HOLY FUCK!

You enthusiam is infectious! Downloading now.

Edit: I don't care what any of the naysayers say, the chug riff with the harmonic and incredibly deep growls knocks my socks off! I think this is the first time I've gotten goosebumps to an Opeth song in a very long time. Given the fact that I don't really listen to metal anymore, it surprises me how excited I am about the fact that they seem to have taken a definitively heavy turn. This song is just BRUTAL.

I've listened to this album a couple of times now and I must say that I still haven't wrapped my head around it completely. That seems to be a common theme among Opeth fans, but it's never been hard for me to get into Opeth. I did have some trouble with Morningrise, but I instantly fell in love with Still Life, MAYH, and BWP, or at least enjoyed them when I was first exposed to them.

I have to say that I am enjoying it more than Deliverance and Ghost Reveries. Those two albums were off-putting to me from the get-go. The Lotus Eater definitely seems to be my favorite track still. I'm not sure what I think about the album just yet, it just hasn't sunk in. I don't hate it or love it, it needs some more time to be digested.

It seems vastly different is all and it's definitely new territory for Opeth. I mean, how about that proggy 70's rock key solo in Burden? It's different unlike how Deliverance and GR were different for Opeth. This album isn't quite as conventional as the other two.

I've listened to Burden probably 10 times this afternoon. I can just keep listening to it over and over again. Someone on the Tabit forums brought up an interesting opinion that I hadn't thought of and that I completely agree with. He said that if you take away all of the heavy moments, this album is what Damnation should have been. I can see how someone who really likes Damnation wouldn't agree with this, but as I never cared for it (compared to other Opeth albums), it seems accurate to me. They (Opeth) said that it was going to be a mellow, proggy album and I always felt dissapointed by the outcome. This stuff, especially Burden, Hessian Peel and Hex Omega fit that exactly. I definitely like the new progressive rock approach that this album takes and I can't help but walk away from the listening experience thinking that they must have had a lot of fun writing/recording it. It seems to shine through in some areas, which only adds to the appeal for me. Overall it was just a really fun listen for me.

Edit: That mellotron solo is definitely one of the highlights of the album in my eyes.

Yeh, fucking adore this album. Burden's solo brings Deep Purple to mind immediately. I actually couldn't say which is my favourite song atm.. It'd have to be songs.

And i totally agree, when i was listening to the album i could tell they must've had a blast recording it. It has a great deal of energy and some really interesting parts and ideas implemented. I think Mikael was being very honest when saying the band is fresher than ever.

This is for all you Damnation haters out there...

DSCI0138.jpg

burden slays, in that old-fat-bald-45-year-old-beer-gut prog man sort of way. i love it.

Well I have listened. I will listen again. I think I pretty much lov iet. However I was a bit thrown when I heard the female vocals. Not that that is a bad thing. I like female vocals. I just wan't ready for it in Opeth.