High pitched vocals?

Nasty Savage is fun. I had that album on my iPod for a while and listened to it on my drunken journeys. EVIL THOUGHTS CROSS YOUR MIND AS YOU. BUY. A GUN. Got kinda tired of it after a while but still, that's some solid old-school.

EDIT: GLADIA TAAAAAAAAAAAA

Reactions: JontRevolting
I probably agree, atleast in a vacuum. But Arch in Fates is so adorable and fits so well that I'm not sure.

Yeah I couldn't imagine Arch era Fates Warning with different vocals, but I think Midnight is definitely the better vocalist on the whole. I also think I prefer The Spectre Within to Awaken the Guardian and I'm not sure if many would agree with that.

Yeah I couldn't imagine Arch era Fates Warning with different vocals, but I think Midnight is definitely the better vocalist on the whole. I also think I prefer The Spectre Within to Awaken the Guardian and I'm not sure if many would agree with that.

The Spectre Within for me as well, by quite a margin too. They pick the pace up a bit with Awaken the Guardian, but the mid paced progressive riffing on TSW is just stellar. AtG just seems to run together more musically and lacks the dynamic qualities present on TSW. I also think Arch's vocals have more power and variation to them on TSW.

i'd say my all-time favourites are probably harry conklin, brian ross and eric wagner. i think arch's peak moments are above anybody else though, totally spinetingling.

also a huge fan of baker, halford, eric adams, midnight, liebling, ozzy, glen may, pat walker, james rivera, sean harris.

The Spectre Within for me as well, by quite a margin too. They pick the pace up a bit with Awaken the Guardian, but the mid paced progressive riffing on TSW is just stellar. AtG just seems to run together more musically and lacks the dynamic qualities present on TSW. I also think Arch's vocals have more power and variation to them on TSW.

you think ATG is faster paced? i always thought the opposite. anyway, my feelings are that TSW reaches slightly higher peaks but AtG is overall better composed. both are amazing in any case.

you think ATG is faster paced? i always thought the opposite. anyway, my feelings are that TSW reaches slightly higher peaks but AtG is overall better composed. both are amazing in any case.
I agree to this, ATG is better as an album (both that the songs overall are better but also because the flow etc.) but some songs on TSW just goes to higher places.

What do you guys think of Night on Bröcken? Good prelude to the next two albums or just mediocre maiden worship?

It's not very good. It's funny how with all of the trad metal masterpieces released in 1984, from the biggest names to some obscurities, Fates Warning had probably the most forgettable album of all aside from Helstar's debut. Damnation, Soldier Boy, and Buried Alive are all strong songs, but even those would have been obvious filler if placed on The Spectre Within.

And I agree with EternalMetal, Spectre is much more dynamic and interesting than AtG, even though I still love both.

I dunno, some early Flotsam and Jetsam or Metal Church is pretty untouchable:

I mean, come on-

EDIT: What about Sanctuary??? Holy hell I'm ashamed I had to put this in an edit. Warrel Dane is easily my favorite singer, both from Sanctuary and certainly Nevermore:

Into the Mirror Black is in my top 3 for all time greatest metal albums.

I don't understand why Nevermore always seems to be so polarizing, I think they are amazing as hell and I listen to them all the damn time. Flawless band.

Last edited: