hi i need some advice / assistance

minxnim

meow
Aug 2, 2002
Visit site
i am trying to make my bedroom the primary place where i paint and stuff (right now i use the living room but that's a no go lately.)
my problem is, there's almost no natural sunlight that comes into my room and the fixtures that are there have an awful glare and are dim. what can i do to fix this? are there any bulbs or something that have less glare specifically for painting/drawing? as it is i can sometimes not even see well enough in the light in there to see fine lines in drawings b/c of the glare off the paint/paper.
it's bumming me out.
azal stay out of this thread.
xoxo minx

omg so weird i was just looking at the same friggin light. do you think any hardware store type place would have those?

those bulbs look like they'd fit into a standard flourescent light fixture, right?
vitalite_bipin_diagram.gif

I mean, of course you'd have to make sure the bulb you buy is the right size.

i have no idea. i am afraid i'll get a bunch and they wont work. i guess the most important thing according to that site is to get a full spectrum bulb ?

minxnim said:
i have no idea. i am afraid i'll get a bunch and they wont work. i guess the most important thing according to that site is to get a full spectrum bulb ?

Yeah, I get a catalog(art supply wearhouse of some shit like that) that's has a bunch of different light bulbs but basically they're all just full spectrum.

ooh cool that's right you paint! help! so frostgiant is there a certain wattage i should get or something? because i have two bulbs i could put in my room but they are not in the center so i am thinking i may need something with a higher #?

I dunno. I just set up in my kitchen where the lighting's decent. I've noticed more than anything though that where I set up relative to the light as far as glare is concerned is of much importants. But I guess these bulbs are supposed to reduce glare also (I should actually get one or two of these and see how they work). I guess I would probably go with some 60 watt bolbs but that's really just a guess based off of what I use for regular lights.

oh cool i wonder if just a regular old hardware store will have these because i am not into the idea of waiting, i have NO TIME FOR THAT

Balanced light is critical to the effective creation and presentation of objects of art. The value of a light source is determined by how well it renders all colors of the visible spectrum with-out exception or bias. This is referred to as the Color Rendering Index (CRI) and is measured on a scale of 1-100. Verilux balanced full spectrum fluorescent tubes are an exceptional light source with a CRI of 94.5. Verilux provides unparalleled accuracy in judging hue, value, color and texture. Not only do they illuminate colors more accurately, they also provide a beautiful and cheery balanced white light that helps promote a sense of health and well being while providing crisp and sharp detail. Verilux brings vivid true colors of day into your studio, night and day.

Looks like what you would be looking for is a good CRI number (unless that's a fake thing made up by Veriluz to sell light bulbs) at 50 watts or higher. But these lights are pretty expensive. The one that the previous post was advertising cost $16 for one bulb.

As for who's got em I have no idear. If a hardware store aint got one you might want to check a pet store. They might carry some natural light type of light bulbs.

Wouldn't it be cool and original to produce things in low light or uneven light because that way they are closer to reality or even further from reality? It could be a style choice and you could give birth to a new movement in art, minx. Just a maniacal thought.

listen dude of i am writing out a sketch and i can't even see the pencil lines on the canvas well, i guess i wont be getting any point across at all :(

Wow, that must be some horrible lighting. My eyes are pretty bad too, from being in growroom with HPS lights.

no, you dont get it, it's just REALLY bad lighting. i have perfect vision.
it's just really shitting high glare stuff and when you're using acrylic paint the glare is ridiculous.

you could buy a dark room bulb and paint in the closet and insist everyone wear red glasses when they look at your paintings. then you could take pictures of the people looking at your paintings and call that art, because everyone in your paintings would have red glasses on. in all sorts of scenarios: at the park, in a mall, in the bathroom, upside down, on the subway, etc.

or the spectrum bulbs, whatever.
those curly bulbs in the top banner on that page are what we use mostly- they last a long time and have nice white light rather than crappy yellow bulbs. plus they're more energy efficient. more expensive than plain bulbs, but they're way better. not sure about glare, though, sorry.

either way, i agree waiting is not an option because more paintingz must be done. toot sweet.