kemper into a babyface

man, i'm just a regular guy

.... i'll just pick up the one converter to run the dry direct out/send with the main outs, to start the album, and then at some point i'll pick up a coax/opt spdif converter to A/B the sound using both outputs. an extra $150... i have a feeling kemper had to decide where to cut corners on the unit to come in 20 percent cheaper than the axe... the lesson learned here is to pick an interface directly compatible to the kemper

another feeling i have is that kemper would've focused the quality of the hardware towards all outputs except the spdif, given the majority of users will not be using it for direct input, thus the reason why its reported the spdif sound is a little more flat. i'm willing to bet the extra conversions needed coming out of the higher quality hardware associated with the main outs will not deteriorate the sound to the point where the main outs will sound worse than the spdif, but i'll up some A/B for you kids in a couple of days once i set this all up (just have to slug 20k lbs of furniture first)

Fwiw: I can't remember anyone around here mentioning the Spdif sounding worse than the main outs, and I know quite a few people obsessed with guitartone use it to reamp. But it's always best to test for yourself!

Maybe the Kemper runs on 44.1 because the profiling would be too heavy on the hardware in higher SR. Or C.Kemper himself sees 48khz the same way some of us do^^

... bought all the converters, set everything up.

i'd A/B it for y'all, too lazy, but bottom line is:

s/pdif in

is better

than the main's in. conversion really does degrade the sound.

... the way the kemper sounds spdif through my monitors is quite possibly the greatest tone i've ever achieved. when i hit record, it doesn't play back the same though. i have a feeling the kemper is best hooked up to some speaker and mic'd the same as any other amp in a professionally setup environment.

Nah, since what you hear is an amp+cabinet that's already been mic'd, so to mic and record something that's already been mic'd up once doesn't make much sense.

If it doesn't sound good when recorded, you've likely to have fucked up in some way. I've recorded my Kemper through S/PDIF into me Babyface and it sounds awesome.

we've got the same setup eh. i've just started messing with it, last little thing i did with a clean 'amp factory' profile with a tube screamer in the line before the kemper, sounded absolutely phenomenal. i think amp factory is the way to go, prob steal the wife's credit card shortly before she wakes up (to my p33n in her face) tomorrow

happy new years kids.

just f'ing around, some good old drop D. closest i've come to studio quality, straight out the kemper. used random TAF profiles and punched some of the kemper stomps on it. no mixing... just 2bus sslcomp with master preset, and the stock studio one limiter master preset. sounds familiar, you kids probably know better than me who i'm ripping off

https://soundcloud.com/fairlytfcertain/kemper-test2