homerecording

My good old 3GHz Core2Duo with 4 Gigs of RAM.
Still good enough for lots of guitar and bass tracks even with virtual amps and cabs.

Work with what you got, you can always print tracks and VSTs / do things in separate projects, whatever you gotta do. Obviously a nice comp is better, I recorded the first Divinity album on a piece of shit Dell and it turned out alright.

2.4 should be fine. It might be a problem with audio drivers - if you're running with the standard game/multimedia drivers in Windows, you're going to have problems with performance for music production, almost no matter what your cpu/memory specifications are.

2.4 should be fine. It might be a problem with audio drivers - if you're running with the standard game/multimedia drivers in Windows, you're going to have problems with performance for music production, almost no matter what your cpu/memory specifications are.

is a macbook pro aluminum 2008

Dell Inspiron 5110 Laptop. Core i7 2630Q, 8GB DDR-III 1333; I'm pretty happy with it, but as someone above said, it's very important to have a good audio interface with stable drivers for it. As I have a crappy Lexicon Omega USB 1.0 interface, despite of the good hardware I still have problems with latency and cracks sometimes.

i'd recommend any quadcore laptop. Made a huge difference for me, although I went from a quadcore tower anyway.

2011 2.3 Ghz i7 quad here, best purchase ever !