Holy Shit @ Nickelback

Mendel said:
Dudes,

My GF bought last day the new Nickelback Record called: All The Right Reasons.
I'm Telling ya I never heard a mix sounding that fucking good almost never in my live.
The guys who mixed the record are Randy Staub and Mike Shipley.

Im not fucking around the amps sound realling fucking cool and crunchy.
The basekick is right on the stop (especially on the first track drum intro )

And then the Snair... FUCK. go take a listen to it and judge. Don't be like: This isnt death metal. Im saying ya, this record sounds amazing , That guitar crunch... OMG ><!

yeah man nickelbacks mixes are amazing for sure. Randy Staub mixes them who also mixed the black album and a zillion other amazing releases. He is most definitely one of my favorite and what i consider one of the best mixers out there.

Questions on that article - is there any specific reason why one would record something in mono and then add stereo effects to it? Does it stay mono if you do that or does the stereo effect render it stereo? Am I going to make the world end if I record a single-SM57 mono track in stereo because I don't know what the hell I'm doing?

Jeff

JBroll said:
Questions on that article - is there any specific reason why one would record something in mono and then add stereo effects to it? Does it stay mono if you do that or does the stereo effect render it stereo? Am I going to make the world end if I record a single-SM57 mono track in stereo because I don't know what the hell I'm doing?

Jeff
you can't 'record a mono "track" in stereo'.. you can record mono source in stereo, but the stereo content comes mostly from the room/space around the source and the resulting localization of the source in the stereo field your two mics are picking up.

what they are refering to in that article is simpler though. example: a single vocal track with a reverb send brought up a bit and the reverb unit's stereo ouputs returning on two channels panned left and right, or a stereo aux return, with an effects/dry mix of 100% wet within the reverb unit's settings and mixed to taste with the dry vocal. like in just about every mix since stereo was made available to consumers. \m/

that one song they have on the radio that has double bass made my nips get hard... well maybe not that, but i liked the production and its great to hear a mainstream band use double kicks. on a side note im pretty surei heard the strokes use double bass on a track from their new album.

James Murphy said:
and i will buy a CD without question or care for whether i may like the music or not simply if it says "Mixed by Randy Staub" on the back. i do the same with almost any CD mixed by Chris Lord-Alge or his brother Tom, Andy S., Andy Wallace, Colin R., and a short list of a few others.:

Fuckin a, the Lord-Alge mixes are some of the best sounding stuff ever. I have heard some interesting rumors about the mixes though......

madbutcher said:
Fuckin a, the Lord-Alge mixes are some of the best sounding stuff ever. I have heard some interesting rumors about the mixes though......
that was a pregnant remark if i ever read one.

care to elaborate?

James Murphy said:
that was a pregnant remark if i ever read one.

care to elaborate?

I was going to see if anyone else heard it, but guess not. I've heard that Tom has a huge rack of gear that he uses on every mix, and actually gets an assistant to run everything through it the way he wants, like drums always go through gear a and b, and guitors go through gear c and d, ya know. And the assistant pretty much mixes the album, then Tom comes in, and tweaks a few knobs and levels here and there.

madbutcher said:
I was going to see if anyone else heard it, but guess not. I've heard that Tom has a huge rack of gear that he uses on every mix, and actually gets an assistant to run everything through it the way he wants, like drums always go through gear a and b, and guitors go through gear c and d, ya know. And the assistant pretty much mixes the album, then Tom comes in, and tweaks a few knobs and levels here and there.

Bullshit. He definitely has a lot of gear though.

madbutcher said:

I think you mean Chris? He is asked about these rumours in this interview:
http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_chris_lordalge/index.html

"What's this rumor that you don't like to change settings on your outboard gear?

It's true. On the limiters, that is. Rather than change a setting, I'll just buy another one and set it differently.

You're putting me on.

