hey neil, drumkit from hell question

sorceron

ken
Jul 20, 2005
nyc
www.myspace.com
Since i know you have both these libraries I figured you may be the guy to ask. I need to get drumkit from hell. the only samples i need are the ones played by Tomas Haake. from what i hear superior has other drummers on other kits as well. If I only want the really metal sounding kits would it be better for me to just by drumkit from hell 2, or is it worth it for another reason to buy drumkit from hell 2 superior?

I'm not Neil, but I can comment on this. Drumkit from Hell 2 sucks, thanks to the tremendously crappy built in sampler, Kompakt. Superior is fantastic, and the realism is for the most part unmatched right now. It does have kits other than what you call the "metal kits," but the quality and flexibility are absolutely amazing. DFH 1, if you can find it, works well enough when paired with Battery, but I have yet to hear a very convincing track using it when programmed. For triggering, I'd guess it would be useful, but I've only used DFH 1 programmed for demos, and Superior triggered. My recommendation would be to go for Superior, so long as you can afford the extra cost, financially and in terms of hard drive space.

Exsanguis said:
I'm not Neil, but I can comment on this. Drumkit from Hell 2 sucks, thanks to the tremendously crappy built in sampler, Kompakt. Superior is fantastic, and the realism is for the most part unmatched right now. It does have kits other than what you call the "metal kits," but the quality and flexibility are absolutely amazing. DFH 1, if you can find it, works well enough when paired with Battery, but I have yet to hear a very convincing track using it when programmed. For triggering, I'd guess it would be useful, but I've only used DFH 1 programmed for demos, and Superior triggered. My recommendation would be to go for Superior, so long as you can afford the extra cost, financially and in terms of hard drive space.
aw man that sucks. i just bought dfh2 on ebay. right before i read this. I figured "it should be fine". hopefuly i wont be kicking myself.

If I can dig up my old recordings, I can show you that you *CAN* get DFH2 to sound great. DFHS is good but the cost isn't justified unless you really need a jazz kit and hand percussion kit. If you are going to do just heavy stuff, then DFH2 or DFH1 should be fine. I can show you a ton of sound clips using DFH1 that will make you go "wow, thats programmed?" I personally like the tighter snare that is on DFH1, however, on DFH2 the snare is so much more raw sounding that you can program drums for a lot of different styles of music, whereas DFH1 is strictly metal...not saying that you couldn't use DFH1 to do some others tyles, but the kit just has a metal sound to it. I'll get the links n stuff so you can hear DFH1. Latah.

~006

Personally, I think the leakage control alone justifies the cost of DFHS. I'd love to hear a little more life in metal drums these days, and the leakage and room sounds provided in DFHS is an excellent start.

006 said:
If I can dig up my old recordings, I can show you that you *CAN* get DFH2 to sound great. DFHS is good but the cost isn't justified unless you really need a jazz kit and hand percussion kit. If you are going to do just heavy stuff, then DFH2 or DFH1 should be fine. I can show you a ton of sound clips using DFH1 that will make you go "wow, thats programmed?" I personally like the tighter snare that is on DFH1, however, on DFH2 the snare is so much more raw sounding that you can program drums for a lot of different styles of music, whereas DFH1 is strictly metal...not saying that you couldn't use DFH1 to do some others tyles, but the kit just has a metal sound to it. I'll get the links n stuff so you can hear DFH1. Latah.

~006
right on yea man, id like to hear those.

Hi Ken..

I have the original DFH and Superior, so I can't comment on DFH2. I messed around with the individual samples and not the midi implementation. Some pretty good sounds though.

Neil K.