TYPE O NEGATIVE Post New MP3, Address Illegal Music Downloading

loudsilence

Empty
Nov 8, 2001
Albuquerque, New Mexico
In response to the recent Internet leak of their upcoming CD, "Life Is Killing Me", TYPE O NEGATIVE have made available for download a full-length MP3 of the track "The Dream Is Dead" via their official web site at this location. In addition, the group have taken the unusual step of publicly addressing the illegal-downloading issue via a lengthy message from keyboardist/producer Josh Silver.

Silver's message reads as follows:

"My position is simple. It is totally irresponsible of who ever did this to have used TYPE O in this way, whatever his or her motivation could have possibly been. This is how I see it going. The TYPE O record comes out. 62,580 people have already downloaded it.

"Now this may seem innocent under the guise that everyone will buy it anyway. But here's the deal. Without much anticipation, there's no big rush to get an album, everyone's been hearing for two months already (and I'm not referring to the people on this site). I'm talking about an average fan who figures 'well next time I'm in the store or on a p2p I'll get the real thing'. The effect is then a lower first week chart number (estimated to drop at 10- 20% by the corp. world due to downloads) which in turn puts less pressure on the large institutions to play TYPE O on the radio, or give any type of video support. Then it's time for us to move on and get another record deal. Mr. (or Mrs. or Ms.) A&R Scumbag says 'look........... they're [sic] last album only entered the charts at #49. This will of course generate a smaller offer because industry scum's [sic] rarely see anything but statistics (though there are exceptions and very few). This is not purely about money (though I wouldn't mind some) but about keeping a band going strong after 13 years. Without the outward appearance of a big first week push there's no snowball effect, which causes interest in the album to fizzle out, which otherwise may have been a surprisingly strong showing. Now artistically I don't give two shits what's out there. But in order to continue making a living through music it's necessary to pay the bills. Was this done to generate a 'buzz'? No way. It is my opinion that downloading copywritten [sic] material, is the same as walking into a store and stealing a pair of pants. I know this view won't make me popular, but I don't give a fuck. Other bands are doing 36 minute albums, fine for them. We do 75 min. records but due to the fact were not mega sellers we need the press to get our message across. So were stuck giving out material in advance to be reviewed for the exposure. I'd had hoped there would be a degree of responsibility exorcised [sic] during this process but never really expected it. People suck. Steal my pants? I'll shoot you in the fucken back."

dude your from fucking ALB!!!!

wow i am like an hour away

that is cooll

sorry went a little off topic but you are right

if an album leaks you can abandon all hope of good record sales

I see both sides of the story..The artist has to break even and sell enough units for the label to get out of debt, but the fans want a sampler of the new disc..
The technology is already out there and the only compromise is for bands to make mp3's avalalable on an mp3 site..
Sounds fair enough..-l-

I can see what he's saying. I mean, the bands get shit for CD sales as it is, you know? I personally don't download things before they are released, but I don't necessarily knock the people that do. I listened to the song as well...pretty badass. I'm a huge Type O fan and can't wait for the release.

I never download stuff before the album is released, but then again I never really download mp3s at all, they sound like shit. Okay I will admit to rabidly searching for that long lost Nirvana song a few months back.

My most anticipated album release so far was Tool - Lateralus, I can honestly say I lost sleep during the few days before it's release, but I never downloaded the songs. I hate to kill the anticipation!

Lateralus was a VER tightly secured release. It only leaked about 3 days before release...or at least that's what I thought :blushes:
I had to make due listening to the sample of Schism that the band put up on toolband.com
It was definetely an experience to listen to that album all the way through without having downloaded anything...sadly, I couldn't resist Damnation, but I'm ordering it tonight.

And yes, I will wait for Life is killing me...I was downloading some of the songs, but now I see silv's point and I won't finish d/l-ing it.

I steal music from/off of the internet. We all have had this discussion before.

If my band is ever popular enough that people download and trade my music on a p2p program I would be very lucky. Its a GREED issue. They want more money and its their right but I dont agree and Ill follow my own morals not from a band.

If I copy your car and drive it around is that stealing?

How much do artist get for a cd, cents right, well give me the artist address and Ill send them 50 cents per cd, thats more then what they make right.

I have maby 50 cds and almost all of them where bought becouse of the internet not inspite of the internet.

I came into many of the bands I listen to becouse of those programs (p2p)

/rant

I remenber exactly that the new TON albums was leaked a wek ago; as soom I downloaded...some people here read my other topic about the new album. The album is fucking killer....the label put in every song a "whatermark" and that really suck...but my point is that most people have the album already and you can preview...I will order mine ASAP...like I did with damnation.

I've actually found that on most of the tracks it is possible to edit out the voice over without messing the sound up too bad, you just need lots of experience with a wave editing program!

As a DJ I want to be able to play tracks off the new album to an eagerly waiting crowd, without that harsh american accent piping in every song (got a few odd looks on Friday night) - though I totally applude the record company for putting it in.

I did briefly think about putting my edited version on p2p, but after reading Josh's message I won't be.

deathbearer said:
I don't feel that sorry for Type O Negative..Most bands make $ off of touring NOT record sales..Type O don't tour yet complain that they are getting ripped off by p2p programs.Yeh, really..

ACTUALLY, they do tour. They played in milwaukee just last year (actually, maybe it was 2001...can't remember). Their live show is a big part of their popularity, in fact. SO GET A CLUE :cool:

Azogue said:
Lateralus was a VER tightly secured release. It only leaked about 3 days before release...or at least that's what I thought :blushes:
I had to make due listening to the sample of Schism that the band put up on toolband.com
It was definetely an experience to listen to that album all the way through without having downloaded anything...sadly, I couldn't resist Damnation, but I'm ordering it tonight.

And yes, I will wait for Life is killing me...I was downloading some of the songs, but now I see silv's point and I won't finish d/l-ing it.

OMFG IT'S MARK DISCORDIA!!!!!! Greatest avatar ever!

wankerness said:
ACTUALLY, they do tour. They played in milwaukee just last year (actually, maybe it was 2001...can't remember). Their live show is a big part of their popularity, in fact. SO GET A CLUE :cool:
Actually I'm from New York (originally from NYC) and Type O Negative are from Brooklyn..Peter Steele has said that he HATES touring..Being from NY we get to see Type O Negative every year (as I already have a clue that they don't play Milwalkee on Haloween because the tour only hits NY and the East Coast! (No Haloween tour last year)..(wich is GREAT way to celebrate Haloween BTW)..It's rare to see TON as (yes there are embarking on a tour as they're going to Europe right about now) they really don't tour as much as they used too. TON's annual Haloween tour last for a grand total of TWO weeks..
2 years ago you saw them in Milwalkee, shit I see them in NY every year..And when was the last time Type O toured Europe? The west coasters would love for the Haloween tour to hit thier area..But nah, TON are native New Yorkers..Mwahahahah..
Good luck seeing them on Haloween, cause I do every year..lol..

Innbydelse said:
dude your from fucking ALB!!!!

wow i am like an hour away

that is cooll

sorry went a little off topic but you are right

if an album leaks you can abandon all hope of good record sales
I was born and raised in Pecos/Glorietta in San Miguel...whatever they call it now, hehe.

I am so looking forward to the new Type O Negative. It sux that someone stole the song and made it available. At least the band made it available now, but you gotta feel for the guys, they make their living off selling records and touring.