highlights from amazon.com

steak-knife: nope.

My favorite part is that his description of the first album is taken almost verbatim from the little round sticker that came on the shrink-wrap.

It's just yet another case of someone feeling abandoned by a band, and then thoroughly believing the melodrama they played out in their head to explain it all. And his assertion that Zorn hates melody or whatever...he clearly has no conception of his body of work. If you've only heard Naked City, Kristallnacht, or any of the more fringe stuff you might feel that way...but Masada? They're jazz compositions for pete's sake! They're just melodies! U(R@NFVW#(F@#HJ!

its cool that he doesnt like the album, but i think his ideas on avantgarde well i just disagree with them obviously. im not going to bother to explain why they are wrong here, but as a composer its not just about throwing all the rules in the trash can.
-f

I am consistently confused by people's personal desire/need to try and hurt/take sales away from bands, on the internet. Is Eric Jensen going to sleep better at night knowing that he saved some kid from blowing 14 bucks on an album that doesn't sound like maudlin of the well?

Basically he's saying: don't buy this album. fuck those guys. They shouldn't be making music and should remain slaves to the systemized workweek. I hope Driver and his friends suffer.

Kind of evil, no?

ummm not to defend Eric Jensen, but negativity makes positivity possible. if he has opinions on any ten given bands, and every opinion is positive, that kind of makes you wonder what sort of credence you give to those positive opinions. (if he only writes reviews for stuff he likes, it causes the same problem of perception).

so having five negative and five positive opinions of ten bands makes those positive reviews that much more significant.

so in effect, he's selling Kayo Dot out to amplify his praise of the latest Opeth, I guess.

this really really really really makes me want to just forget that the internet exists. i mean communication is great and all but seriously, people on the internet are really like crazy homeless people on the street. they WANT to share with you how crazy they are.