HEY HAWK!!!! How about a History Lesson?

tedvanfrehley

Your Favorite Uncle
May 28, 2003
the bluegrass state
Visit site
HAWK,
Your reply to my Sex Pistols thread got me to thinking. I think it's awesome you saw them live and I know you've seen a TON of now legendary bands in your time...some that people like me can only wish to have seen. I just wondered if you would please list a few of your most favorite shows of legendary acts and what you remember about them. For example "saw led zeppelin and robert plant fell down drunk" or something cool like that. Just indulge me a couple stories if you will!!! I am sure we would all love to hear them. PLEASE?!?!?!?!
Ps...I know METAL DOG would like this one too!

GIVE US SOME SCOOP!!!!

pps...my favorite story of yours so far is how you used to hang out with King Diamond in the clubs and he really did have real human bones as his mic stand.

Let 'er rip!
Ted

Are these stories limited to just Hawk? If not, I have a few of my own.

In 1984, I went to a show where Whitesnake was promoting their album Slide It In, and Van Halen now featured Sammy Hagar on vocals for the album 1984. I mainly went to the show to see Whitesnake, and I was front row and center; pressed against the security railing. I jammed to Whitesnake and had an absolute blast. During intermission I felt this tap on my shoulder. I turned around and some muscle-head jock two rows back was rudely requesting that I relinquish my coveted spot against the security rail. Naturally I declined. I didn't much care for Van Halen with Sammy, but what the hell; I paid my money I was gonna keep my great view of the stage.

Muscle-head tapped me on the shoulder a few minutes later, again asking if I'd make room for him in the sardine can of the front row. Again, I declined, politely explaining that there just wasn't room for him (and his jock friend). The third time he asked me, he did so with more authority; he grabbed my hair and yanked my head back nearly hard enough to snap my neck. Naturally, I got pissed off. I wasn't a big guy, but I was tall and skinny, and my arms reached far enough that I could stick my middle finger about three inches from his nose. At this point, a vein popped out on his forehead, his face turned red and his eyes had a look of wanton, wreckless destruction in them.

I thought, "Oh shit! I'm in trouble now!" just as he started swinging, mostly hitting innocent bystanders in between us. Fortunately, during the intermission, I had been chatting and getting friendly with a very large security guy and I immediately turned to him and asked if he could get me the fuck outta there. He grabbed me under the arms and hauled me over the security railing head first, and then ran me backstage before Muscle-head and his buddy could even lay a hand on me.

For weeks after that, people kept coming up to me at parties and saying, "I saw you go over the railing during the intermission at Van Halen!". How did they know it was me? I was one of the few locals with long blonde hair and I was wearing a homemade DEMON shirt with The Unexpected Guest printed on the back of it. Anyone who knew me recognized me summersaulting out of the crowd between Whitesnake and Van Halen!

I have more stories if anyone is interested, including: the time I partied with (a very shy) Michael Schenker, Robin McCauly, and Mitch Perry at an MSG show, or the time when Tom Araya from Slayer stopped a show because he got pissed off at the security guard, or the time I had a Marshall stack from Flotsom fall on my head, or the time I caught Rob Halford undressing me with his eyes at the Mason Jar in Phoenix, or the time when I was surrounded with Dead Heads at a Phish concert, who were all convinced I was an acid dealer and wouldn't take no for an answer.

Yeah, those were the good old days!

Oh absolutely...anybody can post on here...I love to hear 'em all. I just singled Hawk out because as far as I know he's the oldest around here (no offense, buddy, hehe) and he's seen a lot of bands live that most of us will never get to see like Led Zeppelin, Sex Pistols, Cream, and so forth....but any stories are welcome!!!!

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
or the time when I was surrounded with Dead Heads at a Phish concert, who were all convinced I was an acid dealer and wouldn't take no for an answer.
Awwww Yes Phish Vermonts absolutely Most Terrible and Biggest contribution to Music :loco:

I was in a Plasmatics concert (must be early 80's)were they blew up a car. The venue was WAY too small for such an explosion. That could have been a real disaster but all turned out right. I guess the owner of that place never ever allowed any explosions any more !! Wendy rocked !!! It's so damn long ago I even don't remember what all went on that night (combination of my young age and some beers has something to do with it probably)...damn, that was a quart of a century ago !!!
Bit later on I saw Kim Wilde live there and got a chance to talk to her, wich pretty impressed this 16 yr old kid :loco:
Few years later I saw one of the best gigs ever here too; Agent Steel/ Overkill/ Anthrax...Awfull little festival and we hang out there with guys of Heir Apparent and Savage Grace who were standing in the audience, not expecting to be recognized... Anyone selling a time-machine ??? :headbang:

When I was in college some of us went to see this band that was in town from New York called White Zombie. They were playing this small-ass bar that held about 50 people, but on that night there were about 10 people there. The band SUCKED!!! We left after 2 songs (Cat Scratch Fever and Detroit Rock City.... VERY bad covers) and forgot about them until about a year later when we saw the video for Thunder Kiss '65.