Holidays in Stockholm

Shankao

H.O.A.X.
Dec 1, 2003
Madrid
shankao.blogspot.com
Hi all!!

The first week of July I will stay at Stockholm!! To people who knows the city.... could you suggest me:

1. Some Metal pubs. :headbang: :kickass:

2. Essential places in Stockholm.

3. Essential places surrounding Stockholm (if it's needed, we will rent a car)

Thanks a lot in advance and best regards from Spain.

Hi all!!

The first week of July I will stay at Stockholm!! To people who knows the city.... could you suggest me:

1. Some Metal pubs. :headbang: :kickass:

2. Essential places in Stockholm.

3. Essential places surrounding Stockholm (if it's needed, we will rent a car)

Thanks a lot in advance and best regards from Spain.

i hate you, do you know that???? :Smug:
i've received your email....i'll reply when possible... damn work!!!!!

Stockholm is a truly wonderful city, I'm sure you'll enjoy your time there!

The Museum of National Antiquities (Historiska Museet) is worth a visit, with a great exhibit on Vikings, and good interactivity. Ensure you take a walk around Gamla Stan, enjoying the medieval cobblestoned alleyways and archaic architecture. Also Skansen on Djurgården is a huge open-air museum which displays true life replicas of traditional Swedish architecture, and you can see wolves and moose here if you're interested and not travelling to more remote areas.

¡Hola!

1. No idea, really. Pub Anchor perhaps. Other than that I only saw Opeth in Sthlm once and that wasn't even in a metal location.

2. Disgustipated already suggested a few "Stockholm essentials". I recommend to buy a card for public transport, there is one which is valid for 7 days and you can travel as much as you like within the city. With that you can probably also use the lift in the Kaknästornet (a tv tower) for free (at least that was the case with 1- and 3-day cards the last time I checked) and have a look on the city from above. You also shouldn't miss out on Stadshuset (city hall) plus going on its top to have that postcard view on the city, a walk around the disctrict Södermalm and if it's fine weather I'd also take a sightseeing tour with a boat (only city sightseeing or perhaps to Birka on Björkö). Another fine weather recommendation would be a trip out into the archipelago, Vaxholm being a famous example.

3. A little more outside is Sigtuna, reportedly Swedens oldest "city". Can be reached by bus. Might be nice in summer, I have been there only once in the cold with sludge everywhere.
I also absolutely recommend a day trip up to Uppsala, you can get there easily by train.

Enjoy your holiday! :)

I'd say avoid Pub Anchor, I've been there once and it's full of wannabe rockers who are only interesting in picking up girls. Go to a pub called Rocks instead for some really nice people and music.
If you want to pick up some cool records, movies and clothes and stuff you should go to a place called Repulsive Records.
One place you really shouldn't miss is the Vasa museum, where they have the royal Vasa ship which sunk on it's virgin ride in the 15th century. They've collected all the parts and rebuilt it, quite surreal to see.
As other people said you should go to Uppsala for surrounding places, if you're interested in old stuff. There's big 1500 year old king graves and runestones and old churches and much more stuff. You shouldn't expect to see much nice nature around Stockholm or Uppsala though.

You could take a trip to Birka (the modern name's Björkö). It's an island in the lake Mälaren so you can take a boat from Stockholm. There are several trips offered every day. Birka was one of the most important trading markets of Northern Europe in the middle ages. Nowadays there's a museum, some reenactors showing you how the life was like back then and stuff. But unfortunately there are no traces of Viking towns or something. It really is for tourists, so don't expect too much. But still worth a visit! ;)

I really liked this metal karaoke bar when I was there, but I really have no idea what its name was :p .

If you're into Viking stuff do visit the Handfaste Viking Shop. It's expensive but they've got really good stuff. That store is located in a commercial part of Stockholm, there was a small metal/music shop when I was there.

Also, go to these museums:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/josephy/2840913255/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/josephy/2840913289/

They're certainly very nice, and one is (literally) behind the other, more than worth the trip. I don't remember their names right now, but I'm sure someone here knows.

¡Mucha suerte! :)

No idea about pubs, but bands mostly play at odd places: Södertälje, Sollentuna or even Upplands-Väsby (actually small towns in the area of big-Stockholm) may be the places where the action is.

I really recommend to walk around in Gamla Stan around 5 or 6 am. In July you already have sunlight and you skip the annoying tourists - otherwise it´s over-overcrowded by picture-taking folk. Another thing you shouldn´t miss is Museum Tre Kronor : placed under the royal palace it shows the history of the old castle that once was situated there. If you are interested in runestones and petroglyphs there´s a lot to see in the city too.

Don't forget about Tomte och Troll! That is a great shop, they will give you a history about the "tomte" and "troll" and you can buy things, like... the puppets or whatever you want to call them.

Stockholm is a decent city, I've only been there twice. Personally, I would have chosen east coast. Stockholmers are in such a hurry to get nowhere. Göteborg has more "metal" things, if that is what you're looking for. There is a more quiet part of Stockholm where it is more relaxed like a picnic area with resturaunts and small shops, very nice place. Uppsala is nice, a lot to see there! But if you want to see nature, I would travel to Norrtälje, but not in the city, travel a bit outways and you will see BEAUTIFUL nature.

You won't want to leave, I can assure you! But don't get upset if you don't get to see everything on your trip, there are many years ahead of you which you can see more and more.