holy shit! i just found a ringneck snake!

FuSoYa

Lunarian
Nov 9, 2001
Brooklyn
lifesci.ucsb.edu
you west coast and southern people probably think, no big deal, but for the northeast, it's totally impossible to find ANY kind of snake, and ringnecks are really, really rare (not endangered - just very difficult to find).

snake2.jpg

Are you keeping it?
I haven't seen a snake in years, but the town I just moved to has a great pond that's full of frogs. Also, I have to be on the look out for rattlesnakes.

my roommate really wants to keep it; we can rationalize it by the fact that I have to dismantle this entire rockpile and it can't live there anymore anyway. i think we'll keep it for the summer and let it go at the end of the snake season. truly this is the first snake i've seen in the wild for like 15 years.

snakecharming would be fun to learn (if it didn't require much time) - i imagine it only works w/ some species though amirite

edit: o, and you'd need one of those flute thingys
edit2: + you'd probably also have animal rights groups on your back
edit3: ok so according to wikipedia (FACTS U CAN TRUSTLOLO) snake charming is actually a scam :(

Yeah, I see quite a few too many snakes where I am right now. We've had a couple of years where timber rattlers have been a problem up here.

In the Santa Cruz mountains I usually run into a dozen or so snakes of varying types while I'm hiking. A couple of times I've seen a few hundred swimming in streams and small ponds.