Royer 121 with these preamp specs?

LosingReality

Oct 6, 2007
Columbus GA
Ok, im looking to use this mic with my presonus firebox. I have read on the royer website that it suggests a pre amp with these specs.

1. It says it should have a total gain of about 60db (but it says if recording loud electric guitar (which i will be) It says the gain will be reduced.

2. It also says preamp input impedance should be at least 4 to 5 times higher than the impedance of the ribbon microphone. 300 ohms

SO i looked on the presonus site for the specs of the firebox, and it says

1. Gain is 57db with the extra 12db on the software. (so im thinking that is plenty cause of the fact i will be recording a tube amp at loud volumes.)

2. And the input Impedance is 1.3k (1300) ohms which is more then 4 times but less that 5 times the mics imp. So right in the middle.

SO, to me it looks like it will work just fine. Is there any other reason to believe it wont work? before i go out and buy this. I might have a chance to get one of these for fairly cheap and i dont wanna pass it up. So you guys think it will work ?
Thanks!

EDIT: also is there a way to boost the gain alittle on the mic before it goes into the preamp?

Would this work? http://www.cascademicrophones.com/DPOWERPUG.html

In case you didn't know, you can't have the phantom power on AT ALL when you use that mic. It'll fry it...

I have a D-powerplug. I would not recommend it. Sure it will boost the signal but it will be noisy as hell.

In case you didn't know, you can't have the phantom power on AT ALL when you use that mic. It'll fry it...

It says when using the Dplug, you use the phantompower to power the Dplug, but it doesnt get to the mic....so no harm is done.

But without the plug, yea i know it can cause damage.

Don't bother. For recording guitar, stick with a 57 or an i5. Royer's are totally overrated for that application. Save your money.

Oz,

I'm not quite sure it's fair to say that it wouldn't work out with a 5150. I like dynamics as much as the next guy, but ribbons have such a different sound that might work out well for what this guy is going for.
I do think that dynamics suit amps with a lot of preamp gain like a 5150, but it couldn't hurt to try a ribbon. I do think that the Royer would work better in other applications, for more "airy" rock tones where capturing a bit of the room environment is important. But, it couldn't hurt to try.
With that said, it might be a better option to look at a cheaper ribbon. Check out the Peluso stuff. From what I hear they sound fantastic and are USA made. Only the casing is made overseas.

Just my $.02

-Joe

I have a 57, and i hate it....absolutly hate it. Its harder to get a good tone with that thing then any other mic i have or have tried.

Then you are doing something wrong. I went throught the same problem... I threw lots of money at it, but it turns out it was a bad 57. For a test, I bought 3 more of 'em one day & they all sounded great. Chose the best one & returned the others. Then marked the bad one as, "bad."

You might have a bad 57, or you might have a bad speaker... or you just might not know how to set your amp up right, either. There are many factors involved. Chances are, throwing $1000+ on a ribbon mic at the problem isn't going to help.

But, I'd like to try to help you out... what are your amp settings? Green or Red channel? What cabinet/speakers? Where are you placing the mic?

BTW, take a serious look at the Audix i5 before you spend money on a Royer.

Oz,

I'm not quite sure it's fair to say that it wouldn't work out with a 5150. I like dynamics as much as the next guy, but ribbons have such a different sound that might work out well for what this guy is going for.
I do think that dynamics suit amps with a lot of preamp gain like a 5150, but it couldn't hurt to try a ribbon. I do think that the Royer would work better in other applications, for more "airy" rock tones where capturing a bit of the room environment is important. But, it couldn't hurt to try.
With that said, it might be a better option to look at a cheaper ribbon. Check out the Peluso stuff. From what I hear they sound fantastic and are USA made. Only the casing is made overseas.

Just my $.02

-Joe

I didn't say "it wouldn't work." Don't put words into my mouth. I said it's overrated for the application. There's a difference. If he can't get good results with a 57 on a 5150, chances are he doesn't have his amp/speakers set up right... and a much more expensive mic might not help.
What I'm really saying is, "work the problem before you throw money at it."

I know I'll lose my Gearslut street cred by saying that, but it's true. :)

BTW, I know Peluso makes good stuff... I'm taking a serious look at a few of their products. Didn't know they made a ribbon, though. Have you heard one?

I didn't say "it wouldn't work." Don't put words into my mouth. I said it's overrated for the application. There's a difference. If he can't get good results with a 57 on a 5150, chances are he doesn't have his amp/speakers set up right... and a much more expensive mic might not help.

BTW, I know Peluso makes good stuff... I'm taking a serious look at a few of their products. Didn't know they made a ribbon, though. Have you heard one?

Oz,

Wasn't trying to put words in your mouth, I apologize if it came off that way. It just seemed that way by how you phrased it. (Beauty of the internet eh?? lol)

I agree about 57's/i5s etc. They can work in any application and will sound good on anything if worked correctly. I just wasn't sure what kind of sound the poster was going for.

I haven't heard the Peluso personally yet. It doesn't seem to be as popular as the Royer or Beyer stuff yet. Although every review I have seen so far has been pretty positive, so I think it's worth a try.

But before that, I might even try out the Avant ribbon first. Ridiculously cheap. I'm going to try and find one with a good return policy.

But yeah, Peluso seems to follow the Royer fame. They make a regular ribbon, tube ribbon, and stereo ribbon. I really want to try one out at some point. But, there aren't any dealers around here as far as I know. I'll most likely have to buy blind based on reviews.

-Joe

I use a marshall with V30s in it. I have tried the 57 on axis....off axis....dual mic'ed with an at2020 and an E609. I messed around with the 57 more then i want it, and im sick of it. I get a great tone with an AT2020 and E609 dual mic'ed. And all i do is set the mics and go....Im sick of a 57.

use a 121 AND a 57, my personal favourite on guitars. use the 57 for the bulk of the tone and the 121 to add in a little meat

I use a marshall with V30s in it. I have tried the 57 on axis....off axis....dual mic'ed with an at2020 and an E609. I messed around with the 57 more then i want it, and im sick of it. I get a great tone with an AT2020 and E609 dual mic'ed. And all i do is set the mics and go....Im sick of a 57.
Just consider the fact that you might have a bad one. That's what happened to me, anyway. When i finally got a new one, it was a case of "aaah.. now I get it."