No, that's what I do. That's why I have so many. I have that one set for a certain sound, this one set for a different sound. I just power them up, plug them in and they're on the best setting. I change the EQs, but that's it. The limiters stay set to the optimum setting for that limiter. It's part of the gig; it helps the repeatability."

yeah... the rumor you heard was total bullshit and comes from CLA's statements in that interview. i love they way rumors get started... so ridiculous.

Yes..recent Metal albums are among the worst sonically--and its not by design like punk. There just seems to be a lower standard.

Although Nback is so horrible and fake... their mixes are sonic heaven. That too can get old too..its good to mix it up if your an established band

But Dream Theater ,who has always had great sounds, did something interesting by asking Michael Brauer to mix their new record. It came out so rich with space and texture that it added something to their discography that many bands should consider.

But You know something is wrong when all people mention about a song is the kick. They wont like a song because they think a different snare should have been used. Talk about not seeing the forest through the trees:) . Many times people are listening for a "sound" that fits their preconceived blueprint instead of listening for a "song".

I have been around a long time--I saw the rising of Sabbath and Zeppelin and Purple..and trust me..not one of those bands rose because of their kick drum sound. Just put on any of your favorite old bands and you'll see it was the song and not the sound because cardboard was the flavor of the day.

So Im about balance...mixes should be better in Metal...but this insistance on a certain kick or snare sound is completely missing the reason why people listen to songs.

If i've read that article right.. The Mesa that i thought was a mesa is actually bloody AMP FARM???? Or what? A combination? Will read through the article more when i get chance fo sure.. hmm or is this just for a roughht mix then.

Phase said:
Yes..recent Metal albums are among the worst sonically--and its not by design like punk. There just seems to be a lower standard.

Although Nback is so horrible and fake... their mixes are sonic heaven. That too can get old too..its good to mix it up if your an established band

But Dream Theater ,who has always had great sounds, did something interesting by asking Michael Brauer to mix their new record. It came out so rich with space and texture that it added something to their discography that many bands should consider.

But You know something is wrong when all people mention about a song is the kick. They wont like a song because they think a different snare should have been used. Talk about not seeing the forest through the trees:) . Many times people are listening for a "sound" that fits their preconceived blueprint instead of listening for a "song".

I have been around a long time--I saw the rising of Sabbath and Zeppelin and Purple..and trust me..not one of those bands rose because of their kick drum sound. Just put on any of your favorite old bands and you'll see it was the song and not the sound because cardboard was the flavor of the day.

So Im about balance...mixes should be better in Metal...but this insistance on a certain kick or snare sound is completely missing the reason why people listen to songs.
i most certainly buy CD's because of the "sound" and not the music quite often... that's because i'm a producer,mixer, and engineer that likes to check out the current work of my influences and peers and get some insight. i also listen to a lot of music simply because i love it, despite the sound quality. you sound like you think people are 100 percent polarized into two camps on this issue... i do not think this is the case and it certainly isn't for me. i live in between, like everyone else here, i'm sure. FYI, i have a 3000+ CD collection and a 1200+ vinyl collection. very few of them, percentage-wise, have "that perfect kick sound (of the moment)" but i listen to them anyway. you can't expect people on here to focus on songwriting subjects... i love music AND the technical side... it just happens that most people come here to discuss the technical side. this does not mean that anyone here places certain sounds above songs. just wanted to clear that up, from my point of view anyway.

James Murphy said:
i most certainly buy CD's because of the "sound" and not the music quite often... that's because i'm a producer,mixer, and engineer that likes to check out the current work of my influences and peers and get some insight..

