Hi all

Cold Earth

Insert Humor Here
Nov 1, 2006
Hey, I've been lurking for quite a while now and finally decided to post. I'm very interested in learning everything I can from such a great place. I've read and read, searched and searched, and finally tried some of the stuff I had found. Here is something I did this last evening for a friend that sent me MIDI that he made in GuitarPro:

http://download.yousendit.com/17C6D6185B1A5977

Other than the kick drum, I'm happy with how it sounds, kinda, LOL. I want to get some guitars on it to see how it will really sound since I've learned that drums sound almost dramatically different once you put things on top of them.

Any comments or advice? I've noticed some users that reply to things like this sometimes say things like "try cutting around XXXHz", etc. This will be for some tech-death style music with some grind here and there.

And as a disclaimer, do understand that it's programmed. No velocity tweaking was done. I'm not interested in how realistic or fake the playing itself sounds, I'm really trying to concentrate on mixing the drums before I learn how to tweak the velocities to sound more real.

Thanks in advance guys!

believe it or not, the velocities will play a big role in the overall drum sound

a snare being whacked as hard as can be will hit a compressor differently than a little whack

different whacks will sound different in different spots in the drum playing as well, depending on the software i guess

drums are one of the hardest things to record and mix, properly, period.

Yep...the shape of the sound doth not cometh before thy playing.

Simply put, you can't mix something that ain't there yet.

*sigh*, more stuff to remember! Haha.

But all that aside. Advice on what I have up then?