High Gain Preamp Tubes

Sep 8, 2005
I´m about to buy new tubes for my amp, are the high gain JJ´s worth it? or i just buy the standard?? i friend of mine told me that standart sounded better than the high gain. What About the phase inverter?

Anyone have some experiences to share?

Well I assume you'll be putting 'em in either your 5150 or Rev Jr., neither of which need any more gain IMO! So I'd stick with standard (and also check out other tubes besides JJ, I really like Shuguang 9th gen. personally)

i´ll put them in the AT100 (B52) hehe, which has a lots of gain too haha, i will check those shuguang, the same friend recommend me the winged C too.

Edit: i think the amp already have those shuguang, i think i read it somewhere, they are only labeled "China"

I am also interested in the Shuguang 9th gen. preamp tube for my 5150 as I heard a great shootout comparing them to the JJ's. They seemed real tight and solid. I looked for the info on where to purchase them and ran in circles. Perhaps I need to find master Po? Sorry for the bad joke. Seriously, if anyone can steer me in the right direction on those 9th generation preamp tubes, I would be a happy boy! The big deal is finding a balanced tube for the phase inverter position, which is why I ask for a reference on where to purchase them from. I don't want to blindly try and mix and match tubes to find one that works in that position. I do however love my JJ tubes in the power amp section. I use two E34L's and two 6L6GC's, yeah that's right. I love the tone of the power section, I still feel I could tighten things in the preamp section though.

www.dougstubes.com

Go for Penta Labs 12AX7's, they take the best Shuguang 9th gens and just slap their own label on 'em! I did a shootout between Tung Sol, JJ, and Shuguang awhile ago, and while the difference was subtle, I found JJ too dark, Tung Sol a bit too shrill, and Shuguang just right :headbang:

I'm going to try the Penta Labs 12AX7 in V1 of my Mr. Hector. Any comments about RUBY 12AX7AC5 tubes for example in V2 and V3

My sockets goes like this V1 - first stage in preamp, V2 - second stage , only for Gain channel, V3 - stage 3 of the preamp, V4 - inverter

www.dougstubes.com

Go for Penta Labs 12AX7's, they take the best Shuguang 9th gens and just slap their own label on 'em! I did a shootout between Tung Sol, JJ, and Shuguang awhile ago, and while the difference was subtle, I found JJ too dark, Tung Sol a bit too shrill, and Shuguang just right :headbang:

how do those compare to nos? I have a used telefunken in the v1 and it sounds best of all the tubes I tried. sovtek lps is a pretty good tube, tried it in the v1 and it was pretty close to the nos but I stuck it in the phase I. So Im wondering how these chinese sound?? thanks! P.S. bugera 6260 here.

Never tried any NOS, but my impression from what I've read is there's a fair amount of snake oil going on there in the marketing, especially with the prices that are usually charged! :ill:

I'm actually a big fan of the higain JJs. They only have 10% more gain than standard rated - but it allows me to back off the amp gain a tiny bit, and overall the guitar seems more response to fast palm mute stuff.

well i ordered the penta 12ax7 will let you guys know how she sounds in a few days!

well i received my penta and I think they sound pretty good! not high or low sounding just right. ISO certified too.:worship: