New tech/prog/soundtrack influenced metal band - Home Recording

overseer

New Metal Member
May 31, 2010
Just thought I would share my latest band recording with you guys here, after spending quite a few years experimenting with quite a lot of effects/pre-amps, impulse responses etc.. I have finally found what I believe to be a decent sounding home recording and EP quality.
Actually I learned a lot by lurking through this forum! So by all means let me know of how it's sounding on your end :)

Drums were done via electric kit triggering into superior 2, guitars using the axe-fx preamp straight into the mic in but with a lot of impulse responses for the different cab sounds, bass d.i used Ampeg plug-in then into impulses, all choirs and electronics/orchestras, pianos were done via plug-ins and software by eastwest.

Acoustics were recorded with a RODE K2 condenser, and same with clean vocals. Heavy vocals were done with an SM58 although after recording was finished I found about the SM7 mics which are made for heavy vocalists and regret not getting that one to try out.

I usually heavily compress/parallel compress quite a number of things to really get it sounding big/wide and of course quite a few effects to make it all gel and give it space.
Also since I recorded all the guitars myself I quad tracked everything, since it's easier to keep in time with yourself than if another musician was playing as well I have found. This i found made it have a LOT of size than just recording the guitars once or twice.

You can hear 2 different style of songs at our facebook:

"Harvesting the Slave Race" is a more all out heavy technical style track while "Shiva's Dream" is a lot more story driven even tho it is very technical and progressive in parts. It also uses quite a lot of orchestras, pianos mixed underneath the band so mixing it was quite a bit more tougher.

Feel free to join our facebook page too if you like as it's only few days old and could use a few more friends on there :)

http://www.facebook.com/godsofeden

- Danni

470248.jpg