Hi James

Think about what you just said. Dont you see you dont qualify? You dont represent any real percentage consumers if your buying cd's to check out other engineers work. You basically missed my point

A growing trend on recording forums is to expect the kick, snare, or whatever to be what *you want to hear. You cant say everyone responds the way you do because its just not reality. I hear these kinds of critiques all the time

Yes, some people are balanced in their view but anyone here can confirm that when they put up mixes, here or other forums, a certain percentage of people are blinded by their own favorite set of sounds and overlook that the mixer made a judgement. A cardboard cut out of your favorite sounds, at the moment, sounds your not sick of yet, is no way to judge music

I saw Andy get absolutley killed on another forum about an album he did(I dont think he read it and I wont mention where or the album) but it was exactly what Im taking about. These were not fans of the music...they were basically the Pharisees sound police. If Led Zeppelin played Communication Breakdown for them they would have crucified them--completely ingnoring the song because of its sound.

BTW Im not talking about poor sound quality..thats different. Im talking about sound decisions

Phase said:
Hi James

Think about what you just said. Dont you see you dont qualify? You dont represent any real percentage consumers if your buying cd's to check out other engineers work. You basically missed my point

A growing trend on recording forums is to expect the kick, snare, or whatever to be what *you want to hear. You cant say everyone responds the way you do because its just not reality. I hear these kinds of critiques all the time

Yes, some people are balanced in their view but anyone here can confirm that when they put up mixes, here or other forums, a certain percentage of people are blinded by their own favorite set of sounds and overlook that the mixer made a judgement. A cardboard cut out of your favorite sounds, at the moment, sounds your not sick of yet, is no way to judge music

I saw Andy get absolutley killed on another forum about an album he did(I dont think he read it and I wont mention where or the album) but it was exactly what Im taking about. These were not fans of the music...they were basically the Pharisees sound police. If Led Zeppelin played Communication Breakdown for them they would have crucified them--completely ingnoring the song because of its sound.

BTW Im not talking about poor sound quality..thats different. Im talking about sound decisions
ok, yeah, i misunerstood your point. sorry. i agree with you actually this type of phonomenon you are describing i've noticed a lot recently and it's usually coming from young guys who are in their first couple of years of knowing anything at all about audio.... and unlike other professions, Audio Engineering "students" are automatically full-fledged engineers whose judgments are tip-top just as soon as they buy Cubase, Drumagog, a couple mics, and throw up some auralex, right? oh yeah, and that's a "studio" xCOUGHxbedroomxxCOUGHx, right?

hey, these are great songwriting tools and excellent to have, compared to nothing, for practicing to become an audio engineer... and if you have a spare bedroom... well rock the hell out then, and record and mix as much as you can.... but when one is in one's first few years of pro audio the best thing they could do is shut up and listen, rather than criticizing the work of actual pros..... listen. to the music, the mix, and to the advice of anyone with more experience.

just my two cents to add to your point. sorry again for missing it earlier.

James Murphy said:
yeah... the rumor you heard was total bullshit and comes from CLA's statements in that interview. i love they way rumors get started... so ridiculous.

I think that you are referencing my earlier comment....

Mad Butcher said that he'd heard the rumours about TLA, not CLA. I don't know anything about Chris, but one of my good friends assisted for his brother over at Enterprise for a year or so before Tom moved to Miami. I learned a lot about TLA's techniques from him. I also learned some of TLA's studio philosopy through my friend, and I carry that with me everyday of my life along with some wise words from Mike Shipley (who always complained of a "rise" at 300Hz in our "A" room).

In the Mix interview, CLA didn't say anything to make one believe that the assistant "pretty much mixes the album". It is customary in the big studios for the assistant to have the engineer's requested effects, inserts, etc. up and running when the engineer walks in the door - especially for a guy that's bringing in BIG $$$. But, as a 2nd, you'll do it for anyone who books the studio and requests it beforehand. Obviously, these guys (CLA,TLA) have enough money and clout to do what would be deemed eccentric by most, and they take advantage of that.

Just as a side note, Randy Staub did a several week long mixing stint for Lars' label at the studio, but I was on a different session and didn't get to work with him. Bummer. There was a massive thunder coming out of that room I tell ya!!!

James Murphy said:
just my two cents to add to your point. sorry again for missing it earlier.

Hey. Thanks. I think I just didnt explain myself well....it wasnt you.:kickass: