being a metalhead

15+ years ago, it would have been a completely different answer than it is now for myself.

Back then, when I had hair down the middle of my back, wearing studs and leather, I was often ridiculed fairly often by either classmates or workmates alike. out of a 1,000 kids I went to school with, only 10-15 of us were metal heads. Even though I was a gentle giant, I gave of the vibe of being (in their words) a rough, rugged, "Stoner". Growing up in a small farm area, I can't even count how many times the local Andy's & Barny's tried to nail me for something, only to find it they wasted their time and mine. Driving a 68' Chevy nova roaring down the rural roads blaring Anthrax and having the back window covered with bands stickers ranging from Fishbone to Deicide, certainly made me an easy target. Not to mention, the usual scuffles and fist fights with the typical macho alpha-male jocks-types, and the teacher or two that thought they shouldn't try to hard to educate you because you looked like a looser.

On the flip side, never had a problem getting the girls though! Back then, Metal was different, you were either into Thrash, or the fluff on the radio, and I listened to both, so my friends were pretty broad, and landed on one side or the other - the ones that listen to the radio rock/metal, would whine if I was spinning Voivod or Death, and other friends I hung with would harasses me playfully with terms like "Weak", "Gay" and "Poseur" if I happen to pop in a Skid Row or Winger album. Ahhhh, those were good times.

15+ years later, The leather and studs are gone, along with the hair (not my choice, it’s the genes!) however, the music taste never changed and only got larger and broader. Most of my old friends that were into the thrash/death crowd now openly listen to White Lion albums as if they liked them since grade school, and the other friends now like the heavier bands that they were afraid of long ago. …and then I have friends that "grew out of metal" and look at it as a phase.

In the work place, I am actually the musical dictator. I have a stereo that I brought in and set up, it is plugged into the building that has speakers plotted around the place. With an iPod that has over 25,000 songs, a majority are metal in every variety but ranging from Al Di Meola and Robert Palmer to Deicide and Mayhem. Everyone is pretty liberal with me playing store "DJ", and often make remarks to me being a bit like Jack Black in "High Fidelity" when I talk about music. I only work with a crew of 8 people, and in wholesale, and also deal with hundreds of repeat customers of many different tastes and backgrounds. Ironically, I have only ever had two complaints by customers over 10+ years of playing what they considered "Offensive" music in a public place. In fact, I have had far more compliments, and "Who's is this playing? ..this definitely isn't the radio! This is good stuff!" over the last decade.

I'm 24, wear pretty much exclusively metal shirts with sleeves cut off, long hair, etc. It's not really a secret that I'm into metal. The most i ever encounter are people who try to read the logos and kind of chuckle at how ridiculous they are (and those people are 100% correct... but that's the appeal :D ), people saying the artwork is awesome, some light harassment from co-workers, but nothing too negative. I think the biggest surprise for people when my bandmates and I are walking around is how pleasant we are to people. I guess that stereotype isn't gone yet, but pretty much everyone seems happily surprised when we care to smile and say thank you.

I'm 24, wear pretty much exclusively metal shirts with sleeves cut off, long hair, etc. It's not really a secret that I'm into metal. The most i ever encounter are people who try to read the logos and kind of chuckle at how ridiculous they are (and those people are 100% correct... but that's the appeal :D ), people saying the artwork is awesome, some light harassment from co-workers, but nothing too negative. I think the biggest surprise for people when my bandmates and I are walking around is how pleasant we are to people. I guess that stereotype isn't gone yet, but pretty much everyone seems happily surprised when we care to smile and say thank you.

Being a fan of metal and having the look to boot doesn't automatically make that person an asshole like some people think.I'm glad to hear you make sure to try and change that perception when you get the chance.By the way,aren't most serial killers short haired or bald anyway???

Being a fan of metal and having the look to boot doesn't automatically make that person an asshole like some people think.I'm glad to hear you make sure to try and change that perception when you get the chance.By the way,aren't most serial killers short haired or bald anyway???

Ahem, bald metalhead here... :Smug:

The most I ever get is "I would never have guessed you like metal. You don't look like you'd like it."

Yep, I get that ALL the time.

These days I mostly put up with good-natured teasing from my friends and family.

However, I joined a sorority my first year in college, and quite a few of the girls avoided me, as they were convinced I was a "devil worshipper"! By the time I transferred to University of Arizona, bands like Bon Jovi and Whitesnake and Def Leppard had pretty much been accepted into popular culture, so my taste in music wasn't as big of a deal there.

Then my first job out of college was working at a country music record label in Nashville. I took *tons* of crap from the other employees the first couple of years, but as more and more people moved to Nashville from NY and L.A., with varying tastes in music, I became less of a “misfit”. :lol:

I live in Alabama which is "The Heart of Dixie" and the heart of the bible belt. I never "plan" to or not to dress metal, but tend to open my closet and put on whatever feels right at the time, so often it is a concert tee. I also do have long hair, but often wear it in a pony-tail. I really never have any anyone say anything negative though. In fact, even if I were to put on my most graphic Slayer tee and let my hair down, I might have some little-old-lady come up to me at Wal-Mart and say "your hair is so pretty. I wish I had naturally curly hair lke that." Despite being 6'1" and 185 lbs, I am a people person and I seem to have a friendly face. Growing up in The South, I hold doors open for Ladies and am pretty much a gentleman.
I don't get any flak at work either. In fact, a couple of my co-workers enjoy Pagans Mind. I wasn't able to get them into many other bands I have played in the shop radio (though they don't bitch,) but they warmed up to the PM pretty well. All in all, despite living in Alabama, I rarely get any bad comments from anyone. I get a few questions from time to time. For example, people wonder why a Swedish band sings in Englsh etc. but most comments I get are from curiousity.

Bryant

I think the biggest surprise for people when my bandmates and I are walking around is how pleasant we are to people. I guess that stereotype isn't gone yet, but pretty much everyone seems happily surprised when we care to smile and say thank you.

I loove surprising the crap out of people like that. They're probably thinking "gee, a longhaired metalhead, t-shirt and jeans, betcha he works at Taco Bell or something"...and then I give them a really big tip. It's my version of a mindfreak. :lol:

Haha. This thread has reminded me how old everyone on here is. :p

"How old are YOU, youngster?" Pellaz wheezed. :D

I haven't been criticized too much over my choice of music, but every year when I put in for vacation for ProgPowerUSA, people ask me..."Is it really worth it to travel 1500 miles and spend $1000 just to see a few metal bands?" ...to which every PPUSA atendee knows the answer...I would pay double! If there is ever a weekend that I will remember long after other memories fade, its ProgPower weekend, most memorable being Nightwish, Kamelot, Pain of Salvation, Weapons of Mass Destruction, Pagans Mind, most memorable being the 1st time, Jorn, Epica, Mercenary scorched my balls off!,the hot bartender which for two years in a row made me tip alot more than I ever wanted to lol...and so on. Metal is a lifestyle and I'm glad I live it every day. People who don't get it don't realize what they are missing.