High School 1969 versus 2012

All of this is bloated hyperbole about how we need to go back to the "good old days."

No one said we needed to go back to as you called it "the good old days". I grew up in that time, yes things were alot different back then, some of the things that really stand out in my mind are:

1. Kids had respect for their parents, because parents had respect for the kids, and if a parent said jump the kid might ask why, but would do it anyway.

2. Kids had respect for teachers and school officals.

3. We were not X-Box zombies, we went outdoors, played, got hurt, got back up and played some more. We played outside at night till it was time to go inside.

4. We didn't feel that "We Were Owed" anything, what we got we worked for.

5. If you failed in school. you failed, everyone was graded on preformance, not what felt good.

6. No cell phones going off all day in school, or in stores or while driving.

7. Driving was a priviledge, not a right.

8. We started working at either 15 or 16, and looked forward to it, so we could have our "Own" money and not depend of Mom and Dad.

9. The biggest one, and I see very little of it today, We said Yes Sir, No Sir, Yes Ma'am, Please and thank you.

There will be some here(those under 45) who might think this is a bunch of crap, but if you didn't live it, then you might not know. Not saying that there aren't kids and teenagers out there that act and think like the above, i am just saying they are few and far between.

No worries J-Man. Some of us get it. It's not your fault that they don't recognize a parody when they see one. They probably think Sarah Palin really said she could see Russia from her back yard. Nor is it your fault that those that grew up in a PC Nanny State don't get it.

A lot of good things have happened since "the good old days," but some things are not better. And the reason we have a Nanny State isn't because the older generations are running things. It's because schools and everyone else have to put policies in place to avoid being sued by a generation that use litigation to get what they want, to avoid personal accountability, and get money.

Scenario 1: True. It was nothing for high schoolers to drive to school with a rifle or shotgun in a window rack. Guns don't have a place in school, but they definitely have a place in going shooting or hunting after school.

Scenario 2: True. We fought, the fighters may not have become friends, but when we got done it was over. Today the police are called, and kids get arrested.

Scenario 3: It's not easy, but it is possible to get SSI disability for ADHD.
Factors in Getting Disability for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)

Scenario 4: Parents do get arrested for spanking.
Local Mother Sentenced For Spanking
Pastor charged with felony for spanking son

Scenario 5: Kids have been expelled and even strip searched for Advil and Midol
Teen Expelled for Advil At School
Students Suspended for Carrying Midol, Advil
13-year-old's school strip-search case heads to Supreme Court

Scenario 6: Not too far fetched.
Flunking Out of School? Get a Lawyer

Scenario 7: Probably not... yet.

Scenario 8: Teachers do have to worry about hugs.
Can Teachers Ever Hug Students?

A lot of good things have happened since "the good old days," but some things are not better. And the reason we have a Nanny State isn't because the older generations are running things. It's because schools and everyone else have to put policies in place to avoid being sued by a generation that use litigation to get what they want, to avoid personal accountability, and get money.

Oh My God how true. Two thumbs up and a ^5

in response to the original post

i found it to be both hilarious and hauntingly acurate
i'm not really sure whether to laugh or cry

I'm 22 years old now, but all those changes mentioned in the first post I can clearly remember happening during my teenage years as a white-boy going to shcool in Canada. I remember in grade 7 or something when we had a massive assembly where the principal explained what a "lockdown" was, what the procedure would be and why they had chosen to implement it. The year I got into high school (I think 2003 or '04) was the year after the school brought in a zero-tolerance policy on fighting. When I was in grade 12 the school planted security cameras in halls and had rent-a-cops patrolling the schools, and they started doing random searches of people's lockers and bags. No metal detectors when I was there. I had a headache once and I tried to get aspirin for it at high school and I remember my teacher and the school nurse telling me that I wasn't allowed to get any from them.

Lots of the other stuff never happened to me directly or didn't happen at my school, but you heard about it from kids at other schools or on the news. I remember it all changing right in front of me and even back then as a teenager is weirded me out. Now I'm a piano teacher and I deal mostly with kids under 14 so I get updates on school and the gossip whether I want it or not. It all reminds me of the "Child Worship" bit by George Carlin...

you could change the 1969 part to 79 or maybe even 89 and the 1st post would still be completely totally acurate

also
going to highschool in 2012 was definately different than going to highschool in 92, the Columbine incident and 9/11 totally changed how school employees re-act to everything

Ah yes, everything was sooooo much better in 1969. Bull!!

I can give you just as many scenarios that were not so sanguine as put forth in this conservative post. Some things may have been safer during that time but there are just as many, if not worse, cultural and societal problems. Off the top of my head:

HIGH SCHOOL -- 1969 vs. 2012

Scenario 1:
Jack is told by his teacher to stay behind after school where he is molested. After several such incidents, Jack goes to the principal’s office and while embarrassed, tells the Vice Principal what happened.

1969 – The Vice Principal tells Jack to stop lying and get out of his office.
2012 – An investigation is conducted and its discovered the teather has molested several kids. He is arrested and imprisoned.

Scenario 2:
Melinda is told to attend a home economics class like all the girls. Melinda protests and wants to take an advanced biology class.

1969 – Melinda is told by her peers, teachers and principal that only boys take advanced biology classes. As a girl, it’s her duty to stay home, run the household and raise the kids.
2012 – Melinda takes the advanced biology class and goes on to college to become a researcher.

Lots of the other stuff never happened to me directly or didn't happen at my school, but you heard about it from kids at other schools or on the news. I remember it all changing right in front of me and even back then as a teenager is weirded me out. Now I'm a piano teacher and I deal mostly with kids under 14 so I get updates on school and the gossip whether I want it or not. It all reminds me of the "Child Worship" bit by George Carlin...

I went to Youtube after reading this, and I nearly died laughing. Carlin should go down as one of history's greatest philosophers, because more often than not, he is sooooo right!

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to Youtube after reading this, and I nearly died laughing. Carlin should go down as one of history's greatest philosophers, because more often than not, he is sooooo right!

this was actually pretty funny
i understand what he's saying and it's an acurate portrayal of how some american parents treat their kids now, not all american parents are like this, and the contrast is amazing

Last edited by a moderator: