Heretic is a very... interesting... cd

Personally I'd like to see the following combination:
David Vincent - Vocals and bass
Trey - Guitars
Pete - Drums
All this produced by Neil Kernon. He has done a wonderfull job with Cannibal Corpse and has the ability to propel MA to the top of the death metal league imo.
Surely MA can afford Neil Kernon? What do you guys think?

This album blew me away from day one. The filler doesn't bother me much, because I originally got the promo copy, and that consisted of the 14 album tracks spread out over 99 TRACKS. Each song was broken into 5 or 6 40 second pieces with an annoying pause between each (presumably to prevent pirating). So compared to that, the format on the regular release is tolerable. IMO, this is the best MA album in years, and overall one of their best ever.

its pretty bad, though i like parts of some songs. but theyre really like weak domination/covenant outtakes. way too digestable with almost no innovation, except for maybe a "couple" of new melodic directions for trey's playing. the amazing innovation that was FFttF is gone I guess. i was really disappointed, and yes, Ive listened to it many times. Theres no denying that the songs have some groove, but i dont listen to music (especially not MA) so i can PRETEND to dance to it in my head, or nod my head or tap my desk. Apparently trey does though, judging from his thanks list in the album

Another disappointment. I just hope The Chasm's new one is good, and the new Gorguts sometime next year. MA just wants to have fun now, whatever.

Ageless said:
totally agree.

I think the track listing should have been:

1. Cleansed In Pestilence (Blade of Elohim)
2. Enshrined By Grace
3. Beneath The Hollow
4. Curse The Flesh
5. Praise The Strength
6. Stricken Arise
7. Abyssous
8. God Of Our Own Divinity
9. Within Thy Enemy

Well thats how i have it recorded onto Mini Disc.

All the rest should have been left out ("Place Of Many Death", "Victorious March Of Reign The Conqueror") or moved onto Bonus Levels ("Drum Check", "Born Again").

I am in agreement with this as well. "Drum Check" really belongs more on the 2nd CD as well as the other instrumentals. Disc one should have just been the 9 songs.

The album overall is decent, better than the last one. But, I feel like there should be more than there actually is. Some of the riffs end to quickly before they really get off the ground.

I can kind of understand why the band have decided to have the instrumental stuff for the most part at the end. Let the album play through and tack on the other stuff so that continuity isn't damaged too much.

Still, I think the jokey nature of 'Drum Check' takes away from the atmosphere of the album and makes it more of a light entertainment piece than a death metal record.

The production is actually my favourite thing about Heretic...its so.....juicy!!! Heretic is the only MA album i've found interesting since Blessed are the Sick, and it was my like of Heretic thats made me go all the way through the back catalogue paying more attention to everything, and i'm starting to like MA more nowadays....though I still think they're pretty overrated.

But um, yeah, Heretic ends...really....weird. And yes, it is frustrating. I'm all for the atmospheric stuff, i think its awesome, but Victorious March... is admittedly terribly cheesy and offputting.

Heretic's production is alright. I really hated how the drums sounded on Gateways. You know what would kick ass? A MA album like BATS engineered and mixed by Scott Burns.

Well, when I first got this album, I didn't like it very much. Now that I've had some time to listen to it, it's REALLY starting to grow on me. If you listen to the album on a good stereo, you can really hear a lot of the cool things that Trey is doing. What I really like is how he's usually playing two different guitar riffs at the same time, and he's also doing some cool pattern riffing, rather than just playing really fast. Pete's doing what he does best, so there's no complaint there. I was really amazed with Steve's performance, however, especially the range he's showing on here. Double tracking the vocals was definately a good idea! His attack on "Stricken Arise" is a welcome change as well.
Now, I have two problems with "Heretic." One is the guitar tone, which is quite thin compared to the other albums, and it just doesn't seem as dark. The other is, of course, the overall layout of the album. There are too many instrumentals! They could have left "Born Again," and "Drum Check" to the bonus disc, and put the rest of the instrumentals between songs, so you don't go way off path while listening to the album. The other instrumentals are good, and MA really did a great job on Blessed, where they had 4 instrumental tracks among 13.
Has anyone ever heard Pestilence's "Testimony of the Ancients?" That album was half instrumentals, but they did it really well, using the instrumentals as little breaks between the songs. If MA plans to do this next time, they should follow Pestilence's idea.

