home recording

Zehm

Aug 3, 2008
North Carolina
what's the minimum setup required to do some home recording?
i don't need anything for producing full demos. i just want to experament with vocl layering and counterpoint and such. also i expect it'll help me with precision.

I would say just a good microphone that you can hook up to a computer with some kind of recording software on it.
But I have no experience with home recording other than using an audio extractor with a video camera.

Audacity wouldnt be astart unless you were doing rough masters.

I do home recordings all the time.
www.myspace.com/groanuk
www.myspace.com/ministerbonesaw

These are done at minimal cost. I have a Line 6 Pocket POD, Mixcraft 4, EZDrummer (and various add ons) and a 50p desktop microphone. I do music technology propperly at college n such, but i cant afford a lot yet. me and Si from Covet Chaos are getting a few mics and an 8 track so we can record drums. But theres no need to buy a load of gear until you have the technique down and you can get the best possible sound as you can.

If you get the POD and use that, the tones may sound good to you when youve recorded them, but you could buy Amplitube, which is an awesome guitar amp emulator. Better than recording with some head amps id say. But basically, i wouldnt ever use it for distortion, ever. Just get rid of all the pedals and amps and racks on there but use the cab. Having a good cab tone on there is very helpful and makes the tone so much better. Another thing you could do is buy this http://recabi.net/site/trybuy/ It isnt software but it runs through things like Altiverb and works off impulses, great cab sounds.

As for the microphone. Just make your own pop-shield (i have used crisp packets, socks, t-shirts and even a plastic cup for a certain sound). And then just adjust the gain to your voice, but make sure you have a good compressor VST to keep the levels constant because these microphones arent really designed for vocals at all.

WEEEE

You can get a USB microphone I think. Actually I think the Rock Band microphone (which is USB) works really well for recording.

Id advise against a USB microphone and get something you can plug into the line-in of your computer. Otherwise youll have to record the microphone through the sterio mix,a nd microphones arent sterio, they're mono, so itll probably be hard panned to the left, and the quality wont be as good as it could be through the line-in.

Cubase 4 works okay, I used that at the studio I used to work at. But for you I'd suggest something a little simpler, I have a friend who knows about this shit (he records his stuff at home) so I'll ask him.

zoom_h2.jpg

The zoom H2 is the best recording device ever!!!!
I use this with audacity and record different tracks,then layer them together..................it works absolutely amazing,and it sounds professional.