Revolted Masses: Free Multitracks with real drums for you (+free CDs!)

So, we were thinking when to end this small "competition" (it's more of a reward thing, so I avoid using the word competition!).
How many of you are thinking of mixing the song, but haven't found the time yet?

We thought another 7-10 days or so would be cool! Friday, January 3, 2014 is the closing date!

By the way, here is our brand new upload, a song about Greek crisis:

Cheers!:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Spede, hi!
Remember you due to MixOff forum, there are some great mixes from you. ;) Kinda rockish sounding here, did you use some samples on the drums?

Hello Nikolas!

I had a sloshy ambience sample which I reverberated heavily (all the snare decay comes from that). Think about that Wallace guy ;) Also towards the end of mixing I decided to put a high pitched black beauty rimshot just underneath the original snare to get just a little bit extra oomph. The kick is original (albeit heavily compressed/EQ'ed).

Glad you exchange opinions on the mixes, that's the spirit so that we can all improve! Some of you have supported us via our bandcamp page, so thank you for that.
OK, third round of some brief opinion on the mixes.

Nikolas Quemtri:
Thank you for your kind words man. Nice mix man. Love the fact that the bass sounds balsy in various places of the song, as if you distort and automate it to accent the aggresive parts even more. Love kick and snare too. Keep it up, cheers!

spencerlogan:
Thank you too, glad you liked it. Your mix was indeed really really good, loved the automation effect after the melodic intro. I believe the OHs are a bit on the bright side, especially when the hat kicks in, other than that liked what you did with the track.

AEB31415:
I think it is a fair effort, man, it is far from "horrible", as you mention. Maybe the kick is a bit plastic for my taste, but other than that, keep it up man!

miitch:
New version sounds even more improved. Among others, the squashing went away. Cheers!

kernelxsanders:
Cool effort man, you replaced kick/snare, didn't you? I know it is almost a must for that type of sound. Interesting panning on some parts (eg the gang part). I would maybe try to blend some more room in it, or maybe reduce the early reflections on the snare reverb. Other than that, nice effort. Cheers! :)

Nikolas Quemtri:
Thank you for your kind words man. Nice mix man. Love the fact that the bass sounds balsy in various places of the song, as if you distort and automate it to accent the aggresive parts even more. Love kick and snare too. Keep it up, cheers!

BrianGrieco:
Nice effort man, thank you for your time and nice words. Snare sounds a bit more ringy for my taste. Would maybe try to liven up the guitars a bit more, fair effort nevertheless, keep it up!

WoodenCube:
Interesting approach dude, especially the way you chose to seperate the vocals, bringing the backing vox forward. Maybe i would try to beef up the snare a bit. Nice try overall though!

manuke:
Glad you found the multitracks useful. Being away from the genre is not always a bad thing, makes you see things from a more objective view. I feel there is audible clipping in the guitars, but I might be wrong, and percieve the saturation as clipping. Interesting way you seperated the vox on some parts. Cheers, and keep it up! :)

Marcolobo:
I think it is a really fair result with a stick-to-the original approach and some creative moments during the song. Loved the "HAAHH" delay throw man! Outro sounds like the turntable is broken! Cheers!

eliagoth:
A YouTube upload, nice! Nice mix man, you blended everything in a musical way, except maybe from the kick which might be a bit loud especially in the double bass parts! Keep it up man!

Jacek23MS:
Nice effort man, i think there is audible clipping due to release of the limiter, but i am not 100% sure. Interesting approach to bring the backing vocals more forward. Generally it sounds balanced, cheers!

Kenny Lee:
I think we talked via FB, cheers man! :)

Wow that took some time! For anyone interested we will let this thread open for 4-5 days, so you still have time to participate. Cheers!

something in the mix must be messing with your guitars, particularly with the right side.
there´s serious top-end noise in both uploads. you really can´t hear that?

Vaggelis_Revolted said:
Among others, the squashing went away
this time i upped the .wav file to soundcloud :)

cheers

mhhh i´ve orientated the snare sound on the original snare of the drummer.. it was a very high tuned thin one...

any other critics?

If you say the original mix is a 9 / 10... how many points would you give my version of it?

Thanks to you folks, was great to mix!
In retrospect I maybe shoulda kept the guitars more aggressive for the fast bits and leave the lo-mids in them for the slow heavy parts. And I know what you mean about the snare, but since I never use samples and always go with the original drum sounds it was kinda what the actual snare sound in the recording was like.

@darkness of erebos:
Error (403) - can´t find the file :(

@SkylarWanke:
where´d the midrange go? :D
there´s some tracks that are not where they´re supposed to be (the solo guitar starts far too early, and toms sound like they´re a bit off as well). that needs a fix :)

Badass song! Very cool! I view those post a little late I think, thank you very much! It's a real pleasure to mix this song!