Hey Chris.

Xtremevillan

New Metal Member
Aug 24, 2007
I think you answered an email of mine, basically I was trying to get the same kickass setup as you had. I just wanted to know a few more things / had a request or two.

1) I recently bought a pair of DR 10 Hi Beams (guess who inspired me, haha). Do they make 7 string versions of that? Or do you get a custom gauge, I read here that you get 10-70?

2) Your 1527 is customized, is it not, you got one of the knobs removed and there is only volume. I usually turn down the tone on my Hellraiser to accomodate a Jazz feeling and switch to the front Humbucker( I will be buying an ENGL Powerball [who could be a reason why?] and I wanted to know if it has a real good Jazzish setting). Besides the pickups, anything else?

3) I'm really liking the guitar you have now. Any official (as in, a hi-res picture of it on white background or whatever) pictures of it? I love reverse headstocks on Ibanez, I saved up to get the cheapest reverse stockhead with a trem Ibanez I could find (RG5EX1)

4) I saw you use nylon strings on your classical/acoustic (is there a difference?) guitar. I was wondeirng if I could buy a semihollow (Ibanez Artcore) guitar and put nylon strings on them. If so, would a normal Jazz III pick destroy the strings?

5) I've only been playing for a year but I feel I am somewhat advanced in some categories and extremely behind in some--I am self taught and have taken music theory classes on my own (jazzguitar.be and cyberfret) but reading music is above and beyond me. how can you differenciate between 5th fret A string and an open D? what happens if you play an open D and it turns out you were supposed to play the 5th fret A because the next note is the 4th fret on the E string? I'm really bad at upstroking chords and moving power chords, yet, I can play Goodbye Pork Pie Hat (powertab) without making a single mistake. Also, I suck horribly at playing with a metronome, at music theory I'm stuck on modes (I know how to make them, what they are, but how to use them and why I have no idea) and I just forgot a lot since then. I have no clue where I'm going with this paragraph so I'll just list the projects I've been working on.

Code:
    Necrophagist - Fermented Offal Discharge [Solos]   ✓
       Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata III (Presto Agitato) [Slower BPM]
  Charles Mingus - Goodbye Pork Pie Hat   ✓
    Necrophagist - Epitaph [Beginning Rhythm & part of solo]
           Death - Crystal Mountain [Rhythm / Chorus / Acoustic Solos]   ✓
    Necrophagist - Only Ash Remains [Solos]
Django Reinhardt - Minor Swing
    Dave Brubeck - Take Five [DGDGBe tuning]
          Mozart - Ronda Alla Turka [Opening]
           Death - Symbolic [Solos, some Rhythm]

(Check marks mean that I successfully can play all of it) (guess where I got Rondo Alla Turka from haha)

Do you have any song suggestions that might help me with any of the problems I listed?

Thanks for answering questions and I really hate to bother ya haha.

PS, guess what my first (and possibly only) 7 string guitar will be. You're a really major influence of mine and I hope to one day honor you!

I think you answered an email of mine, basically I was trying to get the same kickass setup as you had. I just wanted to know a few more things / had a request or two.

1) I recently bought a pair of DR 10 Hi Beams (guess who inspired me, haha). Do they make 7 string versions of that? Or do you get a custom gauge, I read here that you get 10-70?

2) Your 1527 is customized, is it not, you got one of the knobs removed and there is only volume. I usually turn down the tone on my Hellraiser to accomodate a Jazz feeling and switch to the front Humbucker( I will be buying an ENGL Powerball [who could be a reason why?] and I wanted to know if it has a real good Jazzish setting). Besides the pickups, anything else?

3) I'm really liking the guitar you have now. Any official (as in, a hi-res picture of it on white background or whatever) pictures of it? I love reverse headstocks on Ibanez, I saved up to get the cheapest reverse stockhead with a trem Ibanez I could find (RG5EX1)

4) I saw you use nylon strings on your classical/acoustic (is there a difference?) guitar. I was wondeirng if I could buy a semihollow (Ibanez Artcore) guitar and put nylon strings on them. If so, would a normal Jazz III pick destroy the strings?

5) I've only been playing for a year but I feel I am somewhat advanced in some categories and extremely behind in some--I am self taught and have taken music theory classes on my own (jazzguitar.be and cyberfret) but reading music is above and beyond me. how can you differenciate between 5th fret A string and an open D? what happens if you play an open D and it turns out you were supposed to play the 5th fret A because the next note is the 4th fret on the E string? I'm really bad at upstroking chords and moving power chords, yet, I can play Goodbye Pork Pie Hat (powertab) without making a single mistake. Also, I suck horribly at playing with a metronome, at music theory I'm stuck on modes (I know how to make them, what they are, but how to use them and why I have no idea) and I just forgot a lot since then. I have no clue where I'm going with this paragraph so I'll just list the projects I've been working on.