Yo! I generally agree to all the accusations that it's stupid to add some odd tracks after 30 tracks of silence. However there may be some point in such a move.

First, it pisses mp3 fans off. :loco: When you get 44 tracks, that's really boring to have so many of them in the file.

Secondly, the band must have had a vision to do such a thing. It'd be good to ask the members if it was their vision to do it this way.

I am also very disappointed with the production. I bought the limited edition through the Earache webstore and it arrived over the weekend, which was great. So I thrust the CD into my portable CD/MP3 player and at first I got really pissed off as it sounded so flat. I listened to all other MA CD's on the portable and they were so powerful. Well, and the new one just went flat track after flat. I thought I had a misproduced one or something but I guess everyone's version is just the same. I really don't know what's happening with the production these days as there are a lot of other CD's which seem to be basically screwed up production wise (f.e. "Vapor Trails" by Rush). Let's just hope the next one will be better.

Cheers.

There are some really good songs on Heretic, but those same songs are amazing when you hear them live. Especially Enshrined By Grace, for me anyway.

Ageless said:
I remember reading a review somewhere that the reviwer thought the song 'Enshrined By Grace' had a Nu-Metal influence to it o_O
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Nu-metal? What the hell do they expect? What a crock of crap! Did they want to scare us away from MA and make use think that Trey would be wearing baggy jeans, and Steve would have spikey hair and strange piercings? Maybe that they'd start making songs about how Mommy never paid them enough attention, or ripped up their Star Wars poster?
Oh, but this is definatly not "nu-metal," "rap-metal," or any of that chugga-chugga-whine-whine nonsense! I read an article on Blabbermouth that rap metal is on the decline.
Good god, I'll take the silent tracks from Heretic over Damp Triscuit or Korn-hole any day.

I saw MA this past Monday in NY and was blown away. The new tracks really shine live.

Am a fan from the Altar days but to be honest have not bought a CD of theirs since Blessed ... but these new tracks (i downloaded 3 different ones) have blown me away and have grown on me a lot. GOING OUT TO BUY THE DISC!!!

Like someone said this disc has a lot of things going on and will be a future classic. Mark my words ...

Pete and Trey truely shine on this .. Pete especially, He makes Beneath the Hollow for example ...

I rarely ever post here, but this cd piqued my curiosity, so i had to come here to see what everyone had to say!

Its definitely an interesting cd. I am in total agreement with everyone else on how weird all the blank tracks and hidden tracks are. Makes me wonder if they did it on purpose to 'stir shit up' on the internet.

Ive been trying to figure out this Bonus Levels cd. Its definitely weird!
Track1 Is an instrumental version of Beneath the Hollow. It is identical to Doomcreeper, except for the fact that Doomcreeper has a couple seconds of silence before it.
Track2 is an instrumental version of Curse the Flesh
Track3 is an instrumental version of Within thy Enemy
Track4 is an instrumental version of God of Our Own Divinity
and the rest are all lava, as SunlapseVertigo pointed out. I havent figured out what is what yet.

I dont really understand why all this extra crap was thrown in without warning, but since the second disc is free, and the first 4 tracks are cool, im happy.

this threads show the stupidity of average metalheads!:Smug:

morbid angel have to play like this....with that sound...no filler....blah..blah....blah...

shut up and listen to this good album....all sounds is music!

:yow:
dimensionidol said:
this threads show the stupidity of average metalheads!:Smug:

morbid angel have to play like this....with that sound...no filler....blah..blah....blah...

shut up and listen to this good album....all sounds is music!