How can I do this in Cubase?

Jul 31, 2012
NJ/NY
Hey guys! I'm sorry if this has been talked about here on the forum previously. I did some research and couldn't really find what I was looking for. If there's a thread or post answering my question, just direct me to it if u can!*

Anyway, I noticed people here are recording effects to track. I read that people sometimes use compression and a de-esser to record to track (so you don't have to put a comp as an insert and so u don't have a bunch of compressors running at the same time). Btw, I'm running cubase at the moment.*

I figured out a way to do it which was to add a track. Put a comp, and a de-esser on the insert slots. Then set up a group channel and send that track to the group channel. Lastly, create another track with the input set to the group channel. Then when I want to record, I would hit the record enable button on both tracks. Then just keep the tracks with the printed effects on them.*

Is this how it's usually done or can I do it a much easier way? Thanks for the help guys!

Hey guys! I'm sorry if this has been talked about here on the forum previously. I did some research and couldn't really find what I was looking for. If there's a thread or post answering my question, just direct me to it if u can!*

Anyway, I noticed people here are recording effects to track. I read that people sometimes use compression and a de-esser to record to track (so you don't have to put a comp as an insert and so u don't have a bunch of compressors running at the same time). Btw, I'm running cubase at the moment.*

I figured out a way to do it which was to add a track. Put a comp, and a de-esser on the insert slots. Then set up a group channel and send that track to the group channel. Lastly, create another track with the input set to the group channel. Then when I want to record, I would hit the record enable button on both tracks. Then just keep the tracks with the printed effects on them.*

Is this how it's usually done or can I do it a much easier way? Thanks for the help guys!

I use Cubase, but i'm not sure exactly what you're trying to achieve.
If you know the settings of the plugins you want to apply, you can right click the unprocessed recorded track (or several), click plugins, and apply/print the plugins directly onto the audio.
Otherwise i'm not sure why you would want to process the tracks immediately as they enter the DAW.

I use Cubase, but i'm not sure exactly what you're trying to achieve.
If you know the settings of the plugins you want to apply, you can right click the unprocessed recorded track (or several), click plugins, and apply/print the plugins directly onto the audio.
Otherwise i'm not sure why you would want to process the tracks immediately as they enter the DAW.

I know about applying plugins directly onto the audio files, but if I were to do that, then I'd rather just put the plugins on the inserts. And why would I do this? Because compressors and de-essers are usually a must in my case so instead of having a thousand compressors running at one time, why not save some CPU and just print the effects on the tracks (because that track is going to need it anyway and it would be a pain to go through all the vocal tracks and apply the same plugins with the same settings (at least in my workflow)

Why don't you freeze your tracks? By doing this, you save up your CPU usage and you can de-freeze your tracks, if you have to change some settings. just click on the freeze button and you're done

Saving CPU isn't really my MAIN concern ya know? I just figured it would work much better in my workflow. I was just wondering if there was an easier way to do this

Top Ground Studios: there is an easy way to do it.

-click F4, create your mono input (as an example)

-click F3. on the left, you can see your inputs, then your tracks in the middle, then your outputs to the right.

-select your mono input and put whatever you want in it's inserts slots.

-now your tracks will get the audio signal already processed by the the inserts section of your mono input. so the signal goes like this: audiointerface physical input N (which you assign when pressing F4) > mono input > mono input's inserts > your track where you have assigned mono input as an input:)

IMO it's the most worthless way to organize your workflow. Cubase has kindly provided this feature, but man, 8 slots are more then enough, you can save presets, load them anytime you want, I mean, why on earth would one want to apply irreversible !VST! processing while tracking? I can clearly see the reason if we're talking fancy expensive hardware, but even in that case I barely find it useful before the mixing begins.

-click F3. on the left, you can see your inputs, then your tracks in the middle, then your outputs to the right.

THIS. But I have to add that most people are talking about hardware compressors when they are compressing going in. If you are going to be using a hardware compressor it may be easier to have it there rather than running a bunch of tracks out to it afterwards. If you are using software compressors, there is no reason to record them on the way in, and if your are running out of processing power, just print them later.

Top Ground Studios: there is an easy way to do it.

-click F4, create your mono input (as an example)

-now your tracks will get the audio signal already processed by the the inserts section of your mono input. so the signal goes like this: audiointerface physical input N (which you assign when pressing F4) > mono input > mono input's inserts > your track where you have assigned mono input as an input:)

IMO it's the most worthless way to organize your workflow. Cubase has kindly provided this feature, but man, 8 slots are more then enough, you can save presets, load them anytime you want, I mean, why on earth would one want to apply irreversible !VST! processing while tracking? I can clearly see the reason if we're talking fancy expensive hardware, but even in that case I barely find it useful before the mixing begins.

Thanks man u are a life saver lol

+1 to Van Drill's answer. That's how I do it in Cubase as well. One extra step I take is I have one track for monitoring only, which is never armed, but monitoring is turned on, and then I have other tracks that get armed to record the takes. The reason for this is so that the vocalist can always communicate with me without having to fiddle with the monitor on/off.

I always track vocals with Waves RVox and/or the CLA LA-2A on the way in on the input. I do this because it prints what I am going to do to the vocals anyway, and it allows the vocalist to hear himself loud and clear the entire time while tracking. Once I get an outboard comp I will be tracking with it on the way in, replacing the plug-ins I use now. I see nothing wrong with this, TONS of engineers do this. It's pretty common, especially with guys that have outboard units like the UA 610 which has pre+comp+eq on it, etc. The only thing is you need to know not to go crazy with it, you can add more comp later, but you can't take it out.

+1 to Van Drill's answer. That's how I do it in Cubase as well. One extra step I take is I have one track for monitoring only, which is never armed, but monitoring is turned on, and then I have other tracks that get armed to record the takes. The reason for this is so that the vocalist can always communicate with me without having to fiddle with the monitor on/off.

I always track vocals with Waves RVox and/or the CLA LA-2A on the way in on the input. I do this because it prints what I am going to do to the vocals anyway, and it allows the vocalist to hear himself loud and clear the entire time while tracking. Once I get an outboard comp I will be tracking with it on the way in, replacing the plug-ins I use now. I see nothing wrong with this, TONS of engineers do this. It's pretty common, especially with guys that have outboard units like the UA 610 which has pre+comp+eq on it, etc. The only thing is you need to know not to go crazy with it, you can add more comp later, but you can't take it out.

Very well said! I'm using the rvox too actually!