Hey guys, how do you tackle Latency?

Altitudes

Stay Frosty
Jun 18, 2007
California
I guess 1 gig of ram just isn't cutting it :lol:

I've been trying to adjust the buffer rate in Reaper to where it cuts the latency down while the signal isn't "choppy". This is about 90 to 92 ms. I am also using the KeFIR vst plug-in, which helps very little (but hey, if it is a noticeable difference, it's a difference).

Is increasing ram memory the only way to fix this problem? I would also imagine many of you simply record thru headphones, avoiding this problem all together. Any other advise would be helpful! :)

alot of the time latency comes from the soundcard itself.
i was running 1gb of ram awhile ago and had no latency issues whatsoever.
youll need to be more specific in what you are running hardware wise.
what soundcard/audio interface do you have?
are you running asio drivers??
try downloading asio4all.

alot of the time latency comes from the soundcard itself.
i was running 1gb of ram awhile ago and had no latency issues whatsoever.
youll need to be more specific in what you are running hardware wise.
what soundcard/audio interface do you have?
are you running asio drivers??
try downloading asio4all.

I am using the GuitarPort as the soundcard. Audio System: WaveOut. I just installed asio4all, but am not sure how to configure that driver to work with the input device (GuitarPort) :confused:

Buffer underflow is due to CPU power, not RAM.

90ms is very high. Are you running your audio interface manufacturer's specific ASIO drivers?

I thought buffer underflow was due to not enough ram, I'm a dolt :lol:

Again, I'm not sure how to set asio4all as the driver. I don't believe I am using any ASIO driver...

Okay, that would be your main issue here. What audio interface/soundcard do you have? If it's a relatively recent/semi-decent one, the manufacturer should have included its own drivers with it. ASIO4ALL is a 3rd party driver that should be used as a last resort only.

I don't know what soundcard my computer has. I checked the computer's system details and googled the computer model's specs, but no avail. I can access the driver details of devices though. I am still hazey on the ASIO and WaveOut driver thing.

EDIT: The thing is I want to use the GuitarPort and not plug straight into the computer's soundcard. Can I plug in to the soundcard and still run Gearbox?

I use my toneport as my soundcard and get no latency whatsoever.
Its just connected through USB and have made it my default soundcard for all sound settings.
In your DAW settings make sure that the audio device is set to the Toneport and not something else like Multimedia Driver.

I use my toneport as my soundcard and get no latency whatsoever.
Its just connected through USB and have made it my default soundcard for all sound settings.
In your DAW settings make sure that the audio device is set to the Toneport and not something else like Multimedia Driver.

yes, directly to your computers usb (not soundcads) zero latency, in any case do you have usb 2.0 (check above usb hole) if you have version 1 or so... then it could make some latency or so

This is what I do, haha.

Why is it when I configure the driver setup to look like this...

2ppgco5.jpg

I get no sound :confused:

EDIT: It is receiving a sound signal now according to the recording monitoring bar. NOW... it must be a really small and stupid mistake on my part for not hearing the sound out of my speakers :err:

I suspect that you're not connecting your speakers to the tone port, isn't it?

You have to connect them in the output with the headphones picture to get sound from it.

Greets

I suspect that you're not connecting your speakers to the tone port, isn't it?

You have to connect them in the output with the headphones picture to get sound from it.

Greets

Brilliant first post!
beerbang.gif

Now, how do I get it to work with Boogex using impulses? Right now I am hearing the raw tone from the toneport only.

Thanks so far everyone!

Brilliant first post!
beerbang.gif

Now, how do I get it to work with Boogex using impulses? Right now I am hearing the raw tone from the toneport only.

Thanks so far everyone!
just a side not, but open up gearbox & click the bypass button at the top right...it's next to the Tuner button, sometimes gearbox stays on & your sound gets processed through it

to use boogex you're gonna have to do that in Reaper, or with an effects chainer...i don't know if you have the gearbox VST, but i've heard they don't work in Reaper without a chainer. you might wanna get another amp sim anyway, WagnerII

What is this Gearbox VST you speak of? :lol: Looks like it is not free, so I try to torrent it. I also have Revalver III...

The Gearbox VST is installed when you installed the audio drivers for the Guitarport.

Unfortunately Line 6 is silly and installs them to its own special folder. I think the default is something like:

C:\Program Files\Line6\VST Plugins\Line 6

So you need to take the files in that folder and shift them to wherever the VST plugins directory in the Reaper Preferences is set.

Then rescan the directory.

Having said all that if you've got Revalver that's usually a hell of a lot better than Gearbox for tone anyway so you might not want to bother.

Öwen;7883872 said:
The Gearbox VST is installed when you installed the audio drivers for the Guitarport.

Unfortunately Line 6 is silly and installs them to its own special folder. I think the default is something like:

C:program FilesLine6VST PluginsLine 6

So you need to take the files in that folder and shift them to wherever the VST plugins directory in the Reaper Preferences is set.

Then rescan the directory.

Having said all that if you've got Revalver that's usually a hell of a lot better than Gearbox for tone anyway so you might not want to bother.

It says it needs to be activated in order to use the plug-in, costing money. Same with the ReValver (the trial version is only a stand-alone).

Sorry guys, but it looks like you have to spell it out to me :lol: Could someone take a screen shot of their audio device settings in Reaper?