How can I fix this guitar neck problem? (underbow by the body joint)

AD Chaos

MGTOW
Aug 3, 2009
Hey guys

I've been having this issue on a couple of guitars now (a backbow at the beginning of the neck, or body joint):

neck_underbow.jpg

Wasn't much of a problem the first time around, but with this other guitar I have a buzzing around the middle area of the neck (by the 15th fret, right where the backbow ends).

The action as a result can't be lowered as I'd like (without massive fretting in the middle area); visually, as you can see in the pic (not my guitar, just a sketch I made) the backbow [red arrow] goes from the beginning of the neck (by the neck pup) down to the 15th fret, and from there, there's what I would consider a 'normal' light underbow [blue arrow], right down to the nut.
The fretting problem is worse on the 6th string, even though the Floyd bridge is parallel and has the same height on both sides.

I don't think the solution is giving it more underbow (at least not from the headstock side of the truss rod) as it might strain the neck further I guess; I'm thinking turning the truss rod from the body joint (pulling out the neck pup) might be the solution? Also, is this kind of neck thing fairly common?

Anyways, thought I asked for any suggestions or advice first before messing with the truss rod, just to be on the safe side.

Thanks much- I appreciate the help :)

**Btw, header of the thread got fcked- I meant backbow :p

Set up the guitar by first adjusting the truss rod, then set the action and intonation. See my other post.

Some fretboards have fall away above the 15th fret, so if you have too much bow in the neck, it may be giving you the illusion that there is a hump at the upper frets. If you truly have a hump there, you'll need to get the fretboard leveled and refretted. I doubt this is your case, though.

Get the neck set properly first. Also, your truss rod is either going to be a top adjust (at the headstock) or heel adjust (facing the neck pickup).

If I understand correctly, what you're saying is that the bow really only moves from the 15th fret down to the nut? Because I do see a backbow by the body joint..
So, I should be giving the neck MORE bow?

The 'hump' in this case appears to be on the 15th fret, indeed.

And yeah in this case it's a headstock adjust. Never really pulled out the neck pup on this one.