homeowners/renters....let's talk heat...specifically oil

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
I know this is probably about as far from audio engineering as it can get, so sorry for that!

I've been doing my homework and trying to estimate how much heating oil I will burn per month. All sorts of factors come into play. Anyway, I have a dilemma:

Renting about a 1,200 sq/ft house. Oil heat/hot water. In the crawl space, there are 2 tanks (which I believe are both 250-275 gallon). There is only a gauge on one of these tanks, and the line to that tank is shut off. We got 150 gallons delivered (minimum order) on October 25th. I'm starting to get worried that we are running extremely low, but I have no way to tell what is in the tank.

I hear stories of guys going through 200 gallons a month, and other stories of 150 gallons lasting 3-4 months. We have a bit of a big open living room, cathedral ceiling, slight drafty windows. Going to seal off what we can asap. We also have an electric space heater in the living room which is matching the temp on the oil thermostat. Running about 64 day in/day out.

Just looking to see what amount of oil, on average, the peeps out there with oil heat/hot water go through. Obviously, size of house, insulation, etc all come in to play. Anyone?

Totally depends on the temperature and whether there are any extended cold spells. My house is about 1400 sq ft and 150 gallons will get me through a month or even two at the beginning or end of winter. However I have gone through a whole tank in a month before if Jan/Feb is really cold. Sealing the windows is good like you said and turning it down to 58-60 during the day helps alot.

Damn, I'm an ignorant mofo. I had no idea people used heating oil in this day and age. I got to get out more often. :lol: Oh, sorry I can't help.

I know this is probably about as far from audio engineering as it can get, so sorry for that!

It's the OT section. No need to apologize.

I hate oil heat. FWIW in the NC mountains I had a 1000sqft place where 100 gallons lasted from November to march.

That's awesome!!

I'm hoping we can pull 3 months off this 150 gallons, but it's doubtful. I'm thinking we're probably burning around 2-5 gallons a day.

Seeing as the cost of 150 gallons was fucking $520.....I'm REALLY hoping it lasts longer than a month. :/

Our other guitarist got either 250-275 gallons within a few days of us getting our oil and he says he has almost used half of that, in a 2-story house with his heat set at like 60. So yeah...guessing we are probably about empty. Just don't want to run dry in order to find out, but that's really the only way to tell what our usage may be....as well as there was a "little" (?!?) in the tank from the previous tenants.