Home recording 6505+/mesa/sm57

Ihatemicplacement

New Metal Member
Aug 5, 2021
Hello all. I have a question some of you might be able to answer. I'm really into recording and mixing and am limited by my environment for the best possible sound (no studio/lab etc) but I want the best possible sound.

So my preamp is a pod x3, which takes the sm57 XLR signal and sends it to the pod x3 > USB > PC.

I'm wondering if I bought a different preamp, and used an XLR input from that into a 3.5mm jack or an XLR input to VGA or DVI adapter, into the PC, instead of the USB from the pod. Would I get better and more fatter sound quality? Or not really?

TLDR: Is the USB from my pod preamp into my PC reducing potential quality?

I've also posted a pic of my setup. Pic : https://i.imgur.com/X4dzR4L.jpeg

Thanks all.

Hi,

can't tell you for sure that it'll sound better, just an advice: Get a good Audio Interface. Especially if you plan on progressing in recording and mixing. It just isnt worth it to spend so much on Gear (like a proper tube amp etc.) and then limiting yourself on the way into your pc.
I can recommend the Audient Interfaces as well as Motu. Im currently using a Motu M2, which has nifty features, like a display for the signals and enough in and outputs to reamp. Also stay away from Focusrite (just personal experience).

Cheers

Hi,

can't tell you for sure that it'll sound better, just an advice: Get a good Audio Interface. Especially if you plan on progressing in recording and mixing. It just isnt worth it to spend so much on Gear (like a proper tube amp etc.) and then limiting yourself on the way into your pc.
I can recommend the Audient Interfaces as well as Motu. Im currently using a Motu M2, which has nifty features, like a display for the signals and enough in and outputs to reamp. Also stay away from Focusrite (just personal experience).

Cheers
Thanks for the response. I actually just bought a focusrite 2i2 and New pickups and it sounds way better. Why do you not like focusrite? I tested back to back the 2i2 vs the pod and the 2i2 sounds clearer and more pronounced.

I have both a Focusrite 18i (1st Gen) and Apollo Solo, both sound great recording guitars and everything else...

I do a lot of my stuff in my home studio, you can go to my website in my signature > portfolio and have a listen at what I've been able to achieve in a bedroom. (Moving into the official studio in 1 month!)

Last edited:
Using a decent mic preamp, like the one on the Focusrite, and an SM57 or an Audix i5, you can get really good guitar recordings.