.

Evildonkeymaster is the Undisputed Heavy Weight Champoin of the PODxt. Believe it.

I guess this makes me his Don King. Or extremely gay. Not sure which.

Either way, that whole virtual re-amping deal he's talking about completely changed my opinion of direct recording guitars. I never really considered it that viable as "album quality" until very recently.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are plently of examples of good sounding direct guitars on albums, but even the good emulators always seemed lacking in some respect when I've tried to use them.

evildonkeymaster said:
2) Buy a POD XT, several reasons 1 it sounds a hell of allot better than that peavy you are using now 2 it is more flexible, 3 you can record the signal dry ready for re-amp (still hear your metal tone while you record!) then turn on the "re-amp" function select 4 good tones and you have 4 tracks in perfect sync no more sloppy phasing.
That is only for PODxt Pro right? I don't think my kidney bean PODxt has it...

evildonkeymaster said:
you can record the signal dry ready for re-amp (still hear your metal tone while you record!) then turn on the "re-amp" function select 4 good tones and you have 4 tracks in perfect sync no more sloppy phasing.)
if i'm following you correctly, that is wrong, sorry. if you want the sound of quad tracked guitar you MUST play it four times... the only thing you will get by playing once and re-amping to 4 different tones is the sound of blended tones on one performance. this ground has been covered already and Andy even spoke up on the subject. apologies in advance if i misunderstood you.

commandante said:
That is only for PODxt Pro right? I don't think my kidney bean PODxt has it...

No man kidney bean fully supports it you just have to upgrade it on the custom tone site to the latest firm ware.

Basically it records through the USB cable not the audio outs. What you do is go to your ASIO selction menu (in Cubase SX it is in the device setup menu) Switch your ASIO driver to ASIO PODXT. Then hit control panel (at least this is what you do in Cubase SX) it opens the controls for the POD XT USB driver.

You then select the freq and sample rates to match your project (on 12bit/24bit and 44.1/48 are options). Then you select what you want to do. Send processed guitar, Send Dry Signal, Send - Dry Signal and Reamp playback or Re-Amp play back.

I select send dry signal. What is cool is you still hear your processed sound while recording even though it is recording the dry signal only.

Important note you have to have your POD XT audio outs plugged in becuase Cubase will play the drums and all through those out since you are useing the PODXT ASIO.

Once you are done tracking you changed the PODXT ASIO control panel to Re-Amp playback. VERY VERY IMPORTANT mute all traqcks but the dry guitar or you will end up hearing the drums through the Processed Amp Patch!!! Loud and nasty!. So unfortuanly you can not test the POD XT re-amp tones against the drums and such in real time.

You then play the song trouch in real time recording the reamped guitar onto another track. Then re record the guitar part dry tweak the POD XT patch and repeat as many times as you want. Once you are done switch back to your regular ASIO driver and mix away!

James Murphy said:
if i'm following you correctly, that is wrong, sorry. if you want the sound of quad tracked guitar you MUST play it four times... the only thing you will get by playing once and re-amping to 4 different tones is the sound of blended tones on one performance. this ground has been covered already and Andy even spoke up on the subject. apologies in advance if i misunderstood you.

No you are right I am nuts and my post sounded confusing. Depending on the effect you want you can "blend several tones by reamping". I was suggesting it dry 4 times and pick out 4 tones (cab switches or mic switches mabey a tweak to the head settings etc.) then re-amp to get the Big Sneap 4 guitar sound. But you have got to be a tight player to pull of the 4 guitar thing.

the "4 guitar thing" is actually no harder than accurately double tracking a guitar.. .it just takes longer. if you can double track with accuracy, then you can quadruple track with equal accuracy. anyone who can double track fine and can't quadruple track is just psyching themselves out on it. i have been re-amping for many years, i bought my first John Cunibertti Re-amp from the man himself. these days i'm using a Radial JD7 Injector with which i can play out to as many as 7 amps with no signal degredation. but just because i can play out to many amps and blend their tones doesn't mean i don't still quadruple track. note: i've never actually used all the ouputs on the JD7.
JD7-34view-526w.jpg

James Murphy said:
the "4 guitar thing" is actually no harder than accurately double tracking a guitar.. .it just takes longer. if you can double track with accuracy, then you can quadruple track with equal accuracy. anyone who can double track fine and can't quadruple track is just psyching themselves out on it. i have been re-amping for many years, i bought my first John Cunibertti Re-amp from the man himself. these days i'm using a Radial JD7 Injector with which i can play out to as many as 7 amps with no signal degredation. but just because i can play out to many amps and blend their tones doesn't mean i don't still quadruple track. note: i've never actually used all the ouputs on the JD7.
JD7-34view-526w.jpg
WOW! 2 things
1) I wish I had the cash to drop on that box

2) I wish I had enough amps to use all 7 re-amp sends!

James you are a lucky man