hmmmmmm

Dick Sirloin said:
Listen to the first 20 seconds of the song, then "Greet Death" by Explosions in the Sky or recent Mogwai. The guitar tone/delivery is dead-on.

Didn't hear any obvious similarities at first, will listen again...I'll admit that some of the BMD-ish parts did have me shaking my head, but in no way have they regressed...

I'm pretty sure at this point that I'd like Agalloch better if they abandoned most of the metal that remains in their sound. This is what turns me off of listening to Pale Folklore, having already grown accustomed to The Mantle.

I'm pretty bored of it now, and don't really have any desire to listen to it again.

BUT of course as part of the album as a whole it might work better.

M.Lehto said:
Wasted my time with this, I've tried and this band just doesn't click with me.

Even Pale Folkore?

Erik said:
^ this post doesn't make sense at all

Well, in a way it's similar to Nemtheanga's reservations about the production on... Spirit the Earth Aflame, for example. I believe you've seen the DVD documentary on The Gathering Wilderness, yes? He talks about a more organic sound with more breathing room. Now, sure, I'm not a sound engineering student, but I know what I like, and having grown accustomed to Agalloch's more organic/expansive, less "metal" sound on much of The Mantle, I have a bit of trouble adjusting to Pale Folklore, and I get the same vibe from by 2-3 listens to "Falling Snow." We'll see.

I think that the leaning towards a more organic production on The Mantle went hand in hand with the neo-folk influence and the more European/Romantic aspect of the music as well. Not that those themes aren't there at all in the band's other music from what I've heard (everything except those two EPs with remixes of Mantle songs and such).

I guess this really just goes to show how different people's interpretations of art can be. If you try to say you're right and I'm wrong, I'll laugh in your face, but otherwise there's nothing wrong with anything that either of us is saying, correct?

Well, that's of questionable importance anyhow, is it not? I've heard The Mantle hundreds of times, and beyond that, how significant can repeat listens possibly be? They prove you're a huge Agalloch fan, given, but does that essentially equate to a better understanding of something as subjective as my preferences as to my recording/stylistic preferences?

Naturally I haven't heard Pale Folklore THAT many times. I mean, that is obviously implied in my above posts. I do own it, however, and have given it a few listens. I will keep trying, but it just doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for.

For what it's worth I don't care how well defined "organic" is in whichever field you mean. I've explained in very limited detail my understanding of the term, and as long as you're talking to me about it, why base your retorts on an understanding that I never professed to begin with? What it pretty much comes down to with regards to the sound of The Mantle vs. Pale Folklore, I think it can be summed up pretty well in terms of sonority. The Mantle has a fuller, deeper sound, and to me this extends from the lead tones to the use of various percussion to the sound of the acoustic instruments to the arrangements, etc. Naturally, I don't have as firm an understanding of Pale Folklore as I should to make this distinction, but that's why I originally brought up the fact that having grown accustomed to The Mantle, going back to PF was a bit of a rough transition.

And I hear in "Falling Snow" an abandonment of the qualities I found appealing in The Mantle, and at the same time the return of some of the things that made it harder for me to appreciate PF. The whole point of saying that in the first place was to acknowledge that I should return to PF and give it a fair shot without comparing it to The Mantle as much as I have in the past.

Erik said:
(especially pale folklore, being the best album ever written

I thought it was "Brave Murder Day", or was it only the best album ever recorded?

My favourite Agalloch song is "Kneel to the Cross" on the "Of Stone..." EP, and it's not even an Agalloch song. Both "Pale Folklore" and "The Mantle" work wonders as full-scale listening experiences but somehow this band has never squeezed my scrotum the way it might have with some more... dunnowhat. By that I mean that I absolutely never listen to them between March and November of *insert random year*.

"Ashes Against the Grain" is yet far from a blind purchase at this point.

Ellestin said:
I thought it was "Brave Murder Day", or was it only the best album ever recorded?
both are the best albums ever written/recorded, depending on which of them i listened to last, or which of them is being discussed.

On the other hand it would be pretty dumb to kill one's enthusiasm towards a forthcoming release by listening 24/7 to a mildly disappointing teaser. I'd rather wait for the big pictchar now.

true dat, nigz.

it's just that generally samples of awesome albums are better than this of convincing me to listen to them all the fucking time

Ellestin said:
On the other hand it would be pretty dumb to kill one's enthusiasm towards a forthcoming release by listening 24/7 to a mildly disappointing teaser. I'd rather wait for the big pictchar now.

Agreed, I rarely let myself get swayed by repeatedly listening to low quality prerelease samplers or leaks...not reaching any conclusions on this song until I hear it in the context of the full album.