Holy shit, people are still afraid of terrorism?

NAD

What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Jun 5, 2002
Kandarian Ruins
Well this article is about money concerns (and of course measuring "success" by how rich someone is :rolleyes: ), but this is what caught my attention:
them shitz said:
A survey released Tuesday by U.S. Trust Corp., a wealth management firm owned by the Charles Schwab Corp., found that the affluent are most worried about whether their kids will have a tougher life financially than they do. Their second biggest concern is terrorism — which was No. 1 last year — and their third fear is the steep increase in educational costs.
So that is still an issue, huh? People don't realize that 9/11 was not the first such attack on US soil, and they think that it was capital-T Terrorism that did it?

Yes yes, we've gone through this before, but I'm shocked that it is STILL an issue. Been nearly 4 years since 9/11, I'm not sure if I'm shaking my head in shame or am proud of Americans actually remembering something that didn't occur within the past 15 minutes.

...found that the affluent are most worried about whether their kids will have a tougher life financially than they do.

Some hard work never hurt anybody. Of course "tougher" is relative.

not o freak out anyone BUT:

my best friends lawyer's wife is a high ranking officer in the NYPD and she told him a few weeks ago that the massive blackout on the east coast 2 years ago was indeed a terrorist attack. seems they were trying to test the vulnerability of the grids.

notice how the whole issue was dropped by the media practically the next day after power was restored ...

also I still have to see remains of the plane that crashed on 9/11 in Pennsylvania

Runaway Jackson Michael Bride Michael Jackson Runaway Pope Bride Dead Pope Schiavo Pope Jackson Michael Runaway Runaway Jackson Michael Bride Michael Jackson Runaway Pope Bride Dead Pope Schiavo Pope Jackson Michael Runaway Runaway Jackson Michael Bride Michael Jackson Runaway Pope Bride Dead Pope Schiavo Pope Jackson Michael Runaway Runaway Jackson Michael Bride Michael Jackson Runaway Pope Bride Dead Pope Schiavo Pope Jackson Michael Runaway Runaway Jackson Michael Bride Michael Jackson Runaway Pope Bride Dead Pope Schiavo Pope Jackson Michael Runaway Runaway Jackson Michael Bride Michael Jackson Runaway Pope Bride Dead Pope Schiavo Pope Jackson Michael Runaway Runaway Jackson Michael Bride Michael Jackson Runaway Pope Bride Dead Pope Schiavo Pope Jackson Michael Runaway Runaway Jackson Michael Bride Michael Jackson Runaway Pope Bride Dead Pope Schiavo Pope Jackson Michael Runaway Runaway Jackson Michael Bride Michael Jackson Runaway Pope Bride Dead Pope Schiavo Pope Jackson Michael Runaway Runaway Jackson Michael Bride Michael Jackson Runaway Pope Bride Dead Pope Schiavo Pope Jackson Michael Runaway Runaway Jackson Michael Bride Michael Jackson Runaway Pope Bride Dead Pope Schiavo Pope Jackson Michael Runaway Runaway Jackson Michael Bride Michael Jackson Runaway Pope Bride Dead Pope Schiavo Pope Jackson Michael Runaway

One Inch Man said:
Yes yes, we've gone through this before, but I'm shocked that it is STILL an issue. Been nearly 4 years since 9/11, I'm not sure if I'm shaking my head in shame or am proud of Americans actually remembering something that didn't occur within the past 15 minutes.
I'm not exactly clear where you're coming from on this? Do you feel that it's not soemthing to be concerned about? While it's not something I think about every day, and I don't live in fear of terrorism, I do have a wife who works in NYC, and for me it's certainly a concern.

Zod

General Zod said:
I'm not exactly clear where you're coming from on this? Do you feel that it's not soemthing to be concerned about? While it's not something I think about every day, and I don't live in fear of terrorism, I do have a wife who works in NYC, and for me it's certainly a concern.

