Hi Z Input Clipping

Mauled

New Metal Member
Apr 22, 2015
Hi, I have a RME Babyface and a schecter km7 with passive pickups (sentient and nazgul). I am trying to record direct through the HI-Z input on the babyface and I noticed that my guitar clips the input unless I set the gain to 15.0 (lowest being 9.0 and highest being 60.0). I tried reamping the signal out through my radial jmp reamp box and got a really weak tone. I'm wondering do I need a DI box? Or could I just get a pad?

If you can get the signal to NOT clip and still have from "9.0 - 15.0", I'd say you're fine. Unless I'm not fully understand the question.

If it's not clipping, you're fine.

If you can get the signal to NOT clip and still have from "9.0 - 15.0", I'd say you're fine. Unless I'm not fully understand the question.

If it's not clipping, you're fine.

I can get it not to clip at 15.0, it peaks at -1dB though in my totalmix software. The problem is though when I send my signal out to be re amped it is much weaker then it normally would be if i had recorded through my amp. The only thing that helps is hitting it with a limiter before I send it to my amp to be re amped but I know this is not a good idea. Would a di box solve this issue?

I can get it not to clip at 15.0, it peaks at -1dB though in my totalmix software. The problem is though when I send my signal out to be re amped it is much weaker then it normally would be if i had recorded through my amp. The only thing that helps is hitting it with a limiter before I send it to my amp to be re amped but I know this is not a good idea. Would a di box solve this issue?

Radial boxes are known for that unfortunately. I used to have one but I had it modded (it's very easy and Radial provided the instructions after I contacted them), but nowadays I'm using a LittleLabs Red eye 3D instead which I like much better.

Had the same problem with my Radial X-amp. It took a while to get the right tweaks and I finally sold it. I'm happy now with my Palmer Daccapo...

You forgot about situations where input level is higher than interface output level, which can be weak enough. Most normal reampers (including ProRMP with mod) usually transfers level 1 to 1, while in many cases only amplification can restore original level.

Radial boxes are known for that unfortunately. I used to have one but I had it modded (it's very easy and Radial provided the instructions after I contacted them), but nowadays I'm using a LittleLabs Red eye 3D instead which I like much better.

Wow, didn't know that. I know this isn't the main source of the problem though because I have used other peoples di tracks through the rmp and got great results. It's only with my hi z signal it happens. I have another guitar with Emg actives and I can pump the gain all the way up to 30dB and still have a lot of headroom. I'm thinking about getting a countryman type 85.

Active pickups are limited by battery voltage, for EMGs peak output level is around 2.25 V (depending on output impedance and pots). Passive pickups can give two times more level or so.
Type 85 can not help with input level problems, EMGs can give better result due to compression because of internal clipping, i.e. large RMS level while peak level is low. Actually Type 85 have low input level in instrument mode, check specifications, if I`m remember correctly, input level can be lower than BabyFace.

In general, if pickup gives around 4-5 V peak output, not only Hi-Z input should take this level, but interface output should be capable of producing such levels, even with 1 to 1 reamper (like modded Radial ProRMP, for example).