Code:
    Necrophagist - Fermented Offal Discharge [Solos]   ✓
       Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata III (Presto Agitato) [Slower BPM]
  Charles Mingus - Goodbye Pork Pie Hat   ✓
    Necrophagist - Epitaph [Beginning Rhythm & part of solo]
           Death - Crystal Mountain [Rhythm / Chorus / Acoustic Solos]   ✓
    Necrophagist - Only Ash Remains [Solos]
Django Reinhardt - Minor Swing
    Dave Brubeck - Take Five [DGDGBe tuning]
          Mozart - Ronda Alla Turka [Opening]
           Death - Symbolic [Solos, some Rhythm]

(Check marks mean that I successfully can play all of it) (guess where I got Rondo Alla Turka from haha)

Do you have any song suggestions that might help me with any of the problems I listed?

Thanks for answering questions and I really hate to bother ya haha.

PS, guess what my first (and possibly only) 7 string guitar will be. You're a really major influence of mine and I hope to one day honor you!

Your Killing me Xtremevillan;6451486 AHAHAHAHHA!!!!!

1 I have been using the Earnie Ball 10-52's and a 70 for the 7th (DR doesn't make a set like this and the Earnies feel very similar).

2. yes I never use the tone so I removed it and moved the volume because it gets in the way. The PB will get you a decent Jazz clean(along with all the other killer tones), but If money were no object I would recommend the SE because it has more tonal options that can me switched in and out. Also I just got back from the ENGL shop in Germany and it would be worth it to look at the Invader 100 that just came out (very good cleans along with everything else).

3. not yet but soon (I better take them before I beat that guitar to death).

4. yes there is a big difference between accoustic and classical guitars (classical guitars are much more delicate).

5. to much to answer AHAHAHHA just let me say you are on the right track. As far as note choice on a string it's up to you but what I do is look at the range of what I am playing and determine what strings those notes would be best played.

Chris.

Holy sheet, you replied! :) :)

I looked around and I did find a DR 7 string set, I'll get a pack of those and D'Addarios. I'm glad I got your guitar setup correct. I'll look into the Invader and the SE, money IS a problem but saving it is not. Once I get the 1527 then the amp money can come in...or should I get the amp first, the 1527'll be there for a long time, I bet.

I hope you weren't laughing at me, that's not nice! :)

And yeah, it seems like it'd be good to start practicing sight reading again instead of tabs.

How did you learn / practice fingerpicking and using your right hand to tap out arpeggios and stuff?

Holy sheet, you replied! :) :)

I looked around and I did find a DR 7 string set, I'll get a pack of those and D'Addarios. I'm glad I got your guitar setup correct. I'll look into the Invader and the SE, money IS a problem but saving it is not. Once I get the 1527 then the amp money can come in...or should I get the amp first, the 1527'll be there for a long time, I bet.

I hope you weren't laughing at me, that's not nice! :)

And yeah, it seems like it'd be good to start practicing sight reading again instead of tabs.

How did you learn / practice fingerpicking and using your right hand to tap out arpeggios and stuff?
I never laugh at someone who asks questions, but I might not always respond. As far as finger picking that was achieved through studying classical guitar at a collage level.

Take care, Chris.

OT, but, what exactly is on the monitor on this video?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xohcxxt6oHo

I've seen people say it's Counterstrike, others say its the wallpaper, and others claim its a game of Warcraft. So what exactly is it?

I think I know....Chris is it this?

chris_wake_boarding.jpg

Follow up on the amp.

Code:
but If money were no object I would recommend the SE because it has more tonal options that can me switched in and out. Also I just got back from the ENGL shop in Germany and it would be worth it to look at the Invader 100 that just came out (very good cleans along with everything else).

If you had to pick between the Powerball, the SE, or the Invader 100, which would you choose?

Follow up on the amp.

Code:
but If money were no object I would recommend the SE because it has more tonal options that can me switched in and out. Also I just got back from the ENGL shop in Germany and it would be worth it to look at the Invader 100 that just came out (very good cleans along with everything else).

If you had to pick between the Powerball, the SE, or the Invader 100, which would you choose?
probably the SE but I wan't to check out the invader 100 a little more.

Chris.