Preamp Impedance Matching Clips (Modded 5150 II)

lolzgreg

Cereal Shipping Sneapster
Dec 17, 2008
Long Beach, New York
I know someone else here did a clip of lowering the input impedance of a microphone preamp. This is done by soldering a resistor between pins 2 and 3 of an xlr cable (the male side) inside the protective housing. You calculate the kind of resistor you need by using this formula:

(1/desired input impedance)-(1/microphone pre's current input impedance)

and then dividing 1 by the answer you receive above:

for example:

(1/300)-(1/2850) =.002982

input below

(1/.002982) = 335.34

Nearest resistor to this- 330 ohms

I used the number 300 because it is the input impedance of most Neve preamps and also very close to the input impedance of MANY MANY dynamic microphones.

Chain used: Dean Vendetta w/ Duncan Mustaine Livewires-> 5150 II (Modded)-> Mesa Standard 4x12 straight (oversized)-> Audix i5-> Modded or Unmodded Cable-> M-Audio Octane-> RME Fireface 800 Lightpipe In

No boost on the amp this time.

The first two repetitions of the riff (up to 22 seconds) is part A and the second two from 22 seconds to the end is part B.

Nothing was used on the DAW aside from Dithering to Mp3, period.

Enjoy: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=926935&songID=7672480

I can't believe you guys don't hear the difference. A lot of the cloudiness and tinny sound of the top end seems to be remedied in the second half of the clip. I suppose I will test this on different sources.