How can I plug my tuner?

Heabow

More cowbell!
Aug 24, 2011
France
Hey

May sounds like a stupid question but I still ask :)

I used to track guitars and bass with amp sim using my J48 so the chain was:
guitar > J48 input > J48 thru > tuner

Now I'm using my amps and Recabinet, Torpedo, etc. The idea is to record the DI track + the amp track and to have the tuner constantly plugged of course. The amp is plugged to the J48 thru and I would like to avoid to put the tuner between the guitar and the the DI.

Idea to get the best sound/noise ratio?

I would remove the tuner from signal path altogether.

Tune before every take.

Exactly what I want and that's why the: guitar > DI input > DI thru > tuner was perfect. I was just wondering if it'd be a way to use the tuner in parallel now I'm using real amps. But yeah the tuner should def be removed. What a pain to unplug/tune/plug/record then unplug again... :erk:

@ Tony: sorry but can ya explain? Don't see how I can do it.

guitar > input DI output > input audio interface
DI thru > input amp speaker output > input dummy load output > preamp > PT

I cannot use the thru of the dummy box because if so, it disconnects the load. And the output has to be connected to a speaker (in that case it works like an attenuator) It's the Koch dummy box studio/PA.

You can place the tuner anywhere in the signal chain prior to a modulation effect. That being said, placing the tuner in-line within a recording path may either result in "tone suck" or introduce some tuner noise (sometimes a hash or even some ref tones). A passive split will also degrade the signal and change how the tube amp sees the signal.

I would take the DI signal once inside the DAW and route it either out to the tuner via the interface's audio out (if you have more than 2) or get a virtual tuner plug in (many Daw's have one included already). An easy option is a clip on headstock tuner. Another option is running a y cable from the amp's effect send and plug one end into the return and the other into the tuner, while this will drop your level, the effect can be easily made up (unlike prior to the input stage).

Andy www.diffusion-audio.com

Or try an A/B box like the Morley. I did it that way for years until I recently got a buffer pedal that has 3 outputs (Axess BS-2).

You'll be losing signal strength with the passive thru split and it changes the input impedance that the guitar sees.