Holy Shit @ Nickelback

stringy_ said:
Hey James, on a side note, I was on Daath's Myspace page recently and listened to Ovum. Was that some of your work?

If it was, can give you give me a little info on that guitar tone?
yeah, that track is from the mixes i did last year... the guitars i reamped through a dual rectifier and a recto cab, with a 57.... the pre was an avalon 737

i recorded 5 more songs for them this year to round out their album, which comes out in Feb. on Roadrunner, and this time i used a 5150 with a recto cab and a 57.. the pre was a Vintech.

that track from last year was mixed in Digital Performer. i'm mixing in Pro Tools HD these days, though i still use DP a lot for pre-production and some editing.

James Murphy said:
yeah, that track is from the mixes i did last year... the guitars i reamped through a dual rectifier and a recto cab, with a 57.... the pre was an avalon 737

i recorded 5 more songs for them this year to round out their album, which comes out in Feb. on Roadrunner, and this time i used a 5150 with a recto cab and a 57.. the pre was a Vintech.

that track from last year was mixed in Digital Performer. i'm mixing in Pro Tools HD these days, though i still use DP a lot for pre-production and some editing.

Cool, thanks for the low down!

I thought I heard Recto in there, but my amp guessing has never been too accurate.

The pics on their Myspace page also show one of the dudes playing a Gibby Gothic Les Paul. A Recto and mahogany Les Paul, seems like it might be an overly bassy combination. Hmmm, worked out great though. That tone is pretty tasty!

I've never liked mahogany guitars, it seems I'm the only one though. Haha! Maybe it's because I'm soooooooo used to alder bodied Jacksons.

Seizure. said:
Just checked this out! guitar tone is indeed realy good and i like the snare and kick! but why didn't you cut of the guitar noise in the beginning james?
because it was meant to be there... we did it on purpose. surely this isn't the first time you've heard something like this?

stringy_ said:
Cool, thanks for the low down!

I thought I heard Recto in there, but my amp guessing has never been too accurate.

The pics on their Myspace page also show one of the dudes playing a Gibby Gothic Les Paul. A Recto and mahogany Les Paul, seems like it might be an overly bassy combination. Hmmm, worked out great though. That tone is pretty tasty!

I've never liked mahogany guitars, it seems I'm the only one though. Haha! Maybe it's because I'm soooooooo used to alder bodied Jacksons.
it's just a black LP Studio, not the Gothic one... they don't own a Mahogany LP.. maybe you are seeing one of Emil's PRS's. oh, wait... yeah, if it's shots from the studio you are seeing my partner's LP. that one was only used for a few overdub parts.

anyway, the rhythms were recorded with that black LP Studio and a G&L Strat... both outfitted with EMG's.

Sorry to get off topic, but my band played a fest with Daath last month and they had nothing but great things to say about their experience with you, James. They were all pretty chill dudes as well. Looking forward to hearing this album.

back on topic i think randy staub is v underated and gets a bit of a raw deal as everyone talks about how great bob rock is (well not anymore but they did) for the black album etc but it was old randy who engineered, mixed etc. the nickelback and hatebeed albums he's mixed sound fantastic!:kickass:

nwright said:
Sorry to get off topic, but my band played a fest with Daath last month and they had nothing but great things to say about their experience with you, James. They were all pretty chill dudes as well. Looking forward to hearing this album.
yeah, they are great guys... extremely talented and have a great sense of humor.
:headbang:

Someone in this thread mentioned that the guitar tone at the beginning of Long Road Ahead was amazing...I decided to check that track out to see for myself, and he was right. That IS one killer guitar tone. I decided to try to match it by ear b/c it's definitely a tone that I could see myself using a lot for rhythm tracks.

Here's the results...First clip is Nickelback, second is me:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=594917

Haha yeah, that was me and... there's a ways to go yet.

Hard to believe that was done by simply running the guitar through a Triple X and Triple Rect and having a SM57 on each individual cab. Massive sound.

Recommendations on improving the tone? I think I need a little more bass, and possibly lower the high mids a tad. I think the essence of the tone is there.

Brett - K A L I S I A said:
Funny cause Nickelback's guitar sound always shouted "MESA BOOGIE baby !!!!" to me, didn't know there was a XXX in that as well...

The XXX has a tone that's pretty similar to Mesa. The other guitarist in my band plays one.

So what does my tone need more or less of? I think it sounds pretty damned close...I know it's not quite there yet, but I'd really like to nail this one.

Sounds a little bit thin compared to the original man. Sounds as if a high pass was used on yours at way too high a frequency (not to say you used one, just that it sounds that way. The NB version sounds like it gets a bit of body and high end from the dust cap of one of the amps, I think thats the secret to the fullness.
I also made an attempt at this but wont be posting it up since im lazy, and the playing sucked way too much.

Funny you guys should mention all of this .....

My CD player crapped out in my car so for the past month I have been listening to the radio alot and i have just been blown away by what ive been hearing on the "hard rock / nu - metal" front ....

As previously stated the new nickelback (whos guitar tone is just douwn right fucking metal as it gets) and Stone Sour have me really really wanting to pick up those CD's

theres also a few others, Alter Bridge (they do the Phil Collins cover In The Air Tonight) the new Disturbed, and the new GodSmack (minus the weak ass kick drum) all have some amazing stuff going on in the production departments. The new Slipknot soung sounds badass aswell. Joey is just tearing up the drums in that fucker.