Hi-Z vs. Lo-Z

_wayfarer

Apr 11, 2011
Hello everyone, this happens to be around my tenth post on the forums and I wanted to give back some basic information to thank you all for the helpful tips and advice I've received while browsing the threads.

The Basics of "Z" (or impedance):

To begin, the "Z" is really just a symbol for what we call impedance. Precisely defined, impedance is the total opposition to an alternating current by an electric circuit, equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the resistance and reactance of the circuit and usually expressed in ohms. Without getting into the physics and mathematics behind impedance in an electrical circuit, impedance is the collective resistance to an electrical current.

How is impedance measured?:

Impedance is measured in Ohm's (named after Georg Simon Ohm), the basic unit of electrical resistance. Most electrical devices operate on a Low-Z current.

What is considered Low-Z?:

Devices considered as Low-Z typically have an impedance of up to around 600 ohms.

What is considered Hi-Z?:

Devices considered as Hi-Z typically have an impedance of over 600 ohms to thousands and even tens of thousands of ohms.

Why does it matter?:

When recording sound, certain microphones and guitar pickups are considered Hi-Z, which in turn means they have a higher voltage. This will generally mean they have a higher signal and therefore a superior "signal to noise" ratio. This means that when the source impedance is equal or higher than the input impedance, the signal will deteriorate causing a poor frequency response.

Balanced vs. Unbalanced:

A unbalanced cable contains a center conductor and a shield. While the shield is essential to the cable, the audio signal travels on the center conductor. The shield absorbs any electrical interference that may have otherwise reached the center conductor.

A balanced cable contains two impedance balanced conductors guarded by a shield. The shield provides a defense against interference because the audio signal does not travel down the shield.

In conclusion:

It is important to know what equipment of yours is Hi-Z and Lo-Z as well as if your cables are balanced or unbalanced. I had hoped this clarification would show the differences and give you (as the engineer) a look into why things happen the way they do (such as buzzing and humming). Although this may not have explained when to use what, I will hopefully add a Part II that will accurately describe that.

Thanks again to everyone on the forum, I appreciate your ongoing support and love of music.

Cheers.

Yes, guitar cabinets do present a resistance to the AC signal (being audio in this case). For example, if you are planning on using a 16 ohm cab, your amp head should also be set to handle 16 ohms. If you are using parallel cabs that have the same impedance, let's say for example "A", then you simply divide A by two (A/2) and this gives you the optimal impedance of your amp head. Ex: Two 16 ohm cabs running parallel should be operated by an amp head with 8 ohm impedance.

Balanced vs. Unbalanced:

A unbalanced cable contains a center conductor plus a shield. The audio is transmitted across the shield, so any interference is directly transmitted into the audio signal. This can cause buzzing and humming.

A balanced cable contains impedance balanced conductors guarded by a shield. The shield provides a defense against interference because the audio signal does not travel down the shield.

I don't know where you got that from, I even looked it up because I was second guessing myself. Unbalanced cable signals are not being sent through the sh+ shield. The buzzing and humming is from small amounts of noise still making it through the cable...and other parts of the amp that are picking up stray noise (there are 60/50Hz cycles inside the chassis of the amp, which can't be blocked by the chassis at all, and become massively amplified by the amp.

Other than that everything is spot on, you actually saved me from writing this up.

Yes, guitar cabinets do present a resistance to the AC signal (being audio in this case). For example, if you are planning on using a 16 ohm cab, your amp head should also be set to handle 16 ohms. If you are using parallel cabs that have the same impedance, let's say for example "A", then you simply divide A by two (A/2) and this gives you the optimal impedance of your amp head. Ex: Two 16 ohm cabs running parallel should be operated by an amp head with 8 ohm impedance.

I'm not talking about the amp output. I mean the guitar input on the amp.

I don't know where you got that from, I even looked it up because I was second guessing myself. Unbalanced cable signals are not being sent through the sh+ shield. The buzzing and humming is from small amounts of noise still making it through the cable...and other parts of the amp that are picking up stray noise (there are 60/50Hz cycles inside the chassis of the amp, which can't be blocked by the chassis at all, and become massively amplified by the amp.

Other than that everything is spot on, you actually saved me from writing this up.

Thank you for pointing this out, I used a bad source I'm afraid. I'm still learning this all myself. I will edit it and fix this section.

It's worth pointing out as well that another benefit of a balanced circuit (audio in this case) is the fact that the front end of whatever you're connecting the source/cable to will typically be using a differential amplifier.

With two conductors of identical impedance in the cable carrying the signal, any external noise or interference that IS picked up with be induced in equal amounts on both. Since the noise component of the signal is identical on both, and the differential amplifier amplifies only the delta between the two, the noise is effectively rejected (no delta).

This is known as common-mode noise rejection (CMR).

It's worth pointing out as well that another benefit of a balanced circuit (audio in this case) is the fact that the front end of whatever you're connecting the source/cable to will typically be using a differential amplifier.

With two conductors of identical impedance in the cable carrying the signal, any external noise or interference that IS picked up with be induced in equal amounts on both. Since the noise component of the signal is identical on both, and the differential amplifier amplifies only the delta between the two, the noise is effectively rejected (no delta).

This is known as common-mode noise rejection (CMR).

Excellent point but I feel I have to point out to some that there will always be a very slight difference in impedance and EMF noise in an inverting and none inverting inputs of a balanced input resulting in a very small amount of noise. I do have to say that the Impedance difference should and would be very minimal since the Operational amplifiers differential inputs were manufactured on the same substrate.