Hippie or Metalhead? A Simple Test

Dick Sirloin

please... stay safe
Jan 6, 2004
It seems like RC has become split between prog/jazz/folk/indie/etc fags and those for whom metal will always be the main course. Not sure where you stand? Run a search on your iTunes library (or whatever you use) for the words "death" and "love." THIS INCLUDES BAND NAMES AND ALBUM TITLES. From those numbers, you can calculate how metal you truly are.

For instance, my result:

"love" = 672 songs
"death" = 429 songs

(429/(672+429))*(x/100) = 42900/1101 = 38.96%

Therefore I am about 39% metal, which I hold to be mostly accurate.

ARTISTS WITH BOTH WORDS: Alice Cooper, Death In June, Megadeth, Sentenced and Type O Negative. :zombie:

I don't have many mp3s on my pc, but the results are as follows...

Death -172
Love - 18 The bulk of which is from My Bloody Valentine's Loveless. I think Nadicle recommend it years ago.

I don't have many mp3s on my pc, but the results are as follows...

Death -172
Love - 18 The bulk of which is from My Bloody Valentine's Loveless. I think Nadicle recommend it years ago.

90.5% metal.

I'm still waiting to hear the results for Hell Mike, Tully and Krigloch....

Love: 5 (w/ contributions from Mournful Congregation, Ulver, Acid Bath, Rome, and King's X)

Death: 300 (It'd be like a million more if I had the entire DsO discography on this computer)

Fuck off hippies!

98.3% metal? I think you cheated. That, or you have bananas in your ears....

Good thread! :kickass:
Unfortunately I have no such search function on my Zune software. Well I do have 108 Death Metal albums and one Earth Wind and Fire so yeah.....

Love = 5 (from Rush, While Heaven Wept, Kyuss, and Colour Haze)
Death = 66
92.7% metal

This is probably close to the truth, but I really only have like 5% of my collection on my computer. If I put everything, I'd say it'd go up to 95+

EDIT: I'm not counting Podcasts/Audio books either.

don't have a digital music library handy so i searched an old version of my record collection list

death 26

love 2, both of which instances are contained within the word "loveless"

I can't generate numbers with my program of choice's search function... but death was twice as long... yet full of hippy shit as well (ie; Roger Waters - Amused to Death)... sooo.... shitest

Love = 191 matches, Death = 123.

So, based on this method, I am 64% metal.

Although I don't even have half my collection on iTunes, I spose that's pretty accurate based on my cds, but my listening habits of the last couple of years would fluctuate the hippy side more than the metal side.

Will try this at home for songs, but for an old list of albums (thus only counting band and album names) I got 28 Death and one Love (cLOVEn hoof)

Here's another free test handed to you from me:

Do you prefer
a) beer
b) weed

a) metal
b) not metal

If you answered A more than B, you are a metalhead. If you answered B more than A, you are a dirty hippie.

The searches are still running but so far death is actually in the lead :lol:

I can't believe this shit

Do you prefer
a) beer
b) weed (can't it be both?)

a) metal
b) not metal

^ the 2nd category is actually an easier choice :loco:

Edit:
Death 398
Love 254

60.8% metal!

from the blind test library a.k.a my hard drive (Dev & Ellestin music + random SHIT) :

Death = 2836
Love = 617

for 30 337 tracks but I think it lists tags..

notable facts : Miles Davis (248 items), John Coltrane (134), The Gerogerigegege (79 - lol)...

81.6% in spite of me not having listened to metal for months.

The searches are still running but so far death is actually in the lead :lol:

I can't believe this shit

Do you prefer
a) beer
b) weed (can't it be both?)

a) metal
b) not metal

^ the 2nd category is actually an easier choice :loco:

Edit:
Death 398
Love 254

60.8% metal!

Your calculations seem to have gone horribly wrong.. somehow a whole "60%" got added.

o_O

Love = 191 matches, Death = 123.

So, based on this method, I am 64% metal.

Although I don't even have half my collection on iTunes, I spose that's pretty accurate based on my cds, but my listening habits of the last couple of years would fluctuate the hippy side more than the metal side.

No. That makes you 39.17% metal.

And I don't think it matters what % of your collection is on your computer. Unless there are extenuating cirumstances, I'd imagine the ratio would be pretty similar.