Hmm an amp question

-Loco-

Knives.
Apr 17, 2009
omgaiguzogz hi guyz im like nu to thu forum nd wna b like u guiz.

sorry i felt the need to be even more retarded than my current state.

ANYWAY.

Right - triple rec, if i take out some of my 6l6's the amp will be quieter and can still run..right? so does that mean i can drive the pre-amp harder? and does that mean i could potentially have 2 power amp tubes running with all the pre-amps...run em hot and loud - to a volume where im actually going to start getting something out of the triple rec as its a fucking loud bastard with a tiny touch of the master dial...and then i might ACTUALLY be able to mic this amp and record with it?

this is probably a nice little question for metaltastic to answer :OMG:

and i'm probably being a noob. Thanks guys!

Haha, yup, time for me to make an appearance - first off, the 6L6's are power tubes, so they have no effect on the preamp; the only way to run the preamp harder is to turn up the gain knob! ;) Also, unfortuately, apparently pulling two tubes out of the triple recs doesn't work quite as well as on 100 watt amps, here's a quote from a thread about the subject over at the Boogie Board:

You can do it, but there is a downside.

The thing about pulling tubes is that it ends up changing the output transformer impedance. With a Dual, it's a 1:2 ratio. Pulling 2 tubes doubles the impedance, which doubles the speaker tap impedance also. The 4 ohm tap becomes 8, 8 becomes 16.

With a Triple, it's more of a 1:3 ratio. Pulling 2 tubes would increase the OT impedance by 1/3. So the speaker taps would change by that same ratio. The 4 ohm tap would become 5.33 ohms, 8 would become 10.67. That means you will have a mismatched speaker load with any speaker.

It's not a huge problem, but would cause the tubes to wear faster.

So if it's too loud for you (and I can easily imagine, I know it'd be too loud for me!), I'd strongly suggest selling it for a Dual! (or better yet, a Roadster, I'm about to leave to compare my 2 ch. to one, updates tonight! :D)

Haha, yup, time for me to make an appearance - first off, the 6L6's are power tubes, so they have no effect on the preamp; the only way to run the preamp harder is to turn up the gain knob! ;) Also, unfortuately, apparently pulling two tubes out of the triple recs doesn't work quite as well as on 100 watt amps, here's a quote from a thread about the subject over at the Boogie Board:

So if it's too loud for you (and I can easily imagine, I know it'd be too loud for me!), I'd strongly suggest selling it for a Dual! (or better yet, a Roadster, I'm about to leave to compare my 2 ch. to one, updates tonight! :D)

I am hanging around for the comparison, you need to convince me to grab a mesa, I hope the roadster is better than the recto. I dont know why I want one, I just do!:hotjump: