Truss Rod adjustment....

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
So my buddy noticed that my neck is bowed last week. When I got the guitar, I set it up for Drop C (floyd rose) and all was well. Now, my strings are probably a few months old since my band hasn't been playing any shows and it doesn't get as much use. I've noticed the action is kind of high as well. It seems that the neck is bowed forward(?!) as in - the middle of the neck pokes out farther than the 1st and last frets. Yet, the action is pretty high especially up at 12th fret and above. He says it needs relief and I need to lossen the truss.

I want to fix this asap, as I'm guessing its a result of not changing my strings in a while, climate/temperature change, etc. But I've never done a truss adjustment and I'm not sure if I should take it to a shop or just try giving an 1/8th turn and see what happens.

Anyone have any tips or info?

You can definitely DIY but if you've never done it it's worth watching someone who knows what they're doing do it the first time. An 1/8th turn isn't going to hurt anything though.

Yeah I was just texting my buddy and he said to just dont be a pussy and do like 1/4 to half turn and play it a bit and see what happens. I watched some YT videos on it too and I guess I'll just take a stab at it.

Is it best to do with brand new strings on, or broken in strings? And should I lower my action before or after I adjust the truss?

For serious? haha.....

yeah for real. i keep the strings on so the tension reflects how it will actually be when playing. adjust it, play it a bit, check and readjust to your liking. i've been doing this for almost 12 years now and have never had a problem. if your still scared, do it on a $75 guitar first. i don't have time to make micro adjustments for 18 fucking hours.