Holy mother of fuck, the #1 cd of 2004 at this moment in time is....

J. said:
only 2004 stuff I;ve heard is the new Orphaned Land, Eyes of Fire, the Finntroll EP, Drudkh, and Clutch. DOn't know which is the best, though.
well, a bit early in the year to set definitive choices, just state they're damn good but 'the best is still to come' eh.

Sure, DAT. But not everyone can afford a DAT player which will record @ 48kHz which will convert easily to 44.1 kHz WAV files (i.e. Windows PCM wavs, which are standard). MiniDisc is NOT ideal, but it's significantly better than MP3. I record @ SP speed, which certainly preserves as much as is physically possible for the player, and maintain frequencies well past 20,000 kHz, unlike a "typical" 128-bit MP3, which, as you know, drops right off the chart exactly at 16,000 kHz. Looking at it that way, that's 20% of the high-end frequencies *poof* vanished.

I don't know really; recording direct-to-MP3 would defeat the whole purpose of recording IMO, because there wouldn't even be a "true" lossless copy in existance then. At least by recording to WAV you have the option of compressing it for your own personal use.

Unless you're not talking about that...

In which case, then yes, there are things like the Nomad Jukebox or something called a JB3 (whatever that is) that are portable players and can record in 44.1 wav. Of course, the best, most affordable solution is the new HiMD, which just came out in Japan. These new MiniDisc players can record up to 2 hours in 44.1 wav files now, so the days of shitty, poorly compressed MiniDisc recordings (which obviously still exist somewhat) should begin to disappear.

I'm buying a DAT soon though. :D

Yes, no doubt about it. The analog conversion I guess irks some folks, but I've yet to actually figure out what the downside is (other than it not remaining purely digital throughout). I can't tell from the audio, that's for sure.

Most DAT tapers also have a standalone DAT deck for digital transfers, though I just don't have that kind of cash. The size of the recording device is key, and those Nomad or JB3 things are a tad large IMO. You have to remember, it's smuggling these things into shows, and then needing to keep them someplace during the show without being obvious. Even 1/2-an inch larger is a HUGE difference. I'll look into them though, I like the USB transfer idea.

lurch70 said:
This new DA is growing on me ... Mark is doing some diverse things on each track as far as vocals ... I think this will crush live. There is something missing in the production on this record ... some more punch in the drums would have been nice.
Finally heard the new Death Angel. First of all, I don't know why we're comparing to Exodus, to keep in line with the thread, my two minor issues with Tempo of the Damned were Steve Souza's vocal delivery and the fact that the album begins to blur about half way through.

Well, Death Angel's new album has INFINITELY better vocals (Mark Osegueda has never sounded this good) and the songs are so fucking varied, it's easy to listen to the entire album and pick each inidividual song out through it's own 'identity' as it were. Again, I would attribute this to Osegueda since he's singing actual vocal melodies, and they're extremely prominent.

However, I don't think the production on the new Death Angel is better than the new Exodus. I don't think the guitars sound quite as sharp - in fact, they're even a bit fuzzy (but that's the Punk in DA I guess), and I also feel that they've overcompensated by building a "wall of sound". In other words, you're hearing multiple layers/tracks of guitars on The Art of Dying whereas Andy Sneap specifically only laid down single guitar tracks for Exodus. I just think there is something more genuine with the latter. A bit more 'Angus & Malcom Young'. :)

In my opinion, when it comes to the month of December 2004, I have a feeling that I'll be listening to the new DA more than the new Exodus. For that reason, I'll give my vote now to DA.

My score on first listen: 8.5/10.

my two minor issues with Tempo of the Damned were Steve Souza's vocal delivery and the fact that the album begins to blur about half way through.
That's funny, as I love Souza's vocals and feel on the contrary about the bluring at the halfway point. I do like Oseguda's vocals a lot as well, but I think the new DA is a little confused about what it wants to be. It's like they were trying to please the fans of "every" one of their previous releases and while a good record ... it is a little bipolar so to speak.

Production wise, the Exodus one completely kills the DA one. I still feel there is something big missing on the new DA production wise. For example, I have not heard it since Sunday and really have not had the desire to.

lurch70 said:
That's funny, as I love Souza's vocals and feel on the contrary about the bluring at the halfway point.
Yeah, each time I've listened to it, my mind has shut off at "Forward March". Thing is, if I START the CD at around the mid-way point, I'm loving it. I just can't take it for more than 20 minutes at a time. Did you read my review Aurel?

I do like Oseguda's vocals a lot as well, but I think the new DA is a little confused about what it wants to be. It's like they were trying to please the fans of "every" one of their previous releases and while a good record ... it is a little bipolar so to speak.
That's a good observation. That might become clearer upon more listens, but the fact that it's so diverse keeps me interested right now. Shit, that's why I loved Act III. It looks like they've progressed on the Act III sound and merged it in with earlier trademarks from Ultra Violence.

Production wise, the Exodus one completely kills the DA one. I still feel there is something big missing on the new DA production wise. For example, I have not heard it since Sunday and really have not had the desire to.
Yes, the Exodus production is stunning (for that type of album). However, I wouldn't say the production on DA is bad as such, it's just not quite as good.

Just because Sneap only laid one track each doesn't necessarily make it better. I think DA have always been interested in layers and textures and The Art Of Dying completely continues where Act III left off. They've always had diverse directions within one album.

Plus they all sing. Different tracks have different lead vocals.

Plus they all sing. Different tracks have different lead vocals.
I gave the DA another spin last night. But in another way ... just listened to random tracks off the CD. What I noticed is the same ... different vocal styles on a lot of tracks.

Also noticed that tracks, individually, stand out, but playing them in the sequence of the record makes everyhting sound like a mish-mosh ...

Thrown, 5 steps, evil incarnate still are the standouts ... land of blood for example is waaaaaay too punkish. Anyway ... it is growing on me, but still feel it is a little confused.