Heretic - Desolate Creation, no samples

ElektricEyez

Aug 29, 2007
Follow the link below to tell me what you guys think, I am open to compliments and criticisms as well, provided it is constructive criticisms or advice to improve mixes in the future. Here, you can check out all my mixes, but the latest and greatest is called Heretic, by a song called "Desolate Creation".

Rock on!

Here is the link.... (my studio)
http://www.myspace.com/narrowgatestudios3

Or the band's website...
http://www.myspace.com/desolatecreation

The snare sounds tiny. I would insist on using samples for that.

The toms sound good, but lack some presence. Maybe you could add a little bit of attack.

The snare sounds tiny.

+1

Try messing with EQ and reverb to make it sound bigger and if it does not do the trick use samples (blend with the original sound or use it on its own).

Guitars are decent but sound kinda lifeless and sterile... as if they had been recorded with some cheap solid state amps with bad settings.

Kick drum is a tad too "big" compared to the rest of the instruments.

Yeah, as far as the kick being a little too loud in the mix, that is what the drummer wanted, otherwise I would have pulled the fader down a bit.

Guitars - they were recorded with 2 mics, as explained in the "that clayman sound" thread, SM57 and Audix i-5, with a rocktron going into a Randall head, left side Eminence, right side V-30. To be perfectly honest, I wasn't super thrilled with that tone, I should have made him go through my Triple Recto, but he really liked his tone. After I listened to this mix and then Fear Factory, Archetype, I noticed some similarities in the guitar tone. I do like how the guitar doesn't saturate everything in the mix, and it has a clean sound.

Not sure what your talking about with the snare, I was pretty pleased with it. Audix i-5 on top, SM57 on bottom, with a room mic - IR reverb on the room mic. Toms and Overheads were bussed, with a multi - compressor.

Speaking of the toms, they sounded incredible when we laid down the drums, Evans EQII heads, Sennheiser e604's mics, which I just got the chance to try out. I was very pleased, but once the guitar and vocals came in, it's like the toms weren't sticking out anymore like I wanted them to. I put a gate on them and then EQ'ed them to try to bring them back out in the mix. They work, but I will say that I am not 100% happy with how they didn't cut through the mix like I had wanted them to. I even tried cutting a notch in the guitars, where I thought the attack would be on the toms. I duno maybe someone has some advice or tips they could share with me? Perhaps I should have compressed them before I sent them to the bus track? I'm still learning here.