How about a Van Halen report?

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
Wicked how about a Van Halen report? I know you were heading to see them a few days back & I haven't read anything on the show. Would you be willing to update me & TVF? Seems like there's really only the three of us that "care" about Van Halen....
I was disappointed to read that this reunion, isn't a done deal & may just be for this summer leg...
They skipped Portland, OR for the first time in decades!!!!
What the hell was that about?!:cry:

Yeah...I missed them when they came to KY a couple months back but the rumor is that they'll come again to Lexington this fall...but like SIXX said, is it really a reunion or just a summer tour? Here's what I don't understand....EVERY band that puts out a new album and ESPECIALLY a band that's been around as long as VH and has a certain "legendary" status (whether you love 'em or hate 'em you gotta admit they're up there with the big boys...Zeppelin, Metallica, Stones, KISS, VH..in terms of fame and longevity, that is...) usually does a ton of press. I mean, when Metallica puts out a new album you can't pick up a magazine without seeing an interview with them...but the ONLY press VH has done as far as an official interview is Ed's short thing in Guitar World??? I see Ed on the cover and think OH HELL YEAH and then it's like a 2page blurb with him mostly talking about his life. Why ain't they doing more press and promotion?!??! Nothing....geeeeeez.

alright, alright. I don't know the order of the set, but i remember just about every song. They opened with Jump, and also played at one point, You Really Got Me Now, Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love, Somebody Get Me A Doctor, Unchained, Panama, Dreams, Why Can't This Be Love, When It's Love, Poundcake(Eddie pulling out the drill from the video and playing it on the guitar), Best Of Both Worlds, Right Now and Top Of The World, in addition to a a solo by each member. The Eddie and Alex ones were especially great :). At one point, during Michael's bass solo, he pulled out his old Jack Daniels bass(from the Panama video), and he pulled out a little Jack bottle from it, threw it to the crowd, then pulled out a regular size Jack bottle, took a swig, sprayed the audience, and kept playing. Each member were great, top of their games, Sammy never sounded better, and nailed every song, including the DLR songs. Worth the $80, especially for Eddie and Alex's solos.

That's about it, really.

sixxswine said:
Seems like there's really only the three of us that "care" about Van Halen....

Oh, no, I like VH ALOT too !! my first record ever was Woman and Children first and I like the Sammy period just as much.
Saw them live with Sammy and they put up a great show!!
I also like the DLR albums a lot, although a lot 'softer' than what I usually listen to. I think the Vai - DLR - Sheenan- Bissonette lineup was awesome.....

sixxswine said:
Wicked sounds like one hell of a show. Was Laidlaw the opening band?
If so what did you think of their watered down Skynyrdisms?!
I will not miss these guys if the chose to get back together for good.]
Worth 80 bones for sure...
The opener was some band called Shinedown. Apparently, they did a cover of Skynyrd's "Simpleman". But we didn't get to hear it, because we missed them completely. We came JUST in time for VH.

Wicked Child said:
The opener was some band called Shinedown. Apparently, they did a cover of Skynyrd's "Simpleman". But we didn't get to hear it, because we missed them completely. We came JUST in time for VH.
SHINEDOWN is pretty good. They did cover the skynyrd track, I think I would have done the same & showed up just for VH.:tickled: