Hey, Haupy!

'Dance of December Souls' is the main reason why Katatonia has been featured on this page. The harsh, mournful sound found on this album definately make it a classic.

Just as on 'Ihva Elohim Meth' J. Renkse uses his sick sounding screams. The monotone or numb sound Katatonia is known for is present on this album, but all in all it is more a dark and sickening sound that defines this album. When J. Renkse screams "let me die" in desperation you really feel his pain and anger. When the entire album is finished you can not help but think about the pain that these poor souls must be in.

Most people also remember this album for perhaps their best known song from their old records: 'Without God'. However as I've stated in my review of 'Ihva Elohim Meth' I enjoy the version found on this album less. This mainly because of adding such words as "fuck" to a lyric like "die without your fucking god".

They seem to like early Katatonia. :headbang:

i like Katatonia too, they are good band! but in my eyes they aren't doom.

I found doom-metal.com just after I posted this :) What's the difference between Gothic and Doom?

It's a good think I'm a leeching arsehole, otherwise I'd be up for $$$ right about now.

Oh. Are there any new bands like Sentenced going around these days? Other than Sentenced, I mean. I like Sentenced. Particularly "The Cold White Light". I think I may actually be after gothic metal rather than doom metal now. I think. Or maybe gothic doom. I don't know. Hell, I've got nothing better to do, I'll listen to it all.

Rapture (Finland) are pretty similiar to 'Brave Murder Day' era Katatonia. Try Poisonblack (side project of Ville from Sentenced and JP from Charon among others), Entwine, early Theatre Of Tragedy, Lacuna Coil, To/Die/For, Before The Dawn, Braindance, Charon etc if you are after gothic metal.

I can't stand the chicks voice from Evanesence, its so irritating.

the 'Wild Honey' album by Tiamat is pretty much doom metal. Most of their other staff is gothic metal/rock.

yeah i know. but like i said, it doesn't matter what genre its in. if it rocks it rocks.