Zod
Terrorism is something that has happened before and will happen again, and it operates on such a low individual level that I don't see it ever truly being "prevented." I'm no more or less concerned with it than I have ever been, and I found it funny that something like terrorism would be the #1 or #2 concern for the rich. Does the gov't still use that color coded Terror Alert System? Maybe that is what keeps part of the general public alarmed constantly.

I pretty much stopped watching TV news around election time. But yeah, that makes sense that there have been no terrorist warnings since, I mean afterall once the terrorists saw that THE ALMIGHTY JUNIOR won again they cowered in fear!

One Inch Man said:
Terrorism is something that has happened before and will happen again...
Yes and no. While there had been incidents of terror, there had obviously been nothing on the scale of 9/11 previously (in the continental U.S.)

One Inch Man said:
it operates on such a low individual level that I don't see it ever truly being "prevented."
I don't seeing it being completely prevented. But from an intelliegnce community perspective, I'd hope we'd never allow ourselves to be caught so completely unaware, unprepared, and genrally clueless as we were back on the day.

One Inch Man said:
I'm no more or less concerned with it than I have ever been...
What state do you live in?

Zod

lizard said:
anyone notice that before the election there were frequent terror alerts, but not one since?
Yep. In the weeks before the election, it was completely obvious that politics was driving the alerts. The strange part to me, is that it was used to Bush's advantage. Why anyone would feel safer with a moron at the controls, is beyond comprehension.

Zod

General Zod said:
Yes and no. While there had been incidents of terror, there had obviously been nothing on the scale of 9/11 previously (in the continental U.S.)
True.
Zod said:
I don't seeing it being completely prevented. But from an intelliegnce community perspective, I'd hope we'd never allow ourselves to be caught so completely unaware, unprepared, and genrally clueless as we were back on the day.
Yeah, but we weren't clueless, that's the problem. It was an infastructure problem, certain branches weren't communicating and others weren't listening anyhow. I'm not sure how the Homeland Security crap has resolved any of that, other than making it a bigger consolidated bureaucracy which I generally don't find a good idea. I don't really know, but my guess is that we're just monitoring flight school applicants now, and ignoring any other possibility. That's the pessimist in me talking of course.
Zod said:
What state do you live in?
California! How long you been on the team now? :loco:

bottom line ... if they want to do an attack ... they will ... nothing will prevent it.
i don't give a shit how well prepared the powers that be are.

NYC is so vulnerable it's not even funny. How many times I walk around with my firends and see situations where for some reason ... it always pops into our mind ... "if I was a terrorist I could get away with shit here"

lurch70 said:
How many times I walk around with my firends and see situations where for some reason ... it always pops into our mind ... "if I was a terrorist I could get away with shit here"
No shit man, I've always thought stuff like that. What cracks me up is that the gov't is dead set on cracking down after 9/11 right, only ONCE have I seen security at a higher level than previously. It was at the god damn Palladium in LA, they were screening everybody for every possible little thing and it took 2 hours to get inside to see Oysterhead. Once inside about 50 weed pipes popped out too, excellent screening. :loco:

Well, airports take an extra hour to deal with, but it isn't exactly different than before. Oh, I had to take my boots off in LaGuardia. :Smug:

all they have to do is ... plant a bomb in a tunnel of the Subway system in NYC ... right where it goes under the Hudson River.
The whole few hundred miles of the system would be completely flooded. [/grim visions]

my friends father who is an engineer explained to us once what other consequences a small explosive device like that could cause ... the chain reactions of it.

fuck that would be horrible.

JayKeeley said:
Or the one at the White House.
you mean the pentagon? actually there are some really suspicious things about that, some people think it was a missile or a military jet or something other than a commercial aircraft that hit the building due to the lack of debris or jet wash over the adjacent freeway right before it hit...the Government supposedly confiscated all the security tapes of nearby businesses that might have caught it on tape. i dunno if i believe it but if you look at pictures it seems like a 747 should cause a lot more damage. spooky o_O