Royer 121 with these preamp specs?

But before that, I might even try out the Avant ribbon first. Ridiculously cheap. I'm going to try and find one with a good return policy.

But yeah, Peluso seems to follow the Royer fame. They make a regular ribbon, tube ribbon, and stereo ribbon. I really want to try one out at some point. But, there aren't any dealers around here as far as I know. I'll most likely have to buy blind based on reviews.

-Joe

Avants are the same as APEX.... except their stereo LD mics, which look to be the same as Studio Projects. Looks like different paint jobs, anyway, but they probably came out of the same Chinese factory. FWIW, the Apex 165 pair, which looks to be the same as the Avant CK-1, sound like absolute shit.

FWIW, I've made a few blind mic purchases this year based on reviews & haven't been too happy. Trust your own ears first.

You do need to be careful with the volumes you throw at it. Also, just because it doesn't deteriorate on its own doesn't mean that it was used improperly. Ribbons are very sensitive.

That said, I have to side with Oz and say that if you can't get a good sound with an SM57 the problem isn't the fact that you're using an SM57...

Jeff

Avants are the same as APEX.... except their stereo LD mics, which look to be the same as Studio Projects. Looks like different paint jobs, anyway, but they probably came out of the same Chinese factory. FWIW, the Apex 165 pair, which looks to be the same as the Avant CK-1, sound like absolute shit.

FWIW, I've made a few blind mic purchases this year based on reviews & haven't been too happy. Trust your own ears first.

Yeah, I notice lots of brands are just "rebranded" these days.

It just sucks that most places around here don't carry the ribbons I'm interested.

I might look for used on ebay.

-Joe

You do need to be careful with the volumes you throw at it. Also, just because it doesn't deteriorate on its own doesn't mean that it was used improperly. Ribbons are very sensitive.

That said, I have to side with Oz and say that if you can't get a good sound with an SM57 the problem isn't the fact that you're using an SM57...

Jeff

i said im not using a 57 anymore. :)
I know you guys are trying to help me, but i have my mind set on a R-121. I cant help it, thats what i want.....if i dont like it, ill sell it on ebay....they go for good prices for what ive seen. If i lose a hundred or so, oh well....atleast i will know, it wasnt for me. IF i dont buy it, i will always wonder....hmm did i do the right thing? Maybe i could have a better tone right now. But like i said if i do buy it and hate it, atleast ill know i tried it. Know what i mean?

So with that said, please help me with a used one....i can get it for about 400 cheaper then a new one. Should i go with it? Its supposed to be mint condition....the guy says there is nothing wrong with it. Or would i be better off getting a new one?

What would you do, is what i mean basically.

About the ribbon, i was under the impression that the R-121 can with stand high SPL....It says it can with stand 135db, which is like a jet engine taking off. So my amp isnt gonna be that loud. Am i wrong?

Thanks

If he offers you a return if it isn't working perfectly, it sounds safe...

... but how many people will really admit to a mic having problems when it's worth that much? Trust your instinct and make sure you have another way out in case it doesn't go as planned.

I do get what you mean with wanting to know what could have been, but... fucking balls, going from a $90 mic to a $1300 mic is a big jump for not ever having to wonder what could have been. I'd at least try a few things in between those prices with that mindset, like an i5, an MD421, maybe some other condensers and ribbons... that's just a huge fucking jump and I'm sure you can understand our hesitation given how often people make impulse buys blaming gear for their issues and then just keep spending when things aren't perfect; if there were something that looked like a textbook case of that occurrence, "Guy doesn't like the mic that probably requires more discipline, patience, and know-how than any other common guitar amp mic, so he spends 15 times as much on a different one" would have to be it.

Jeff

If he offers you a return if it isn't working perfectly, it sounds safe...

... but how many people will really admit to a mic having problems when it's worth that much? Trust your instinct and make sure you have another way out in case it doesn't go as planned.

I do get what you mean with wanting to know what could have been, but... fucking balls, going from a $90 mic to a $1300 mic is a big jump for not ever having to wonder what could have been. I'd at least try a few things in between those prices with that mindset, like an i5, an MD421, maybe some other condensers and ribbons... that's just a huge fucking jump and I'm sure you can understand our hesitation given how often people make impulse buys blaming gear for their issues and then just keep spending when things aren't perfect; if there were something that looked like a textbook case of that occurrence, "Guy doesn't like the mic that probably requires more discipline, patience, and know-how than any other common guitar amp mic, so he spends 15 times as much on a different one" would have to be it.

Jeff

Thanks dude, i seriously appriciate your thoughts on this. But im the type of person once i get somthing in my head....im done and i gotta have it. MErcenary audio has a great return policy, it says you can try their items out for as long as you like, and if your not happy send it back for a full refund. So thats a good deal for a new one. The used one i am looking at, says no returns. :(

I'm the same way... and I usually kick the shit out of myself after things like that, so I'm trying to make the kind of appeal that would work on me.

Sounds sketchy... $400 under retail for a mint mic, but the bugger won't go through the hassle of a return? That sound fishy to anyone else? If that's the case I wouldn't go for it.

Also... make fucking SURE you insure something that pricey, no matter who is selling.

Jeff

I'm the same way... and I usually kick the shit out of myself after things like that, so I'm trying to make the kind of appeal that would work on me.

Sounds sketchy... $400 under retail for a mint mic, but the bugger won't go through the hassle of a return? That sound fishy to anyone else? If that's the case I wouldn't go for it.

Also... make fucking SURE you insure something that pricey, no matter who is selling.

Jeff

I hear ya man! heh

Im probably gonna just go with the new one from Mercenary audio. Because of their return policy. The dont even give a time frame for return....it just says try it as long as you like and return it in a reasonable amount of time for a full refund, so im sure i have atleast 30 days. Ill just lose the shipping cost, which will be less then i would lose on ebay if i sold it.

I might also buy a Cascade Fat head ribbon mic too, just to compare. So if i like the fathead better (which is only $159) I can return the R121 and save a ton of money. I know im kinda starting out the wrong way...lol But i gotta buy it or it will be eating at me until i do. :)

I use a Royer R121, and it's one killer mic.
It doesn't work for Andy Sneap on guitars but maybe it will work for you ?

You know the Royer is a very different mic from a 57, but as a 57, you really have to search the right spot. I love the opened high end it has, it will surely bring something to your guitar sound. I really love it as a drum room mic too, it handles EQ and compression very well. I would first buy a good mic pre before going into an investment like that, it will change the sound if your 57 ans maybe you'll be happier. The Royer has to be matched with a good pre I think, it's where it will shine the most.

I never could get a good sound out of an MD421, it always gets boxy.

I would first buy a good mic pre before going into an investment like that, it will change the sound if your 57 ans maybe you'll be happier. The Royer has to be matched with a good pre I think, it's where it will shine the most.

That is spot on.
ps the 121 is great on overheads too