hmmmmmm

the sound overall is pretty poor compared to mantle, but this might not be a final mix? (yes i'm listening to a full quality version of the song)

but

with certain reservations (like some of the wah guitars) this fucking rules. so there.

EDIT: yeah the sound is poor alright. what did they do to the god damn cymbals!

Yeah, this is definitely starting to hit me on the 3rd listen. I'm still trying to grasp how there are all these new influences, but if you really look at it, their style hasn't changed much.

Erik said:
in general, about 75% of the world's guitarists should have their wah pedal license revoked

Haha

Jamez: So the new album isn't going to have guitar solos.
K1rk: ...but...but....what about my wah wah? *cries*

ERIK said:
with certain reservations (like some of the wah guitars) this fucking rules. so there.

Sounds a lot like self-persuasion to me :)

I like the song but... 4 years in the making to eventually find out that they're heading the barren rock/metal road? Can't suppress a slight WTF honestly...

*shuts up for good this time and AWAITS THE FUCKING ALBUM*

The intro riff sounds like GYBE when they reach a climax
(huh huh huh)
the next part sounds like "Brave Murder Day"
then the wah part like "Elegy"
then the Mogwai/GYBE riff again
then the utterly perfect Haughm vocals
etc.

And yet it all sounds like Agalloch

you know what i don't like about the direction agalloch has been heading recently is basically that they replaced all the more complex/melodic harmony leads they used to have with the kind of two-note, very simple stuff that's very prevalent now -- i don't necessarily think it works all that well in building up climaxes etc (as that's apparently what they're trying to do) all the time. if that's post-rock influence then fuck you, post-rock. in fact, fuck you regardless :)

Dick Sirloin said:
The intro riff sounds like GYBE when they reach a climax
(huh huh huh)
the next part sounds like "Brave Murder Day"
then the wah part like "Elegy"
then the Mogwai/GYBE riff again
then the utterly perfect Haughm vocals
etc.

And yet it all sounds like Agalloch

I'm going to wait for the real thing and not listen to this mp3 but based on that post alone, all I can say is: SOLD.

From the Vendlus forum:
"Keep in mind, this is a rough mix, even the some of the vocals have been re-recorded for the album." -JWW

Also, you can't judge a songs production from a poor quality stream or mp3.
And Agalloch have always sounded like Katatonia--less so on the Mantle, but it's there.

This song will probably own my computer for the rest of the day.

"Keep in mind, this is a rough mix, even the some of the vocals have been re-recorded for the album." -JWW
that's great. it really does sound pretty much like shit, the drums are really overcompressed

Also, you can't judge a songs production from a poor quality stream or mp3.
mine is avg 209 kbps VBR mp3. if you can hear the difference between that and uncompressed audio you basically don't exist

04:57 -- god damn is it just me or is that drum fill really untight

Well, I thought you were saying that the riffing/leads/whatever weren't as complex as usual.

i said leads. but where the FUKK does the comparison to bmd enter the picture? 100% irrelevant, the goals of BMD aren't even CLOSE to agalloch

Yes, I agree that they don't have the same goals atmosphere-wise. I was only saying that riffing, as far as complexity goes, is similar to... "Murder" for instance.

also for an example of what i mean, that agalloch doesn't really do anymore:

listen to "she painted fire..." pt. 1
from 02:04 to 03:54 there is CONSTANT lead guitar, of epic proportions

i LOVE the lead work on pale folklore

Dick Sirloin said:
Yes, I agree that they don't have the same goals atmosphere-wise. I was only saying that riffing, as far as complexity goes, is similar to... "Murder" for instance.
yeah but you're discussing riffs, i'm discussing leads. ok. i never said anything about riffz