Home almost commercial quality (???) metal recordings if you want to check out

overseer

New Metal Member
May 31, 2010
I recorded this using a shitload of plug ins:
Drums i hooked up the drummer from an electric kit then used Superior Drummer 2 sounds
Guitars a Digitech GSP1101 taking out it's amb simulator and replacing it with impulse responses
Bass used the Ampeg plug in again with impulse responses
All electro and choir sounds were either pro tools plug ins or Eastwest choirs/synths used a lot of compression/eq's on this.
Acoustic Guitars were done via a RODE condenser mic closed up. You can hear the acoustic sounds on the song First Contact for the intro.

No vocals have been recorded atm as we are currently looking for a singer.

Basically just did a shitload of Compression and EQ on everything to make it pop out.

You can hear the songs at our myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/morningstarAD

Also bit of shameless promotion:

vox_ad.jpg

I don't think this is really anywhere near "commercial quality" but you know what? That doesn't fucking matter. This has got a great vibe to it.

Thanks dude :) It's mostly just a demo to get our band out there and help us find the singer. Of course something which we felt could show what the instruments are doing in a clear kind of way.
After going out to a few "pro" studios and them repeatedly butchering the feel of the songs i decided to give it a go myself as i was sick of wasting money (quite a few grand!) and time on engineers who would do their own thing and ruin the tracks for us.

Yeah, I'm one of the few on here who seems to take feel over shiny production so take my words with a grain of salt I suppose.
This sounds good though man. Nice and clear, not harsh, not really crystalline and perfect but it's cool and vibey, so yeah, totally gets a thumbs up from me.

not commercial quality, but these songs are amazing. The structure, riffs and orchestration is phenomenal IMO. I get a The Faceless kinda feel as far as a spacey extraterrestrial sound in some riffs and samples. Keep it up!

Thanks man! The faceless are great they give me an otherwordly type vibe with their riffs.

I've been trying to incorporate orchestra type synths along with darkish trance electro to give it that more futuristic vibe, trying not to overdo it of course as I still want the main melody to be guitars driven.

After hearing quite a few of user recordings on this forum i definitely agree it's nowhere near commercial release ready but at least it should be ok if we send it out to promoters or maybe even labels later down the track (i hope!)

could you please post the song here?

i don't know why my computer can't play song from myspace.

Sounds awesome man i really like the synths... I think its Demo Qaulity but nowhere near commercial quality :D great production though

Lovely! it'd be nice if those repeating notes could be a little more agresive. But anyway, that's miles better than everything i've done so congrats! At first it reminded me of Necrophagist, later on the song it took a whole different direction.

The music was amazing. Wow! <3

If you ever want to release tracks here so we can try mixing one of those songs, please do so.

They're great.

thanks everyone for taking a listen and the feedback, means heaps to us!

Dnlrvltn: When i play i usually pick fairly hard altogether but i think cause of the compression that I needed it in order to sound "kind of" real or at least less of a plug in feel for the guitars it took away from the intensity in certain sections. haha funny I didn't realise it till now but yeah that intro riff does sound kind of like necrophagist!

P-E: That could be interesting not sure how I would go on uploading them tho? I imagine I would consolidate it and then send the WAV files over? altho that could be a few gigs in itself?

Derfbonker: believe me we wish we could be there or europe as living in australia it is VERY tough for metal. A band can release a great international quality album but an average generic sounding pop punk or indie band would get signed light years before the metal band!

Hey JayB are you talking about that riff after that "alien rave" section? haha
Yeah i'll admit i lived on the lightning/puppets and specially justice albums through all my teens so those influences will pretty much always be there!

Holy hell.... I can't wait to hear what a vocalist will do with this.... hopefully you can record him while he is having a seizure to get the full effect of it. :) First Contact reminded of Vinny Moore for some reason....if anybody here knows who that is. Your drums need a lot of work but I like the scooped guitars and the chuga, chuga, chuga on Harvesting.

Some serious talent here. Bravo.

P-E: That could be interesting not sure how I would go on uploading them tho? I imagine I would consolidate it and then send the WAV files over? altho that could be a few gigs in itself?

Yup, send the wave files over. For the drums and synths send the midi files (few kilobytes only). We got plenty of good shit. Superior (Metal Foundry/NY Avatar), SSD... stuff by east west including Ra, Reason...